• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6V6 line preamp

Didn't get as much done as expected yesterday (daddy duty) but here's a quick shot of the advanced test setup, spy those home made purpleheart knobs on the rotary switches and volume knob-
20221211_132152.jpg

The little SMPS power unit is handy for quick adjustments and will hold me over until I get more of a test PSU together. Its quiet enough without additional filtering.

I ordered a USB setup to do some basic testing also. Behringer UCA222. Cheap but a start.

Reactions: 2 users
Nice man!

And here's the best part! That DC-DC boost is the noisiest piece of crap I've ever used. So if you got it "quiet" enough, imagine if you used this! And it's isolated, too! I use it to generate the negative bias voltage in all of my amps. And to make the power for my preamp (using the 200VAC output and a Delon into my Simple TL783 Regulator).
1670863335524.png

Here is a shot of the PSU I use for the preamp (This pic doesn't show the wiring finished yet though).
The outputs to the preamp through three cables are 12V for heaters, 340V for line/HP amp, 340V for phono, 280V for buffers, 12AU7/6E2 level meter, and gain for EQ loop, and finally 5V for the analog to TOSLink output.
1670863709150.png

Here's the preamp it powers. Again the wiring isn't finished in this shot.

1670864431080.png

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Hi Salas,

Back in post #3723 you mentioned about how to use a bit of NFB. Would your formula of resistors work if instead a 100K input pot I had this input transformer installed? I've since swapped a few things around, and am using a balanced dac, hence the input transformer.
https://cinemag.biz/line_input/PDF/CMLI-15-15B.pdf
I have a 12K resistor across the secondary.
I'm unclear on how the input transformer affects all the calculations.

I have the 100K pot now on the output of the preamp FYI, but I don't think that matters.

Thanks!

"
I wonder, would 7.5dB gain be enough for you? In other words two and a half times lower than you now got. That change can be implemented with a negative feedback network. Add 120K in series between the input (after the pot) and the 1K grid stopper. From their node connect a 560K resistor to the stage's output (after the output capacitor). Microphony will go down, noise will go down, THD will go down. Easy to do, evaluate and decide.
Don't use a higher than 50K volume pot with this arrangement. Matter of the pot's output impedance interfacing. Otherwise let me know to give you alternative values if you use a 100K pot or in case you want a different gain.
"

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Here's an example of 10dB gain (3.2X) and 6dB NFB I recently modified. Enough for a phono source.
Not excessive with normal sensitivity amps on other sources. Tests nicely on FFT and sounds terrific.

Attachments

• 6V6 Salas G3X THD 6Π6C.png
    6V6 Salas G3X THD 6Π6C.png
    13.4 KB · Views: 431
  • 6V6 Salas G3X Multitone VT107A.png
    6V6 Salas G3X Multitone VT107A.png
    38.4 KB · Views: 733
  • 6V6 Salas G3X schematic.jpg
    6V6 Salas G3X schematic.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 905
  • 6V6 Salas G3X closer.jpg
    6V6 Salas G3X closer.jpg
    512.9 KB · Views: 751
Reactions: 1 user
Thanks Salas. I’m interested in experimenting with NFB these days. I’m also building a DHT preamp at the moment.
When you bring it up though, some people are very much opposed. Not sure why it’s so polarizing lol
Will try and listen for myself.

Also, I know if the open loop gain was infinite, the gain becomes Rf/Ri, correct? but since open loop here is not infinite, what’s the math to calculate the actual final gain? I read valve wizards pretty thorough evaluation but it’s a bit complicated description. Will have to read a few more times. Do you have a short cut thumbnail napkin sketch ballpark calculation method?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
...And if the output impedance was zero. There's no good shortcut calculation I am afraid. Hands on would be use 1Meg rheostat as variable Rf and measure the gain results in a specific circuit.
I see. Ok that’s an answer too. Thanks!

Well at this point I am pretty much hands on which is a good way to learn. I’ll try to lean longhand too with some more reading. Then maybe spice down the road as things progress.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Will work very near to the original. Expect about 23mA Ia, 145V across the tube, and 12.6dB gain (15.5dB when R5 is bypassed with a cathode cap). Cin 0.22u is not needed. R13 will dissipate 3W, thus >5W nominal part is suggested. Use 10W so it runs cooler and lives longer.

Thank you for your analysis, Salas. I use this to drive a MOSFET source follower SE amp. This in turn is driven by a 6SN7 CCDA stage.
You're right, though. CIn isn't necessary, but also as you know Cin protects the tube from the previous stage if it's output cap is bad or large enough to drive a 1k load, and keeps some LF nasties out.
I leave it out of my line amps, but use a 2nd order input filter in my power amps (100k -> 33nF -> 1M -> 22nF -> 510k)