737 Max

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok ! :D

Excellent summary, now I understand, thank you!

I suppose that a Jumbo 747 is not in the first category, no pilot would have the manual force to operate a command from the cockpit to the tail´s flaps.

So the huge 747 has to be the last option, according to my understanding ...........

A new question that arises to me, was the 747 the largest passenger transport plane ever built?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Some good things, the fan blade did not come thru the passenger cabin. That has happened, with lethal results. The flight wasn't 1200 miles west of California between San Diego and Honolulu. I suppose it could have made land on one engine, but that would have been a horrible ~3 hours.

Attachments

• Boeing-747-vs-Airbus-A380-aranjare.png
    Boeing-747-vs-Airbus-A380-aranjare.png
    18.3 KB · Views: 140
  • Boeing-747-vs-Airbus-A380-dimensiuni.gif
    Boeing-747-vs-Airbus-A380-dimensiuni.gif
    18.6 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
The fan blade did not come through the cabin.

The engine did shed a blade or two, that caused a massive imbalance in the fan which proceeded to shake the cowling off the engine. A portion of that debris went over the wing and impacted the window, breaking it out. The passenger was partly sucked out of the window and into the airflow, with fatal results.

if its a boeing and has a 7 in its number ? then rebook..

They are designed to fly perfectly well on one engine. Books and books full of certification rules and regulations are there so what occurred yesterday is exactly what happens - the aircraft returns safely at an airport and there are no injuries.

The aircraft returns safely \NOT ALWAYS Wishfull thinking ?

I am sure their is a list out there of those that do not...
? but I just booked another flight today. . Certification ? written by the manufacturer ?
Well if the pilot is happy then who am I to worry.

I seem to remember that when a windscreen is replaced the new one must be fixed with ever so slightly oversized bolts and they used the standard size.

I could be wrong on this though...

I always had the feeling that aircraft maintenance workers are considered by companies just another auto mechanic. They should be thoroughly controlled and well paid according to their tremendous responsibilities.
It's not the same as faulty welding the Senna F1's steering column, which was unfortunate too, but there are many more lives at stake .....

Joined 2014
Paid Member
6L6 can correct me but I saw a stat that, precovid there were about 50billion miles flown by passenger aircraft per year, or 5E10 if you prefer it that way. That's a LOT of safe takes offs and landings like clockwork. Most of us can't even get our heads around how controlled and regulated things are to keep things going safely. No system is infallable and so tragedies happen, but two people have died on the road outside my house in the last 4 years. So it's more dangerous for me to exit my drive than fly somewhere.

Other aviation disasters -- yesterday my son took his wife and 3 kids (one of which was the newborn) on the Cessna 421 (which is pressurized) back from Florida. The pressure in the cabin and in the newborn's tummy had a differential which resulted in the ricotta plug of fermenting milk in the esophogeal passage of the baby becoming unglued. Result was ricotta all over the cabin.

Then again the plane took of from Birmingham so they might have used what is known in the UK as a 'Birmingham Screwdriver' to fit the bolts:

That is universal!
Here (a country formed with immigrants from all over the world after the First World War) many said "pass me the Russian, Galician, Italian screwdriver, etc", according to the personal prejudices of the person who requested it .....
Recontra OT:
I witnessed when an apprentice was asked to ask for "the round square" in the tool rack, and when on one occasion there was no electricity in a very long extension cable, that "look where there should be a knot, because there the current got stuck "...........:D

Joined 2009
Paid Member
'Clef anglaise' in french. Afaik official name for it here.

I try to keep away from this thread as it is frightning to me. Not that i use airplanes often but...
That said not worst this tv program listing the crash and forensic them.
My dad practice ultra light plane and once had a serious crash in France ( lost the blade during take off). Happily he didn't get hurt despite the plane total destruction.
I was surprised to see him have to explain to BEA. Same thing you see with commercial airplane crash, investigations and all.
This is impressing how serious they are within this field.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.