• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6V6 line preamp

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
My memory is weak but I think I asked before. What current are we currently talking about? And whats the spec on the choke? Per Lundahl can easily give you the spec for the task. Expressed in tesla for everyones convenience;)

Post #1440 has a photo, says 25mA on the chokes. He must be running about 21mA and I already asked him to lower b+ for cutting on current also, he did, and said no change on the damn wiggle.
press_release_distribution_0097728_11237.jpg

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I would tap around on everything first. Distortion is normally too low on this even with a resistor anode load. Then if it was hum he would have heard it with 20dB line gain and 26dB power amp on 102dB speakers. If it was too much THD it could sound weird VS his #26. To surely tell for THD from here it takes we see FFT.

Thats what i would have thought, but if i remember correctly, he said the perforation helped beyong heat. You could ,ount it on a sub plate, seperated from main chassis by sorbethane grommets, like i did. Or just mount socket that way. Dont know if temperature of socket is bad for sorbethane.