$325 Lab 12 based PA tapped horn ~ 35Hz extension

just put a new 3/4" ring on top of the hole a bit wider than the woofer, glued them all up really well. Caulked inside, and also went out of my way and poured some OOPS paint from home depot inside the cab and sloshes it around to fill any gaps in the panels. (I am always paranoid no matter how thorough of a job I do).

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Notice how its dark brown inside, poured a good amount of paint to seal any leaks inside.

My cheap circle jig to make the new circles lol

Transport ready!

qoyf.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
Wow, amazing looking sub! It seems the perfect contender for me.

Can anyone tell me how well the Ciare 12.00SW will perform in this 'thing'? I know that the 12.00SW and Lab 12 seem to perform pretty similar in most designs...?
If the Ciare does not perform well, is there someone that would want to alter the design for me, at an suitable payment?

I am really excited to get started building a sub. It will be pre-cut by a CNC machine and finished before the end of the month (first, I'm going on vacation) if everything goes well.

Thanks in advance,

Teun

thats a tall setup!!!

how is it for stability?
i wonder if putting ply down would help that and maybe output of the pal12?

Sweet looking tho!

Some barn doors may help. But I'd prefer to just build two more for it.

They are fine, unless someone goes up to them and pushes on them, then they'd probably fall over. With two subs for a base (30" wide) there would be no problems at all.

Could someone please confirm this will work (or not)?
I am going on holiday tomorrow, and I can possibly place an order this evening, so that I can start building right after I come home again :)

Thanks in advance!

Wow, amazing looking sub! It seems the perfect contender for me.

Can anyone tell me how well the Ciare 12.00SW will perform in this 'thing'? I know that the 12.00SW and Lab 12 seem to perform pretty similar in most designs...?
If the Ciare does not perform well, is there someone that would want to alter the design for me, at an suitable payment?

I am really excited to get started building a sub. It will be pre-cut by a CNC machine and finished before the end of the month (first, I'm going on vacation) if everything goes well.

Thanks in advance,

Teun

Thanks for your replies!
So I've been trying things... does this make sense?
Assuming the response charts you posted are using the Ciare 12.0SW in the PA (l12), looks like it should work OK.

The 50-80 Hz "saddle dip" is less than the Lab 12, but the out of band upper peaks are worse.

Out of band parametric EQ cuts in the 160- 200 Hz range will probably be needed, but that goes with the territory.

Attachments

• Ciare? Lab 12.png
    Ciare? Lab 12.png
    214.1 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:
PAL12+edit5.jpg

This design is sent to my cnc cutter.
As you can see, I left out the recess for the wheels. This is a conscious choice because I do not intend to move it regularly. I am considering to use the (now-) free space for some sort of handle(-s), but I doubt it will be much of an improvement in comparison with grabbing it in the port and at an corner.
Any suggestions for this are more then welcome.

Teun

^ compromises need to be made sometimes. One of those that I made was to take up possible internal volume by adding a spot to put casters.

If this were an install version, I'd lengthen that back panel (panel I) to make the path length longer and see how it sims.

But that's just if you are looking for the cabinet to dig slightly deeper. If not leave it as is.