6FE200 + ST200

Joined 2008
Paid Member
I'd be happpy to explain.... IF

And... you would win the bet :)

I actually prefer it to my horn loaded 8inch cone !

The pair working together, even though BSC'd , are extremely efficient, but
the bonus is, they can handle loads of power without dynamic compression.

A true diamond in the ruff. I can't thank you enough, sir.

p.s. I also bought the ST-200, to be tried at a later date.

Perhaps i'm too curious but there is no details about the loudspeaker backloading impedance (cabinets)
Why ?

Nothing about the front loading... (room)
Why ?

Are you too shy ?
:shutup:

Sir, I am not really sure what you are asking about (?) The pair per side of 6fe200 are in a sealed box, with 5/6 of a partition between the drivers. Damping materials on both the inside and outside of the walls, along with acoustic absorbent in the internal space.

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Did you have a chance to compare the st200 to the ribbon tweeter?
Your crossover?

Greetings !

The ST-200 tweeter was never intended to be considered as a replacement for the ribbon currently installed in the system. The ribbons are the Stage Accompany SA-8535 and have been in use for 17 years without even the slightest temptation to replace them. The purchase of the ST-200 was just out of curiosity to see what a cost effective device might could do. Still, to this day, however, I have not had occasion to install them in a prototype speaker project for evaluation.

The answer to your question about a crossover is the attached picture.

Attachments

• Pioneer Crossover.jpg
    Pioneer Crossover.jpg
    896.2 KB · Views: 632
crossover points? slopes? :)

since you have the e-crossover and the seleniums, you could do us a favor and find out the best CO point/type between them (no need for a new cabinet; the bullet can sit on top of mid box)

i really like the 6" faital, but can't decide on the tweeter; bullet, amt, ribbon, dome+waveguide, CD without horn (like Zu Druid 5) ????

I think the point with the Faitals is that they naturally roll off at about 5khz, simplifying the crossover. If you are set on them, i would order a pair with the Selenium ST200's as they are cheap, try the crossover suggestions suggested in here and go from there

Joined 2008
Paid Member
crossover points? slopes? :)

since you have the e-crossover and the seleniums, you could do us a favor and find out the best CO point/type between them (no need for a new cabinet; the bullet can sit on top of mid box)

i really like the 6" faital, but can't decide on the tweeter; bullet, amt, ribbon, dome+waveguide, CD without horn (like Zu Druid 5) ????

I prefer 18db/oct slopes. I was using a 4k Hz crossover at the time I was using the 6fe200's.

The choice of tweeter type is a personal one, and also based on what you are trying to accomplish. For higher efficiency applications, I really like the tweeter linked below. Please note, this is not an ultra high efficiency unit, such as the previously discussed ST-200. Oh wait, let me answer your question about that unit, as well. If you study the harmonic distortion charts, you will see this tweeter really does not become clear and free of distortion until above 3.5 K. I know the recommenced x-over is 2 K, but, personally I would stay away from anything that low, with this bullet.

Okay, now see below for a ribbon that I really like :

Fountek NeoCD3.5H Horn Loaded Ribbon Tweeter

That is an excellent concept !
One of these days, I am going to work with this driver:
Dayton Audio PS180-8 6-1/2" Point Source Full-Range Neo Driver

I've replaced my ribbon and dome tweeters with a 3' like the loudspeaker driver you've mentioned (and without wizzler and a bigger phase plug) in a deep waveguide for a Xover around 2,5-3kHz
The mms is under midrange domes and slighly higher than 1' domes and the Sd is supperior to a midrange dome.
These little loudspeaker driver radiates over 20kHz from the both chanels the listening position, (both channels radiations are covering the whole listenig zone aera) the naturalness an the detail retrieval is amazing.
You can also equalize them a lot, they are never sibilant or agressive.

Here's my take on Adason's design. About the same volume as Adason's in a sealed sub-enclosure in a vented enclosure. Paired with my favorite 10" woofer - Eminence BP102.

The 6FE200 is an excellent sounding midrange.The ST200 adds a nice amount of sparkle, even though the sensitivity is much higher than the Faital. I've played around with the attenuation of the tweeter and do like it better toned down a bit. I have an L-pad on the ST200. Measurements attached.

Attachments

• P1090484.JPG
    P1090484.JPG
    408.2 KB · Views: 682
  • ST200_6FE200_2uf_cap_no_att_10dB_att.png
    ST200_6FE200_2uf_cap_no_att_10dB_att.png
    22.8 KB · Views: 678
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Scott why did you give up on the 6fe200?
What are you using for mids these days?
How do they compare?
Thanks

So sorry that I missed this notification from several months ago. I really have not given up on the 6fe200 set up, it's just been reassigned to my "B" system. In the big room, I went back to the Tang Band loaded into huge round horns. After a road trip to hear some Western Electric 16a horns, I decided I wanted horn loaded mid range after all. Gives me more "body" and "tone" to the music.

Still to this day, however, this [pictured] approach to a wide band/mid-range is pretty hard to beat, and especially hard to beat for the cost. Again, I must clarify this is a 1.5 set up; the lower driver is rolled off below to where it offers compensation for the baffle step, and also serves well, as only one driver reproduces the mids/upper mids, which is much better for imaging. I have been experimenting with a ribbon also (just like Adason).

Attachments

• 6fe200-1.jpg
    6fe200-1.jpg
    320.7 KB · Views: 629
Last edited: