• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

4P1L DHT Line Stage

Gate stoppers are missing on the lower FETs. Can you measure your HT supply and check ripple level?

Your custom PCB have some long paths, you may need to add cap decoupling on HT close to the mu-follower circuit (100nF to 1uF film will work)

If you can take some basic AC measurements at the filaments and anode will help.
You are not describing the filament bias arrangement nor the grounding scheme, big points to look into

PS. Don’t use my diagrams and hack them please.

Ale

Hi Mogliaa, thanks for your intervention. I answer you questions. the connections are quite short as the cards are side by side and there are 2.2 mf capacities on the gyrator cards close to the A.T. With the trimmer I can adjust the voltage shown on pin 2 of the 4pl1 from 71 volts to 56 volts. On the 10 hom R 5 I cannot read any voltage and not even any absorption of a few mill'amps
the direct voltage measured between pin 2 of the valve (output R5) and ground is 70.5 volts
while foot 2 and fil. 1-7 = 61.5 volts
foot 2 and fil. 8 = 59.3 volts
it seems that with the calculations we also find ourselves as I said at the beginning of the post the pre works but in an anomalous way with voltage of 70 instead of 153 volts on pin 2
I can say that from various tests if I want more voltage between pin 2 I should modify the 10 Mhom R6 in fact if I measure the current at the contact before the 10 mhon I have 215 volts while after 71 volts maybe if I bring it to 1mhom he managed to have the correct current by also tweaking the trimmer
Now I wonder why the R6 must have such a high value?
If I get the right currents with 2 or 1 mhom what do I compromise?

Lowering the r6 to 1mhon I get just 75 vlt in my opinion the problem lies in the M3 group and the fet J1 as M3 I used the Dn2540 while the fet I used first 2 fet in parallel 2sk170 and then with the BS170 which reaches 300 m. Amper
It may be that M3 and J1 do not release the other half of the current as released by the lnd150
can my speech be worth?

HELLO TO ALL I WANT TO ADDRESS ANOTHER TOPIC ABOUT THE PRE with the use of pentodes and gyrators.
I have read all the posts; from 2011 to now 10 years of forum about LINE STAGE 4PL1 and I noticed that it was never talked about whether it was better to use a power supply with tube rectification or solid state with diode bridge
The expert builders will certainly be able to tell me if it is preferable to use tube or silicon in listening
it will be a matter of personal opinion or the straightening with the use of the tubes from a different sound, has no influence on the final sound. I would like an opinion from a manufacturer because he might prefer the tube instead of the silicon diode or vice versa
thank you for your opinions

I have a questions about Lundahl 1689 trafo

i use this trafo as output on my 4P1l Pre ,,i use it 18:2 (Alt.Q ) very happy with sound

But i need sometime a little more gain,,, 18:4 (Alt.P) will give that

the questions is then,,,what is the theoretically best way,for sound,

use the 18:4 or the 18:2 ?? and maybe explain why

my 4P1L is totally noise free and sound super with the 18:2

Best bjarne

My 4p1l Linestage

About to finnish my take on the 4p1l
Psu is in separate chassis
Monolith finemet transformers arrive in a week or two

Attachments

• 34D1F077-4366-4CBB-B981-2D9734A27468.jpg
    34D1F077-4366-4CBB-B981-2D9734A27468.jpg
    654 KB · Views: 369
  • 11CC8301-6972-44B2-9330-8D221DB94607.jpg
    11CC8301-6972-44B2-9330-8D221DB94607.jpg
    577.3 KB · Views: 382
I have a questions about Lundahl 1689 trafo

i use this trafo as output on my 4P1l Pre ,,i use it 18:2 (Alt.Q ) very happy with sound

But i need sometime a little more gain,,, 18:4 (Alt.P) will give that

the questions is then,,,what is the theoretically best way,for sound,

use the 18:4 or the 18:2 ?? and maybe explain why

my 4P1L is totally noise free and sound super with the 18:2

Best bjarne

I have 1689 in my 12B4A PP line stage. I tried it as 18:2 and then tried 18:4 and liked it. It isn't the first time I've preferred a transformer with configurable windings all in series vs some in series, some in parallel. It might not be a reliable conclusion about winding configurations but it's the best I got for now.