200W MOSFET CFA amp

Ah, nice to see the fruits of ones labour, enjoy cheers rick

edit: instead of getting a bigger transformer, i suggest to get another same 500va transformer/rect/filter and make it mono-block type construction. we see most hi-end amps have separate transformers or secondary winding.

Last edited:
Ah, nice to see the fruits of ones labour, enjoy cheers rick

edit: instead of getting a bigger transformer, i suggest to get another same 500va transformer/rect/filter and make it mono-block type construction. we see most hi-end amps have separate transformers or secondary winding.

You are right about two transformers, but the problem is, one I have gives +-50 DC after the caps and for this amp to get full power I need +-65 DC.
I intended to use two PS regulators similar to one I use with my TT amp but with the VMOSFET as the regulated transistor and In this case is the same if I use one or two transformers, but one is cheaper even od double VA.

200W CFA VMOSFET

Updated schematic, PCB and BOM.
Damir

Attachments

• 200W-CFA-VMOSFET-OICTPC-sche.jpg
    200W-CFA-VMOSFET-OICTPC-sche.jpg
    380.2 KB · Views: 671
  • 200W CFA VMOSFET-dado-1_1.jpg
    200W CFA VMOSFET-dado-1_1.jpg
    245.5 KB · Views: 650
  • 200W-CFA-VMOSFET-BOM.txt
    2.1 KB · Views: 149
If i add more power mosfets in parallel to the output mosfets, the power will increase without effecting distortion and other specifications ?

And, how will the voltage variation of 100mV of blue LED effect the bias and the overall performance of the circuit ?

It was designed that one pair of the drivers drive two pairs of output mosfets.
I selected (matched) two blue LEDs to have the similar thermal behavior, and the LED voltage drop at 5mA was 2.75 to 2.77 V. With that LED the output bias current increased some during warm-up and than stayed stable with quite hot main heat sink.

It was designed that one pair of the drivers drive two pairs of output mosfets.
I selected (matched) two blue LEDs to have the similar thermal behavior, and the LED voltage drop at 5mA was 2.75 to 2.77 V. With that LED the output bias current increased some during warm-up and than stayed stable with quite hot main heat sink.

All LEDs are blue ? Bom says 2 red 1 blue.

5mA, means you probably use 5 MM LEDs. It is relatively a too low current for BD139-140 . What is the reason to select such a high power transistor for a lowcurrent ?

So, people who wants to make this ampli have to match LEDs too ?

Sorry for many questions.

All LEDs are blue ? Bom says 2 red 1 blue.

5mA, means you probably use 5 MM LEDs. It is relatively a too low current for BD139-140 . What is the reason to select such a high power transistor for a lowcurrent ?

So, people who wants to make this ampli have to match LEDs too ?

Sorry for many questions.

Two red LEDs and one blue LED(in the Vbe multiplier) all 3mm. Better to do some LED matching, nothing critical.
The VAS current is 6mA about, and BD139/140 are chosen because of the TO126 case, to fix them to the heat sinks.
Your question about LED was not clear to me.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Dear Damir,

congratulations to you for your new amplifier!

Count me in for 1-2 pcb's for measurements and hearing tests. :)

THX and BR, Toni

P.S.: found some errata on your circuit drawing. See attached picture.
P.P.S.: Would it be possible for you to add an index in your first post to easily find the latest and up2date schematics, bom and ltspice asc files? THX

Attachments

• cfa_circuit_errata_2.png
    cfa_circuit_errata_2.png
    92.3 KB · Views: 448
Last edited:
Dear Damir,

would it be possible to replace
2SC2240/2SA970 with KSA992F/KSC1845F
and
2SC3503/2SA1381 with KSA1381E and KSC3503D?
BR, Toni

Thank you Toni for finding some of my always present errors.
I will do as you suggested, add the link in the first post to the post with correct sch bom and asc files.
Regarding replacement transistors I think that there should not be a problem specially with 3503/1381.
BR, Damir