• The Vendor's Bazaar forum is for commercial offers and transactions. Only unmoderated members can post here.

diyAudio provides this forum for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members. Use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

2x150W Amp module for sale

Thanks @wirewiggler - that's what I've read from a lot of Maggie owners is an amp with a lot of watts/amps is needed to make them "sing".. Nice job on your build! Alright - a naive question: did you have to cut/drill out your own holes for the XLR ports (and probably for the speaker terminals though in searching Aliexpress I see a lot of empty cases come pre drilled for speaker posts and AC inlet)? What do you guys use to cut out the (aluminum) backplate? Randy --> this aligns with your question of if enough buyers agree for a "group buy" then a customized amp case pre-drilled for this amp can be created, right?

Thanks @wirewiggler - that's what I've read from a lot of Maggie owners is an amp with a lot of watts/amps is needed to make them "sing".. Nice job on your build! Alright - a naive question: did you have to cut/drill out your own holes for the XLR ports (and probably for the speaker terminals though in searching Aliexpress I see a lot of empty cases come pre drilled for speaker posts and AC inlet)? What do you guys use to cut out the (aluminum) backplate? Randy --> this aligns with your question of if enough buyers agree for a "group buy" then a customized amp case pre-drilled for this amp can be created, right?
Indeed! But no need for group buy, I respect my fellow enthusiasts and been through all the lifes ups and downs and somewhere in the past struggled with a hand file on 4 mm plate!!! I am content with postage, material cost and a small machining fee. Just upload your files for custom holes and things. Everything including material sources are all above board

Dagger,
I use a drill press with step drills and a saber saw and file. Aluminum for the most part can be cut with wood tools. I do use a triple chip blade on my table saw but have used standard carbide blades in the past. The main consideration is be prepared for kickback and proper eye protection. Oh and a mess of aluminum chips your wife will be pissed if you track into the house.

Hi Eric and fellow DIY'ers. I'm new to DIY'ing so I apologize up front if I ask some basic or imprecise questions. I have difficult speakers to drive: Magnepan LRS. These are measured to be 3.3 Ohm speakers that dip to around 2.2 Ohms and they are only about 81dB efficient. I am exploring a lot of different options but would like to try my hand at assembling my own amp. I have a dual ES9038q2m DAC with balanced XLR outputs, so looking for an amp with XLR inputs which this amp has. My question is will this current amp (150W max @ 4 Ohms) work with my speakers in a rather large room, or should I wait for the upcoming 2x350W version? Thank you in advance! Cheers - David
Hi, David
The current 150W*2 module will support the minimum load impedance is near 3.3ohm. I think it's not suitable for your 2.2ohm speaker.
With the chip class D design, they use the PBTL to support this requirement, and its minimum load can support lower to 1ohm. In our design, we use the high voltage (rail with +/-60V) , this this more suitable for higher load impedance.

Thanks,Eric

Hi Eric and thank you very much for responding to my questions! My memory was off just a bit, as the minimum dip is 2.8 ohms and not 2.2 ohms. The averaged load is 3.3 ohms, but there is little change in the phase, so "a resistive load" I believe is the term. Here is the chart/measurements from JA/Stereophile on this speaker (I hope I am allowed to show giving proper credit?):

1666803603241.png

Based on the above, would this amp or the FFA02/03 amps be suitable?

Thank you again - David

Hi Eric and thank you very much for responding to my questions! My memory was off just a bit, as the minimum dip is 2.8 ohms and not 2.2 ohms. The averaged load is 3.3 ohms, but there is little change in the phase, so "a resistive load" I believe is the term. Here is the chart/measurements from JA/Stereophile on this speaker (I hope I am allowed to show giving proper credit?):

View attachment 1103102

Based on the above, would this amp or the FFA02/03 amps be suitable?

Thank you again - David
Hi, David

Thanks for your update. Based on this, I'll recommend you try the FFA003 module. But the Cons. is, it's just the mono output.

Thanks,
Eric

Look at the design, it should have the UL/CE, because it used on some brand products :D
Anyway, I appreciate your comments,

Thanks, Eric
What brands? Do you have the test data for the newer version? And for what i can that the unit goes into high distortion, max power , at 4 ohms, about .6 to .8 V, ,while most standalone DAC can output 2V. Can you explain this design decision? Tks

And i agree with a prior poster coment, the data is presented in a non standard way and it is a little confusing,at least for me.

Tks.

If a pair of the FAA003 will fit in a 215X308X90 case I will buy a pair, most of my amps are dual mono anyway.
Bill
Hi, Bill
The FFA003 module with the size of 90x245x40, I think it'll be suitable for your case:), will let you know more detail about this module once it is ready to announce here.
Thanks for your continuous support of my products.

Thanks,Eric

What brands? Do you have the test data for the newer version? And for what i can that the unit goes into high distortion, max power , at 4 ohms, about .6 to .8 V, ,while most standalone DAC can output 2V. Can you explain this design decision? Tks

And i agree with a prior poster coment, the data is presented in a non standard way and it is a little confusing,at least for me.

Tks.
Hi, Frabor
Let me first thank you for your reaching out.
I'm not going to mention my client here for free AD, but the internet has no secrets, PEOPLE will find out by themselves.

The 4ohm output powered limited by the output current sensor, which will drive the limiter circuit (VCA control circuit) to 150W setting, that's why you saw the max power with .6/.8 input rms level( Be remember we have 6dB gain on the I/O buffer)
I know, you mentioned the DAC output level will up to 2V, definitely, it's normal, you can add the volume stage or lower the I/O buffer gain(I replied this in previous thread).

For the datasheet reading, It depends on how you interpret the data,(I'm more like my curve settings :) ,) it tells you the OUTPUT POWER, THD+N and the Input sensitivity; For a further step, you can have the frequency data comparasion.

Appreciate for your comments~~

Thanks,Eric

Eric can you tell us which resistors to change to reduce the gain of the amp?
Hi, Frank
Check below pic of the I/O board.
Currently R22=R23=R24 =R25=2.49K, R20=R21=4.99K。
And the Gain =1+ (2x R24)/R21; same for the other channel.
So, you need to change the R20 or R21 to adjust the gain of the corresponding channel.

Thanks,Eric

Attachments

• 1666882522171.png
    1666882522171.png
    17.3 KB · Views: 131