5th Annual Vancouver Island diyFEST 2008

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
chrisb said:

Dave has them - if you haven't already done so, you might want to try rolling some different types in the player - I wouldn't be surprised if some old JAN or computer pull-outs sounded as good as the Chinese..

The GF MCD-100 (black one) comes stock with GE 12AT7's, I rolled in the Shuguangs, which sounded better to my and many ears, although at that time the unit didn't have as many hours on it. Also the reviewer who's hands it was in 2 weeks ago thought it was the 'in the best range' he had heard at under $2k, with the Shuguangs installed and he's an AudioNote fanatic. Pricing is finalized on the MCD-100, $1490. It will be supplied with the Shuguang tubes.

Still think the CD-327A is our most bang for the buck CD player we have with it's defeatable upsampling, comes with Shuguangs 12AX7's.

Side note on Shuguang, they went private a few years ago and the audio guys are running the show instead of the bean counters, quality and sound is now at par with anything out there and should be included in your tube spice rack. We get them direct from the factory and as an option, can provide them cryo'd by Morray.

Ian

Narada Sampler

Glad to hear that Daniel found it. I recall suggesting you listen to it.
I am currently planning a short trip down in the near future so hang on to it for now. I will set up the trip with Dave.

I hope you enjoy it. It is a well recorded disc with some lovely songs.

jrebman said:
Ian,

I'll look you up at RMAF -- just 40 minutes down the road from me, and my wife and I will be there all weekend.

-- Jim

Look forward to seeing you and your wife there Jim, Rachel will be there too. We should be running our Home Concert™ Systems most of the weekend and will have some cool contests and giveaways. I'll be posting the concert schedule soon.

Ian

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
igrant said:
Still think the CD-327A is our most bang for the buck CD player we have with it's defeatable upsampling, comes with Shuguangs 12AX7's.

Personally from the auditioning i've had, i prefer the DVD player related to the black CD player :)

And it plays movies to. The only thing missing is 1080p upsampling and an HDMI 1.3 output.

dave

Re: thanks all...

Nanook said:
finally made it home this am (Tuesday). drove all night. Ian and Murray still had a few hours to go when they dropped me off.

Thanks to Ruth and Dave for hosting the event. More to follow as the cobwebs get shook. I'll have to send along a few photos to Ruth to post in the same album.

I did come back to an injured wife, so off to Calgary tomorrow morning for an MRI, so I'll no be spending to much time on the forum for a few days.

stew

Stew,
I just saw that your wife was injured. Is she doing better? I hope everything is going well and she's on the road to a rapid recovery.

As for the bits and pieces we talked about. I'm not on any timeline, so let everything get back to normal at home before giving it another thought.

Best Regards for you and yours,
TerryO

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.