• dt baf gnd.png
    dt baf gnd.png
    510.7 KB · Views: 265
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Last edited:
Joined 2000
Paid Member
Had some time to troubleshoot today, more time tomorrow.

Unloaded voltage is 42v. Loaded is 38v.
Gain mosfet drain is at 38v. When bias voltage is set to 4.7v, the drain operating voltage goes to 0v. Can get the operating voltage close to 18v to 20v by setting bias voltage to 3.89v, but then the drain voltage is unstable, varying rapidly by 2 or 3 volts. Both channels behave the same.

Adjusting the suggested 10k trimmer in series with the 10k fixed resistor near the optical isolator provides no change, and I don't know what to look for when its adjustment is needed.

Resistors on the current source are .3 ohms.
All mosets are Fairchild irfp140s.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
output node voltage (approx. 1/2 of rail) is what is important , exact value of bias voltage is irrelevant , part dependent

regarding output node instability ( CCS pumping) , Pa somewhere advised connecting power rresistor in parallel with CCS - practically from rail to output node , thus taking some current from CCS in passive way

sorry , I didn't remember where he wrote that , nor I remembered more important thing - which amount of current he advised to take through resistor

try to find that post

for starters , try with 10% of Iq through resistor .......... in your case that would be around 200mA, right ?

so , 19/0.2 = say 100R , dissipation is 3.6W , so be sure to have 10W of resistors there ........ 3 pcs of 33R/3W in series will do the job

Joined 2000
Paid Member
Thank ZM. Are you referring to this?

The DC Drain voltage of the circuit's gain transistor is temperature
dependent, but it generally should be fairly stable if the heat sinking is
adequate - If it's not stable enough you can put a 5 or 10 watt 220 ohm
resistor from Drain to Source to stabilize it better. I don't think you need
the complexity of a servo.

He said this could also be done on the CCS mosfet.

Joined 2000
Paid Member
Tried 100 Ohm and 220 Ohm 10w on current source and signal mosfets, but still have motor boating. The voltage on signal drain mosfet spikes up to 40+ volts with a speaker load.

Amp has a 9K on input and on power supply 44,000uF per channel.
Transformer is 30v 8A per winding. Also tried a transformer per channel with secondaries in parallel.

Maybe it needs more capacitance to make the power supply (PS) stiffer? PS is CRC with four .47 Ohm 3w resistors in parallel.

Nothing had blown up yet, so unless someone has any ideas how to mitigate the oscillating, I'm going to put this project away for a while. I have 4 other amps cooking right now. :)

Thanks as always for your help,

Vince

...any ideas how to mitigate the oscillating...

Disconnect the 220R 3W feedback resistor and ground the transformer input, does it still oscillate?

If not, check the transformers primary and secondary winding polarity.

If yes, disconnect the Drain of the lower puck, replace the 'extra' bleed resistor with one that can pass the 3.5A without burning up, and look for oscillation across the resistor.