2 way waveguide speaker build ABEC modelling

I have also started on a design that I'll share later today.
Did I miss it somehow?

The old CNC came apart much easer than it went together and I now have a nice assembly table :)

attachment.php

New base frame is taking shape, non ferrous blades really do cut aluminium nicely

attachment.php

Attachments

• CNC Disassembled.jpg
    CNC Disassembled.jpg
    380.6 KB · Views: 1,119
  • New CNC Base.jpg
    New CNC Base.jpg
    568.4 KB · Views: 1,122
Last edited:
The new table top is now completed, this is much better and considerably lighter than the previous try.

attachment.php

Hopefully in the near future I'll be able to do woodworking on a speaker instead of a tool to make a speaker :)

attachment.php

New spoilboard supports are much stiffer and better braced than before

attachment.php

Attachments

• New Top.jpg
    New Top.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 712
  • New Top Detail.jpg
    New Top Detail.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 715
  • New Spoilboard Supports.jpg
    New Spoilboard Supports.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 709
Its a race, who gets to build vs who gets to listen :)
I will probably lose both those races :)

Some functional parts have been 3D printed, drag chain mounts and enclosure handles

attachment.php

I can see why ABS is tricky. Almost at the end of this print something went wrong and a lot of spaghetti was the result.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 3dPrints.jpg
    3dPrints.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 648
  • ABS Failure.jpg
    ABS Failure.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 649
I'm not sure the Purifi drivers are ideally suited but don't let that stop you from trying :)

Progress is happening if slowly. I found a nice dust shoe to print for my Makita Router, waiting on a brush strip to arrive to see if it fits the slot as the one it was designed for is impossible to get here.

Printed very fast with a 0.3mm layer so the finish is rough but the parts are strong.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• DustBoot.jpg
    DustBoot.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 1,088
  • DustBootClose.jpg
    DustBootClose.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 1,093
Nice :)

Did you not want to try porting the woofers into the horn? Seems like it would have been a good application.

I did, but my friend who ordered the speakers wanted good punchy bass...
I feel like the bass from taps isn't as punchy and doesn't extend quite as much-
Unless the taps are very big which would degrade the performance of a small horn like this.

Progress is in slow motion, Linear rails have been installed, 3D printed dust collection boom parts visible on the right side

attachment.php

Bearing blocks cleaned and greased, this was a real time drain

attachment.php

Attachments

• Linear Rails Small.jpg
    Linear Rails Small.jpg
    437.5 KB · Views: 687
  • Bearing Blocks.jpg
    Bearing Blocks.jpg
    386.3 KB · Views: 670
That material is beautifully cnc'd and if the contour spacings are tight enough doesn't need much sanding at all.
It looks pretty nice when sealed with beeswax.
Only thing is the dust from it stains a lot and is probably not very healthy to be arond.
The finish is waaay better than MDF

While I have been having some fun with 3D printing I haven't forgotten the CNC. Fairly close to having the mechanical setup completed. Getting the lubricant for the bearings and rails proved to be difficult. Standard amber lithium grease caused the small guides to grind to a halt. Slickoleum which is used in cycling and motocross for fork seals turned out to be the right consistency and viscosity to make the balls roll instead of drag in the races.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• CNC Update.jpg
    CNC Update.jpg
    393.3 KB · Views: 482
  • Z Axis.jpg
    Z Axis.jpg
    420.4 KB · Views: 480