3-way reference project??

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Hi Navin,

My thoughts go out to your mum. Here is a picture I took at my parents place a few weeks ago. It is traditional (at least in Australia) to give flowers when someone is not well. I hope (if you can show it to her) this cheers her up :)

4077482362_a174f75428.jpg

you can get a bigger size here

Tony.

Hi Navin,
My thoughts go out to your mum. Here is a picture I took at my parents place a few weeks ago. It is traditional (at least in Australia) to give flowers when someone is not well. I hope (if you can show it to her) this cheers her up :)

Thanks guys. Moms troubles are that she has severe oesteoporosis, chronic urinary tract infection, and is a very anxious and excitable person. This makes it very difficult for caregivers (doctors, nurses, and other help) to work with her. Anyway lets get back to this 3 Way speaker.

For the TL option I propose the 4th and 6th option on the bottom on page 4 in this PDF
http://www.kt.agh.edu.pl/~natkanie/papers/TLS.pdf

If the speaker is about about 1.3m tall you should get a line that is 2.5m+ enough to go down to 35Hz or so sorta like here
http://www.iplacoustics.co.uk/S5tl Dome.htm

Last edited:
Navin

The 3W Classic with the MCA15RCY was a request to Troels from an Australian builder. Troels redesigned the mid crossover for him and said the crossover for the tweeter and woofer sections should work as per the original design values. It was not documented at Troels site as was a one off.

This is the original 3W Classic. Even though the woofer is the CA22NRX, it would not take too much to change it for the 10".
3W Classic link

Glad your mum is home and it's a traumatic event at that age.

Last edited:
The 3W Classic with the MCA15RCY was a request to Troels from an Australian builder. Troels redesigned the mid crossover for him and said the crossover for the tweeter and woofer sections should work as per the original design values. It was not documented at Troels site as was a one off.

Glad your mum is home and it's a traumatic event at that age.

Oops. Sorry. I looked all over Troels site for a 3W with a MCA15 option but could not find it. That confused me. I did not know that the mod was not documented.

Crossover check

I ran some quick numbers through PCD. It's a bit rough and doesn't take variables into account or tweaked for best phase etc.

Using the 27TFFC + MCA15RCY + CA26RFX drivers, the woofer xo from the 3-way Classic, the mid xo on post #297 with 2R7 padding instead of 3R9 and a simpler 2nd order (5.6uF + 0.33mH with 3R9 padding amp side) on the tweeter which shows these drivers would work well with a simple 2nd order. Only the mid is reversed polarity.

I picked the CA26RFX as to me is the better woofer and worth the extra money over the CA26RE4X plus it is closer in behaviour to the woofer in the 3-way Classic (CA22RNX).

The 27TDFC drops right in and may need a tad of extra padding.

Not too shabby and if you look at the graphs, this combination has the potential to be very good and would be easy to tweak.

Attachments

• 27TFFC_MCA15_CA26RFX.gif
    27TFFC_MCA15_CA26RFX.gif
    23.3 KB · Views: 495
  • 27TFFC_MCA15_CA26RFX_imp.gif
    27TFFC_MCA15_CA26RFX_imp.gif
    21.7 KB · Views: 478
Crossover check continued

Due to the good behaviour of these drivers there is a strong possibility that a simple 1st order could be used for those who like the lower order crossovers. For it to work a zobel would be required on the woofer and an undersized zobel on the mid for roll off shaping. The tweeter is reversed polarity.

The drivers are 27TDFC + MCA15RCY + CA26RFX with the tweeter changed as the 27TDFC is more suitable for a 1st order crossover due to the lower Fs and previous experience with pushing this tweeter.

It may even work the same in a 1st order classic series crossover.

Doesn't look to bad either and once again a rough check in PCD.

Please remember my 3-ways suck but these posts do show the potential on offer.

Attachments

• 27TDFC_MCA15_CA26RFX.gif
    27TDFC_MCA15_CA26RFX.gif
    23.2 KB · Views: 476
  • 27TDFC_MCA15_CA26RFX_imp.gif
    27TDFC_MCA15_CA26RFX_imp.gif
    21.5 KB · Views: 459
I ran some quick numbers through PCD.
Using the 27TFFC + MCA15RCY + CA26RFX drivers, the woofer xo from the 3-way Classic, the mid xo on post #297 with 2R7 padding instead of 3R9 and a simpler 2nd order (5.6uF + 0.33mH with 3R9 padding amp side) on the tweeter which shows these drivers would work well with a simple 2nd order. Only the mid is reversed polarity.

Not too shabby and if you look at the graphs, this combination has the potential to be very good and would be easy to tweak.

A tad (0.5db) less padding on the tweeter and mid might be in order as the woofer will get some gain from room placement.

Due to the good behaviour of these drivers there is a strong possibility that a simple 1st order could be used for those who like the lower order crossovers.

The drivers are 27TDFC + MCA15RCY + CA26RFX with the tweeter changed as the 27TDFC is more suitable for a 1st order crossover due to the lower Fs and previous experience with pushing this tweeter.

It may even work the same in a 1st order classic series crossover.
Please remember my 3-ways suck but these posts do show the potential on offer.

The moment you mentioned "1st order" I thought "series". Andy G had written a lot about series networks a few years ago. I built a 2 way series (using Vifa TC series components in 2004) and the experience was wonderful the woofer - tweeter integration was seamless.

Nice work this is a lot of progress. Is the later design (with TDFC tweeter) 1st order?

BTW did you only account for the drivers electrical characteristics? or did you account for the driver topology and cabinet dimensions as well?

Last edited:
Navin

I live close to Andy G and very familair with his 1st order series speakers and the sonics they provide and he was the one that got me into them. If I didn't mention series Andy would thump me big time. :whip: Most of my designs use classic series or AR series crossovers but there are some with parallel crossovers (don't tell Andy).

The 27TDFC in post #315 is using a 1st order filter and the damping resistor in the L-pad helps the roll off to reduce issues at Fs.

The crossovers only use the driver's behaviour and only a rough exercise to show the potential. The frd and zma were only coarse traced manufacturer's graphs as I have a problem with my hands using the mouse with extended clicking. It's a shame there's not some good frd / zma databases out there as there must be so much measured data around. Maybe there can be one added at diyAudio in the future.

For someone who is very experienced at 3-way crossovers (hint Troels) this crossover would be a doddle.

I live close to Andy G and very familair with his 1st order series speakers and the sonics they provide and he was the one that got me into them. If I didn't mention series Andy would thump me big time.

The crossovers only use the driver's behaviour and only a rough exercise to show the potential.

For someone who is very experienced at 3-way crossovers (hint Troels) this crossover would be a doddle.

If Andy, Troels and co jump in this project would be done in a day!

I think they are just sitting on the sidelines looking at us make bunnies of ourselves. :D