50w Single-Ended BAF2015 Schade Enabled

Joined 2012
Paid Member
Bleed resistor value? It depends on how much current you want to bleed during amplifier operation and how long of a wait to discharge your power supply with no load connected.

Use Ohm's Law to calculate. For instance if you want to bleed 20mA, R=60v/.020A = 3000 Ohms, and P=60V x 0.020A = 1.2W. Choose either 3W or 5W. 5W will run cooler.

As for time to discharge if no load is connected to the power supply, there are online calculators. Here is one:

Blocked

For 47,000uF, 60V, and 3k bleeder resistor, time to discharge is nearly 10 minutes.

"blocked" url is an online DigiKey calculator.

Last edited:
Joined 2002
Paid Member
The next obstacle for me is...............

My TL431 bias circuit worked well unloaded and or with a 10K resistor as a load. I can vary output voltage and all is fine. When I hook it up to my mosfet circuit it lets out the magic smoke on startup. This is odd because when I use a lab supply for the bias supply all is well.

attachment.php

Regards,
Dan

Attachments

• BiasSchematic.jpg
    BiasSchematic.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 375
Joined 2003
Paid Member
is the bias circuit going up in smoke or the amp? It wouldnt make much sense if the bias circuit tested fine unloaded, unless theres a short somewhere. Verify the lowest voltage possible from the bias supply before applying power to the amplifier.

Last edited:
Joined 2002
Paid Member
you can try using string of leds, they have nice negative TempCo, maybe handy for puck gate

say that 3 greens and one 1N14148 in series will cover puck Ugs needs

if you need help for calculating values, just buzz

Thanks to your help I’ve made great progress so far. Using a lab supply for the bias of the one mosfet things fire up perfectly. However I did learn that Vgs is super sensitive right down to the mv. But once you got it, you got it! If I can remember correctly Vgs for the bottom puck is around 4.12v. A bit lower than I planned for the 5-8V TL431.

Your LED idea intrigues me. I really enjoy trying new things and experimenting.

More tomorrow? :)

Regards,
Dan