2SC5200 Power Amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well I learned something today. I was out of BD139 so I stuck a 2sc3423-Y in there because I had a bunch of them. Well it turns out you can't just use anything in the vbe multipliers. Every time I would try to power it up the current would go too high and light my bulb tester. I tried the 2sc3423 in the spice file and sure enough, the current would go over 250mA per device. So I pulled the c3423 and installed a MJE340 and now the bias is actually too low. Looks like it's time to order some BD139s.

Blessings, Terry

Well I learned something today. I was out of BD139 so I stuck a 2sc3423-Y in there because I had a bunch of them. Well it turns out you can't just use anything in the vbe multipliers. Every time I would try to power it up the current would go too high and light my bulb tester. I tried the 2sc3423 in the spice file and sure enough, the current would go over 250mA per device. So I pulled the c3423 and installed a MJE340 and now the bias is actually too low. Looks like it's time to order some BD139s.

Blessings, Terry

Did you change the trimpot with fix value resistor?

Hi Bimo,

I'm not saying you should change anything, I can only report what I see. I spent two days going over every part and trace thinking I had something wrong when it turned out to be that I should have used the BD139 that your schematic called for. I suppose if you want to make it so it will work with a variety of devices in that position, you would need to lower the 470R and increase the trimmer. I will try a 200R trimmer tomorrow and see if the 2SC3423 will work.

the Vbe multiplier "multiplies" it's own Vbe and applies that to the output. That is the bias voltage. A 2EF requires ~2.4V whereas a 3EF requires about 3.6V, A BJT driver feeding a FET SF might require 7V

If a different transistor has a different Vbe, then it will have a different output voltage.

You change the resistor ratios to get back to the output voltage that the amplifier requires.

If the resistor values are chosen such that the correct output voltage is outside the range required, then the wrong resistor values have been selected.

Last edited:
the Vbe multiplier "multiplies" it's own Vbe and applies that to the output. That is the bias voltage. A 2EF requires ~2.4V whereas a 3EF requires about 3.6V, A BJT driver feeding a FET SF might require 7V

If a different transistor has a different Vbe, then it will have a different output voltage.

You change the resistor ratios to get back to the output voltage that the amplifier requires.

If the resistor values are chosen such that the correct output voltage is outside the range required, then the wrong resistor values have been selected.

The bias servo is from Hugh Dean http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/attachments/everything-else/119278d1226042919-attention-aksa-55-hugh-thinking-let-us-see-schematics-forum-aksaconceptual.gif

You think Hugh Dean is wrong?
Several people built this schematic with BD139 transistor as bias servo. It can work.

Are you the "Designer" of your amplifier?

Then YOU as Designer has to select the resistors to give the range of output voltage that the amplifier needs.

Copying some else's values can get you started, but there is no way that another person who has no idea how you plan to use their sch and values can know what your amplifier needs.

I gave three examples of an amplifier's needs: 2.4Vdc, 3.6Vdc & 7Vdc
The amplifier Designer has to select the resistor values.
It has nothing to do with AKSA.

Last edited:
Are you the "Designer" of your amplifier?

Then YOU as Designer has to select the resistors to give the range of output voltage that the amplifier needs.

Copying some else's values can get you started, but there is no way that another person who has no idea how you plan to use their sch and values can know what your amplifier needs.

I gave three examples of an amplifier's needs: 2.4Vdc, 3.6Vdc & 7Vdc
The amplifier Designer has to select the resistor values.
It has nothing to do with AKSA.

:D
I see. Hugh Dean can not do wrong, I am nobody can do wrong.

My amplifier was built by several people. They must be wrong, too. :D

Hey guys, I didn't mean to start a fire storm. I'm sure the amp works fine with the BD139. As I said, I have run out of them. I only shared what I found because I learned something new that I thought others might benefit from. I surely never meant to suggest that there was anything wrong with this design. I plan to try a 200R trimmer with the 2SC3423 and see if that will work. Someone else may want to build this amp and would be nice to know if there are options. I can also provide a PDF for the iron transfer I used if that is OK with Bimo. I should have it playing today and I can give a report on the sound.

Blessings, Terry

Hey guys, I didn't mean to start a fire storm. I'm sure the amp works fine with the BD139. As I said, I have run out of them. I only shared what I found because I learned something new that I thought others might benefit from. I surely never meant to suggest that there was anything wrong with this design. I plan to try a 200R trimmer with the 2SC3423 and see if that will work. Someone else may want to build this amp and would be nice to know if there are options. I can also provide a PDF for the iron transfer I used if that is OK with Bimo. I should have it playing today and I can give a report on the sound.

Blessings, Terry

It is OK, Terry. It is not your fault. :)
You can share the PDF.

Hi Bimo,

I am attaching the PDF I used to make my PCB. I made a grayscale too in jpg.

Attachments

• Anistardi ASKA 55 clone iron.docx.pdf
    203.6 KB · Views: 788
  • Gray scale image.jpg
    Gray scale image.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 1,739
OK the saga continues. I installed a 200R in the channel that still had the 2SC3423 installed in the vbe multiplier. I adjusted the trimmer to 200R and fired it up. I'm reading 0.00 across the pair of 0.33R resistors so I start turning the adjustment screw and it seems like I have to go a long way before I start to see change but it finally does start to rise so I set it at 50mV which should be 75mA per device. Looks good so I measure the trimmer an it is 22R. What???? So for kicks and giggles I pull the MJE340 from the other channel, reinstall the 2SC3423, set the trimmer to 100R and fire it up. Bias is at 0.00 and I begin to turn the set screw and low an behold the bias rises just like it is supposed to and I set it at 50mV. I shut it down and measured the trimmer and it is 22R. So now I can't explain why on Friday Both channels had extremely high bias but today all is well. It seems 100R is just fine for the trimmer, maybe even 50R. Sorry for all the confusion. I have had it playing for about 1/2 hour and it sounds very nice. Once I've let in burn in for a while I'll compare it to some other amps. I did hook it up to the scope and it looks like it is not very fast. The square waves get pretty rounded by the time you get to 20khz. I didn't check for clipping behavior. I'll do that later. I can post some pictures of scope shots then too if anyone is interested.

Blessings, Terry

EDIT; here's a pic of it playing.

Attachments

• Anistardi ASKA clone.jpg
    Anistardi ASKA clone.jpg
    538.5 KB · Views: 1,498
Last edited:
Hi Bimo,

I'm attaching pics of the ASKA.

I hooked them up to the A/B system. Too close to call. Both sound lovely.

Attachments

• ASKA 50khz.jpg
    ASKA 50khz.jpg
    376.2 KB · Views: 150
  • ASKA 20khz.jpg
    ASKA 20khz.jpg
    938.5 KB · Views: 147
  • ASKA 10khz.jpg
    ASKA 10khz.jpg
    340.7 KB · Views: 160
  • ASKA 5khz.jpg
    ASKA 5khz.jpg
    335.2 KB · Views: 1,082
  • ASKA 1khz.jpg
    ASKA 1khz.jpg
    857 KB · Views: 1,200
  • ASKA clipping.jpg
    ASKA clipping.jpg
    337.7 KB · Views: 1,316
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.