5th Annual Vancouver Island diyFEST 2008

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
to all that have raised concern about the missus...

thanks very much. The missus is a RN, on a surgical floor. The patient "load" is quite heavy, but this injury was due to one of her co-workers (from the previous shift) not paying attention and allowing saline solution from an IV bag to run out onto the floor, and not noticing it. During first rounds (my wife works 11:00 PM to 7:00 am almost exclusively), she walked into the patient room for her first set of vitals. She slipped on the saline, but caught herself. By catching herself, she strained her back.

Thankfully there was no disk damage as was first thought. The MRI showed only soft tissue damage, which, given physiotherapy and a reduced physical work load should mend itself in 4-6 weeks. The hospital has provided her with a "lift buddy" (LPN) whose only responsibility is to be available to my wife for patient transfers and lifting.

TerryO, I'll get something put together shortly. mainly the tube, the pipe plug, a headshell (of sorts), etc. I think you and Jeff can come up with an old pen refill and a salvaged counter weight yourselves :) . I may just send the original along, prebuilt for you.

Either way doing one or two doesn't really make a difference in terms of materials. Oh, and something for wire, and cartridge pins .

later

stew

planet10 said:

Personally from the auditioning i've had, i prefer the DVD player related to the black CD player :)

And it plays movies to. The only thing missing is 1080p upsampling and an HDMI 1.3 output.

dave

I had to leave something behind for Rachel. We are launching the MDVD-100 as is for Home Concert™ at RMAF, sometime next year will come the Blue Ray version.

It was based on your intitial comment in Vancouver last year that this was our best sounding CDP that we still pursued this and found quite few that agreed that it makes a great CDP.

Picture quality is also excellent, Rod commented it shouldn't look that good in a 120" screen, please get it out of the store if I can't sell it yet :)

Ian

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: to all that have raised concern about the missus...

Nanook said:
Either way doing one or two doesn't really make a difference in terms of materials. Oh, and something for wire, and cartridge pins .

three... you were going to do one for me too... (and don't forget you need arms for the connies, so that is 5. I can provide Jeff with a counterweight.

dave

Ian, $2.14 tonearm :) and thanks for the plug

Dave, seems I "don't belong". Image Shack or similar here I come. I've been busy helping my sister out (soon to be divorced), so little time this past week.

Still need to get a pin out for the 534 amp for the +ve signal output (prior to the power amp stage) for each channel.

OK regarding the tonearms, you guys supply the internal wiring, pins, etc (Radioshack sells these things...) etc. If you all like I can get silver plated copper /teflon wire for tonearm wire. I'll do the tube and the bearing cup, and maybe the headshell. 12" effective length. I'm sure you can figure out a ball point pen, and counterweights. No anti-skating.

This will be the only "offering" in its present guise. Next ones will be polished and a finished project. It runs in the same league (at least) with my SME 309 magnesium, albeit it looks "garage built".

I still need to dig up a few articles for Daniel and Demetri....

hope to post those in the next day or so, or I'll email those directly.

stew

blue934 said:
wow, some of those speakers make me ill that i wasn't able to make it. it does make me feel a bit better to see that nobody seemed to have a good time. seriously, was that giveaway amp as nice as it looks in the pics?
what was the small two way in a curved box?

blue934

That might have been my speakers. They're the "Kepler" sold by Exodus Audio in kit or finished. I brought the Prototypes last year, but the crossover was messed up (Kevin and I were working on them 'til 3:00am the day of the meet). :dead:

Anyway, they're finished and actually sound quite good although, as ChrisB would note, they do have a crossover.

We didn't leave them hooked up for very long, as most people there were the single driver/ high eff. types and there were a lot of speakers to be heard. On Scott's home built First Watt amp they sounded pretty good, although I think that my Super Ultra-Fi speaker cables (Utilitech 16 awg extension cords from Lowe's) made all the difference;)

Best Regards,
TerrYO

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.