150 Hz / 250 Hz / 350 Hz noise in linear PSU

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
To keep the bal to se scaling correct, and the two input impedances the same, the resistor values connected to the inverting input should be 3x the values of the resistors connected to the non-inverting input. A quick LTspice test should confirm that, see attached. Currents in R3 & R12 are equal and voltages at opamp inputs are equal.

Jan

I revisited this tonight, and found what you mean. First I had to set a max timeset to 0.1u and the other thing I had to do was use actual values for my resistors, as it just did not work with 3 * {RES}

It does show about 8db lower third harmonic (it is already ridiculously low at around -230db but goes down to around -242db (ltSpice fantasy land).

So if it doesn't affect the noise, I will be implementing this suggestion. Thanks! :)

Tony.

Keeping it to a bit to Power Supply topic I think it is an advantage that 1 kHz kit has batteries as PSU to break any ground loop in my current setup with 2i2.
You are using a laptop to power the 2i2, and as well your mains supply doesn't have a protective earth. As such you don't have a ground loop to break, and if you wanted you could run the laptop on its batteries, so your spectrum plot has a confident low level of hum related frequency components, which are related just to layout and leakage to cables and 2i2. That then gives you a confident benchmark from which to make single changes in amplifier setup and operation, and to make fairly robust comparison assessments.

If you can justify the stand-alone 1kHz oscillator then that certainly should provide a very nice benchmark. It is always better to have independent testing means, to allow comparisons, and hence allow a rugged confirmation that there isn't some quirk leading you astray.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.