737 Max

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wait, that wasn't the ultimate problem, which was (from seeing other pics in the news) 1.5 fan blades coming off, making the turbine unbalanced and vibrating like all heck at full speed which then (I presume) caused the cover to come off. The article was derelict in not mentioning that.

There was the video showing the engine shaking around 5 Hz due to the turbine being rotated, presumably by air flow of the flight, at around 5 RPM. I don't know what full speed is, but it's surely several orders of magnitude faster. It's amazing the whole thing didn't come apart.

But is the article saying/implying the engine covers would NOT have come off if they had been replaced? These articles have too much "only the facts" and not enough context. Then again, the vast majority of news reporters/journalists don't know enough to offer such context. We need Miles Obrien, even though CNN didn't think he was worthy of being employed there.
The inspections affect older 777s fitted with Pratt & Whitney engines. Newer models, mainly powered by rival General Electric, are not affected.
So why is this, do General Electric engines never lose fan blades??? Or (being even more absurd here) never vibrate wildly when they do?

Poking around I found this alarming article:
United 777 plane flew fewer than half the flights allowed between checks: sources
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A United Airlines plane with a Pratt & Whitney engine that failed on Saturday had flown fewer than half the flights allowed by U.S. regulators between fan blade inspections, two sources with knowledge of the matter said.
So here's A Real Serious Problem. Was this particular engine especially and/or uniquely defective, or is there way too much time between inspections? I know, probably no one knows at this point, it's just a rhetorical question ...

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Wrong questions
There were three incidents so far, same route cause.
United Airlines B777-222 N773UA, Flight UA1175, 13 February 2018
Japan Airlines B777-289 JA8978 Flight JL904, 4 December 2020
United Airlines B777-222 N772UA Flight UA328. 20 February 2021

https://data.ntsb.gov/carol-repgen/api/Aviation/ReportMain/GenerateNewestReport/96738/pdf
https://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgad.nsf/0/e4c5740884adbc78862586860008e6e8/$FILE/2021-05-51_Emergency.pdf

George

Joined 2009
Paid Member
^ I agree with both of you, that said in case of AF447 the bad choices made by crew was made because of conflicting information from sensors. I think they changed protocol at airbus since ( in case of failure from 'pitots probes' anyway.

In most cases of crash it is a conjunction of bad luck, gear faillure and human mistakes from my understanding.
Even for my dad ( it didn't ended bad because he made right choice and know the place it happened though)!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.