15" OSWG & 15" OB 4 ME

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a BMS 4538 1" which could sit pretty in a large OSWG, while I'm waiting for my larger 2" drivers to arrive I may try and knock up a faceted OSWG, if I make the 'petals' from thick enough stock, I have some 1.5" cherry, there may be enough material to turn them round on the inside.

Has anyone tried continuing the round over of the mouth of the horn back on itself ala JMLC?

If these aren't to be mounted on a baffle, then would it be silly not too?

Couldn't a steeper crossover solve that problem?
I though you were going active with your new series?

After multisubs, next logical step would be DSP. Something similar to JBL M2.

I expected eliptical waveguide though, when i read that everything will be different few days earlier - but let's wait and see what Mr Earl prepared for us :)

I'm a big fan of his WG concept.

EDIT:

Something on topic - not OB though. Me and two of my friends making test cabinets for some waveguides with DE250 and Beyma SM115/K (aka 15K200) :)

http://s7.postimg.org/r873o30a3/image.jpg

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
After multisubs, next logical step would be DSP. Something similar to JBL M2.

I expected eliptical waveguide though, when i read that everything will be different few days earlier - but let's wait and see what Mr Earl prepared for us :)

I'm a big fan of his WG concept.

I built an elliptical waveguide. It had tradeoffs just as you would expect. I did not find the trade offs worthwhile. I have only been using DSP lately. The MiniDSP is a very good solution to the crossover problem. Back in the days when these boxes cost thousands, then several hundred, the cost-benefit was not there. But in volume the miniDSP is extremely attractive.

That system is active. I don't see how the slope could change the acoustics. At any rate I usually do look at various slopes for the crossover. In general the slopes do not have much effect on the polar response. The frequency does of course.
If the problem you get at 1500Hz is caused by the woofer narrowing directivity above your crossover point then a steeper slope would certainly attenuate its effect by 1500Hz...

I don't think that it's that simple. At least changing the slopes did not actually improve the result in the design. Remember that changing the slopes changes the phase which is a critical part of the polar response. The crossover point is well below 1500 Hz so the narrowing is more likely a result of the waveguide than the woofer, but interactions between the two were certainly a factor.

A couple of points:

I have just finished my New Summas which are an update to the originals which I can no longer make. They improved upon a great many things and here is a polar map of the results.

This is the best speaker that I have ever made, but John is right, it is too big. It is too big for me to make in my own shop (although I did do these with great difficulty) and it is too big to ship easily and it is too big for reasonable placement in a room.

Hence, I began to look at what makes the Summa and Abbey great and have concluded that a cut down Summa waveguide (because it works very well) and the 12" woofer in the Abbey would allow me to make a speaker that works as well as the summa but in a package the size of an Abbey. I am going to build one of these when I get a chance. I think that will be a sweet spot.

Regarding a dipole enclosure with an OSWG, I have always thought this might be attractive. So I recently did build a dipole coax speaker. With an active EQ I could make something acceptable (below) but make no mistake about it a coaxial waveguide is not nearly as well controlled as a separate one. The thing that attracted me to the dipole was it gross simplicity to make - just a board with a driver mounted to it. Add some subs and you have a pretty good system. Not a Summa or Abbey, but not even 1/10 the cost.

Well that's my 2 cents.

That's awesome! I always thought the 12" is a good size for the average audiophile.

I built an elliptical waveguide. It had tradeoffs just as you would expect. I did not find the trade offs worthwhile. I have only been using DSP lately. The MiniDSP is a very good solution to the crossover problem. Back in the days when these boxes cost thousands, then several hundred, the cost-benefit was not there. But in volume the miniDSP is extremely attractive.

For the life of me I can't figure out why the car audio guys spend $500 on DSP boxes. MiniDSP does so much for so little cost and is so easy to use, it makes it really hard to get enthused about ever doing passive crossovers again.

I've been considering a bit of a 'hybrid' approach, due to the noise of the MiniDSP. Basically use a resistor and a cap on the compression driver to lower the efficiency, which should lower the noise floor. Right now the noise floor with a compression driver and miniDSP is so loud it's nearly unusable for me.

I had a customer who complained about noise in his crossover. Turns out that he was using amps that had no gain controls. By simply dropping the MiniDSP output gain by 10 dB the noise went away.

Basically the MiniDSP has input AND output gains and these have to be set correctly for your particular situation. Keep lowering the gains until - usually the output gain, until with your volume control all the way up you are at the loudest you will ever listen. Start with -10 dB gain on the input side.

The MiniDSP is not really noisy, but most people are not used to two gain settings in addition to their master volume control and this can get the system gains all out of whack.

Power amps should ALWAYS have gain controls, but with audiophool amps this is not always true.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.