3D printed 3-way Unity waveguide home audio speaker

Hey, if you're ever coming near Portland, drop me a PM. Be glad to play them. Actually, after finally getting these done, only a few people have heard them so far for any significant amount of time -- they're going to a Portland Audio Club meetup in January for a 'Bring your own music" event, so will see how they go over there.

Seeing as I'm back in Portland, I'll ping you for information about this (could be fun!) and that'd kick me into higher gear to finish my project(s).

If you would like a hand lugging those up and down your stairs, let me know. I'd enjoy the opportunity to gawk at them :)

x2, I may have few real-life skills, but moving large, awkwardly shaped objects is in my wheelhouse.

I yet have to get the son-in-law to help me bring home 10 sheets of ply, after I clear a place I can keep them flat down and dry till I get to them.

sketch.png

Hi castorG

The plan for the Behemoth Horn is to use two Eminence DeltaLite 2512 per box. To make good use of the large volume that will be inside, and to keep weight down so they won't be too difficult to carry up steps (2 person, though).

The project is on hold till this spring, though. Too cold out in the (unheated) garage and it would be too much of a fire hazard if I tried to heat it, since it's too small to put in a space heater and still keep it away from burnable things.

Actually, the main reason for two mids was that the horn is printed in two halves and each mid mount is split over the two halves. It would've been messy-er to make separate designs and prints for each side. I was thinking of just plugging one wall's mid ports with epoxy goo, but just used the two mid drivers instead (easier, generates less questions). The HF might've been better if I'd done that, but seems pretty good as is, so if it ain't broken.....

Bill, wouldn't overall sensitivity be 2-3dB lower with 1, instead of 2 Celestions TF0410MR?

Moreover, you've exchanged the small Celestion for the Peerless, but I guess the Celestion CDX1-1747 could be used as well?
This is driver is used in Paul Spencer's PSE-144 and according to Earl K's measurements it's comparable with the Peerless, even though the top end looks a bit ragged.

Attachments

• Horn-Study_152i-Clone_Peerless_red_Celestion_CDX1-1747_brown_ (1).png
    Horn-Study_152i-Clone_Peerless_red_Celestion_CDX1-1747_brown_ (1).png
    139.5 KB · Views: 1,005
Last edited:
I was mistaken, obviously you swapped the Peerless for the DNA-360.

Both the DNA-360 and the Peerless are hard to obtain here in Europe, therefore the CDX1-1747 (which is the bigger brother of the 1745) appears to be a nice substitute.

For what it's worth, here's the response of the CDX1-1747 with Celestions own H1 9040P exponential horn:

Attachments

• CDX1-1747 on 90x40 Expo Horn_Sharpened.jpg
    CDX1-1747 on 90x40 Expo Horn_Sharpened.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 977
Last edited:
Ro808 --
The DNA360 is an almost exact clone of the B&C DE250, they are essentially interchangeable.

With two midranges actually gets 6dB more sensitivity than one, but becomes nominally 4 ohms instead of 8 ohms. But it doesn't mean too much, one is still sensitive enough. The midrange isn't the limiting factor on overall sensitivity. Just changes the crossover components some.

Ro808 --
The DNA360 is an almost exact clone of the B&C DE250, they are essentially interchangeable.
I am aware of the DNA-360, its qualities and its origin. I remember posting in the "Hey guys..." thread, at the time Erich was sourcing components before he started DIYSG.

Unfortunately, a B&C DE-250 manufactured between (roughly) 2015-2018 is not identical to a DE-250 from 2010. For this reason Earl Geddes switched to the B&C DE-500.
Anyway, I could always order a pair of DNA-360s (and bear the pain from the shipping costs ;-)

As for using 1 versus 2 mids, I have absolute faith in your experience and opinion.
I have read the "Suitable midrange cone, for bandpass mid in Unity horn" thread and from what I remember the mids are seldom the limiting factor, unless you combine a larger (≥ 1.4") compression driver with small, low-sensitivity mids. Sensitivity of a Unity/Synergy horn is largely defined by its shape (shallow vs. wide and short vs. long).

I hope you had a nice day at the local audio club meeting and I have no doubt your speakers were (by far) "Best of show".
Still, it would be nice to read some comments though:D

Last edited:
I hope you had a nice day at the local audio club meeting and I have no doubt your speakers were (by far) "Best of show".
Still, it would be nice to read some comments though:D

Thanks! But the demo won't be till the 21st. They'll be the "Only of show" that date, though, as it's a Bring Your Favorite Music meeting, I'm just bringing them to be the system to play on. (My listening area isn't adequate for groups of listeners).

Ah, sorry, I misunderstood. Yeah, some diffusers might help in there. Do you have some foam ones made already? I have some ~6ft tall wooden ones made, but they wouldn't be too fun to carry up from the basement.

There are barrels sitting around in the meeting room and nicknacks sitting on a shelf that help some. There are big windows though, and some large expanses of paneling (though mostly pretty high up, would be hard to get something in front of). A surprisingly good room for what it is, though. And the hard walls help to give speakers with directivity an advantage over ones that don't have any. :)

edit: Hi Fred -- just figured out who you were, not too quick sometimes. So you've been in the room.

Last edited: