8 × AK5578EN + 8 × AK4499EQ ADC/DAC Boards

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

You're right, these are the diodes. But look at the mezzanine board. The D1..D4 diodes were supposed to be mounted on the edge of the board. Instead, they've mounted them where the C_X2, C_X3, C_X6, and C_X8 capacitors were supposed to go. This works because D1..D4 and C_X2, C_X3, C_X6, C_X8 are on the same traces... They might have planned to use C_X2, C_X3, C_X6, and C_X8 to get more capacitance, then realized that they did not need it, and they might have figured that mounting the diodes closer to the DAC chip would be better, or that mounting these SMD components so close to the mezzanine headers could create some problems during assembly... Not sure...

In any case, we now know what these diodes are...

Some of us have known for longer than others ;)

You've been looking at the board far longer than I have... ;)

And so far, I was trusting the schematic. But no more...

I'll treat the board as the source of truth moving forward.

And I'll work as diligently as I can for us to get a trustworthy schematic.

If anything, this should be useful to anyone planning to use the AK4499EQ...

Last edited:
Diodes

Here is where the diode goes.

For reference purposes, I've picked the CRS09(TE85L,Q,M), because it was smaller than the other option recommended by Chris (thanks again Chris). The order of components on the PCB will match the one shown on the schematic (small capacitor closest to the DAC chip, diode furthest away, large capacitor in between).

Attachments

• Screenshot (144).jpg
    Screenshot (144).jpg
    631 KB · Views: 124
No Stereophile review yet, but ASR rates Benchmark HPA4 as slightly better measureing than the Neurochrome HP-1 here.

Massdrop THX 789 measures about the same as HP-1.

Well, I'm still on the fence regarding the headphones, trying to decide between the Audeze LCD-3 and the LCD-4. They have quite different requirements in terms of pre-amp, don't they?

Also, I am trying to figure out if the LCD-4z could be an option as well (no need for a pre-amp).

Well, that would save me quite a bit of money, which is always a good thing...

And in that case, the HPA-1 is pretty high on my list, if only for the homage to our friend.

I think I'll start with something "reasonable", like the LCD-X and a Massdrop THX 789. At $2,100, this combo is hard to beat. I'll train my ear on that, then upgrade to an HPA-1. Switching between the two pre-amps should help me appreciate the differences between switching power supplies and linear ones.

...then upgrade to an HPA-1.

Before you do that, while it sounds very nice, I can hear more IMD in HPA-1 than I do in Neurochrome HP-1. (That seems to be part of the trademark sound of Pass Labs products, a little bit of low order HD for those who like it.) Anyway, Jam has an HPA-1 he might let you listen to, but you need to know what to listen for. For dac development, probably lower distortion is better since one might want to know how much distortion is coming out of the dac and not have it masked by another source.

Last edited:
Before you do that, while it sounds very nice, I can hear more IMD in HPA-1 than I do in Neurochrome HP-1. (That seems to be part of the trademark sound of Pass Labs products, a little bit of low order HD for those who like it.) Anyway, Jam has an HPA-1 he might let you listen to, but you need to know what to listen for. For dac development, probably lower distortion is better since one might want to know how much distortion is coming out of the dac and not have it masked by another source.

That makes sense. I'll listen to Jam's next time I meet with him.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.