200W MOSFET CFA amp

The test at full 200W power on 8 ohm. This only 2.7 times more than the simulation showed, not bad for simulation and then some people do not take the simulation seriously enough.

Attachments

• full rated power into 8. 20KHz. .002% THD.jpg
    full rated power into 8. 20KHz. .002% THD.jpg
    290.7 KB · Views: 660
THD+N or 2nd harmonic only with hum filter bandwidth 80khz averaged or rms?
Simulation results depends on good transistor models. I'm lucky we have so much good models - thanks to all who contributed so good models to us!

BR, Toni

Yes Toni we have to thank those who contributed with so good models.
Regarding measurement I don't know, it's not my measurement (I wish it is with so good tools what I don't have).

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
RNMarsh's measurements? Maybe he can bring some light into "darkness"?;)
I'm owner of a panasonic/levear vp7723d which has different measurement options.

Hi. The 7723 wont go low enough. I used to have one. The test shown is THD only. 2H and 3H only --- nothing seen of higher harmonics. Average... not rms. 8 ohm load.

The EC works amazingly well at all levels and loads and freq. Works extremely well with CFA characteristics.

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member
My vp7723d can measure below 0.0005% THD+N @ 20khz. Just using the sweet spot of the oscillator output and the balanced input range. Always included is noise which is of course also important to get a feeling of the overall performance. It is nice to be able to measure a specific harmonic with the vp7722.

With the vp7723d residual output displayed on a spectrum analyzer you can see in detail all harmonics and noise distribution.

Merry christmas to all diy'ers!

BR, Toni

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Most of the time and especially at normal listening output levels, the THD will be well below .001% and often below .0005%. So, you are marginal....... I use 3 instruments ... as the need gets lower and lower in THD/Harmonics.... VP7722, Audio Precision 2277 and the ShibaSoku 725D.

With the 725D and an FFT on its monitor output, -160dBv can be read accurately.

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member
Really impressive measurement tools! Are you meaning AP 2722?
Wow: -160dbV are 0.028 µV Really? :(

Could you measure the 1W, 50, 100 and 200W@8R performance again using the THD+N function of your VP7722 with 80 kHz bandwidth filter activated. No 400Hz filter active. Using 2x60 - 2x62V stabilized power supply?
Just as reference because our measurement results are different. My results can be found by the link in post #1 of this thread.

Thx in advance, Toni

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Yes, AP2722. And -160 with 725D and QA401 on monitor.

some time in the not-too-far future,. but cannot now. I am not in Bangkok any more.... was there for 2 months but In California now. No amp here.

a very small portion of my T&M gear --->

DSC01717.JPG

FFT-THD.jpg

DSC01699.JPG

DSC01698.JPG

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
Most of the time and especially at normal listening output levels, the THD will be well below .001% and often below .0005%. So, you are marginal....... I use 3 instruments ... as the need gets lower and lower in THD/Harmonics.... VP7722, Audio Precision 2277 and the ShibaSoku 725D.

With the 725D and an FFT on its monitor output, -160dBv can be read accurately.

This leads to a question. How can-we explain the differences we can feel in our listening experiences, between two different amps with close performances like those ?