• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

4P1L DHT Line Stage

Here's the PSU I'm using. I have a few others which vary. I often use Thurlby Thandar bench power supplies 30v 2A for the filaments - I bought a bunch of used ones. Really clean supply.

Attachments

• 4P1L PSE PSU.png
    4P1L PSE PSU.png
    65.4 KB · Views: 814
Hi Hylle..

Beardman and I have had quite a conversation, due to the fact that we both
are living in Denmark, more exactly Jylland.

Where are you located in Denmark ??

If your will do the ver 3 of Ales schematic, Beardman is the guy for that, he had tried
virtual any thing worth writing off.

I'm on the ver 1, just to have some DC protection, due to my Cap free DAC and Cap free power amp 2a3DC loftin white.

I have started a thread about 4P1L on hifi4all.dk, but mostly it's beardman and I talking.

/Michael

Thanks for sharing this. I also bought a few pairs from this nice gentleman.
Besides warmer sound, anything else you noticed on those of more vintage version? Thanks! :)

I have tried a pair Svetlana 1963 (more microphonic , very warm) , Svetlana 1965 (great tube as beardman mention) , but now just playing on the standard 1986 4P1L.

The last one has the lowest microphonic level of them all (4 different set tested).

It's absolutely not night and day, on ver 1 "little siberian" I can easily adjust
how much warm I prefer, by adjusting the grid leak resistor (47K to 100K).

Again can't tell what the difference is on ver 3 with transformer coupling.

/Michael

I have tried a pair Svetlana 1963 (more microphonic , very warm) , Svetlana 1965 (great tube as beardman mention) , but now just playing on the standard 1986 4P1L.

The last one has the lowest microphonic level of them all (4 different set tested).

It's absolutely not night and day, on ver 1 "little siberian" I can easily adjust
how much warm I prefer, by adjusting the grid leak resistor (47K to 100K).

Again can't tell what the difference is on ver 3 with transformer coupling.

/Michael

Nice to know and thanks Michael!

Hello

CFT...

Michael have right about the microphonic in the older tube

and the sound is warmer a little more full bodied in the lower middle-tone..gives me a bit more wide sound
I will let the 1965 tube play some more hours .and see what it gives when it is burned in

those older and newer tubes is only a matter of taste,,just now the older tube fits better to my hifi- (and wife)

Best Bjarne

Hello

CFT...

Michael have right about the microphonic in the older tube

and the sound is warmer a little more full bodied in the lower middle-tone..gives me a bit more wide sound
I will let the 1965 tube play some more hours .and see what it gives when it is burned in

those older and newer tubes is only a matter of taste,,just now the older tube fits better to my hifi- (and wife)

Best Bjarne

Thanks Bjarne. I ordered two pairs vintage and two pairs standard. Had no idea how they differ as the preamp is not built yet. Yes, look forward to hearing more of your impression on the older tubes. :)

Cheung