5th Annual Vancouver Island diyFEST 2008

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
planes, plans, plans....

For those that did not attend the 'fest, Dave et al had some incredibly wonderful speakers there.

A bit of a list (sorry if I forget to mention some , I'll add as you suggest):
  • Ian MacNeil and his 3 ways with DSP correction (I didn't spend any time with these, sorry Ian)
  • Silver Iris based Open Baffles
  • Harvey Horns, via old Aengus :)
  • TerryO's 2 way design (Exodus Audio--Kevin?)
  • all varieties of Fonkens and Onkens...including the "FatFonkens" quite an impressive FE167 based (?) floorstader, original Fonkens, and a couple of other floor standers with integrated SD7 woofers and/or seperate woofers
  • Richard's Jordan JX92S based Transmission lines
  • speakerdork's (Cal Weldon) "mini system"--Altec boxes stuffed with Selenium drivers--horns, horns, horns. could be heard through the trees the 1/4 mile or so to the road--truly "bigger IS better" and without the bass bins!
  • and perhaps too many others to list

All I can say is that none failed to impress within their prospective use and partnered equipment types.

As far as equipment in attendance, I'll have to leave that to somebody else to list, other than Ian Grant's "Rita" and the give away A88 amp (that Aengus won. How you enjoying it Aengus?), and Dave's "monster " pre-amp, and several others including some from JesseG (Citation 12 from scratch with modern components), his reboxed cd player and also his preamp--remote control, beautifully housed and beautifully finished as always.

Did I fail to mention that all of the above folks SUCK ? The quality of the builds and sound were very impressive and not what I might consider "garage built" by any means. Kudos to all that can make things sound beautiful, and look the same. I know I can't.

stew

calling TerryO, planet10, Demetri, panomaniac (I think) and vinylkid (JeffW),

guys.

just trying to put together the tonearm "kits" , just want to know what you want included.

I suggest this:
  • tube @ 15", pivot @3"
  • you supply your own internal wire (mouse wire works)
  • I can make a headshell of acrylic if you want
  • I will drill the arm tube to accept a pipe plug and install it
  • you supply a ball point pen refill (preferably all used up and with a metal body). Other things that can be used can be found inside discarded VCRs (remember those?)
  • and I need your input regarding the counter-weight attachment. Previously I had used a machine screw attached to the tube to allow for fine tracking weight adjustment, but maybe a dowel inserted into the tube, and a slot cut into the tube to allow a fine machine screw or redi-rod to be used to move the counter weight?
  • you supply an old discarded counterweight or group of nuts or whatever for VTF
  • if a slotted arm is used, then some means of adjusting the "skew" of the arm to ensure that the cartridge is held square to the surface of the record
  • I can supply complete, step by step instructions or completed arms if need be.

This is being offered to those that had shown some interest concerning my "Nanook's $2.14 tonearm" at dave's place, and is not a "general" offering at this time.

still can't post VanIsle diyAudio'fest '08 pictures , I must be stupid or something.

stew

Re: calling TerryO, planet10, Demetri, panomaniac (I think) and vinylkid (JeffW),

Nanook said:
I can make a headshell of acrylic if you want

That sounds like a lot of work. I'll have a go at making an aluminum head-shell, maybe at the same time as my DL-103 mounting plate.

Originally posted by Nanook
and I need your input regarding the counter-weight attachment. Previously I had used a machine screw attached to the tube to allow for fine tracking weight adjustment, but maybe a dowel inserted into the tube, and a slot cut into the tube to allow a fine machine screw or redi-rod to be used to move the counter weight?

Nothing earth-shattering comes to mind right now. When things settle down around here (kitchen reno), I'd like to draw an assembly in SW for you to critique.

Jeff

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: calling TerryO, planet10, Demetri, panomaniac (I think) and vinylkid (JeffW),

Nanook said:
[*]and I need your input regarding the counter-weight attachment. Previously I had used a machine screw attached to the tube to allow for fine tracking weight adjustment, but maybe a dowel inserted into the tube, and a slot cut into the tube to allow a fine machine screw or redi-rod to be used to move the counter weight?

We should have been more diligent loading you up... i could have supplied quite a few stubs + counterweights.

dave

Harvey Horns, via old Aengus

Old Aengus? Who's the young Aengus, then? But since they're in the "incredibly wonderful" list, I forgive you.

Ian Grant's "Rita" and the give away A88 amp (that Aengus won. How you enjoying it Aengus?),

Enough that I still haven't got around to A/Bing it against the KT88 PP (not the GF one) I was using previously - but I do intend to do so when time permits. It's a lovely amp (physically and sonically) and a great match for the 127s in the Harveys.

I suppose it would be churlish to wish that the Rita had been on offer; and if it had, I suppose Iain M. - who had the first winning ticket, and who like a foo..., er, like a gentlemen, left it for me - would not have resisted that temptation. Seriously, once again my thanks to Ian Grant for his very generous donation. Ian, if you'd like to come and listen to it in situ sometime, I might even be able to provide some sort of beverage - PM me if you'd like to come by.

[edit] Quotes are from Stew's post. [/edit]

Regards

Aengus

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Here is the pic of Ian gifting Aengus -- a VERY happy Aengus -- the A-34.

dave

Attachments

• aengus-w-prize.jpg
    aengus-w-prize.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 308
I am thinking. I know that scares some of you but I have an idea for next year. If I leave those little speakers I brought this year at home and bring one of the big cabinets and maybe a pair of these Sammi 12" hooked up to Dave's active EQ I'm betting I can cause the same disruption I did this year. What do ya guys think?

Cheers.

Attachments

• img_8280.jpg
    img_8280.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 213
Cal Weldon said:
I am thinking. I know that scares some of you but I have an idea for next year. If I leave those little speakers I brought this year at home and bring one of the big cabinets and maybe a pair of these Sammi 12" hooked up to Dave's active EQ I'm betting I can cause the same disruption I did this year. What do ya guys think?

Cheers.

Cal,

You're going to have to type with the caps lock on, as I still can't hear you. Seems someone ruined my hearing this Summer at a DIY meet.
:bawling:

Huh, Did you say something?

Best Regards,
TerryO

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.