10F/8424 & RS225-8 FAST / WAW Ref Monitor

Like OntMax, I'm considering building a pair with 2xRS225-8s, Several yeas ago I won 4x 10F/4424s and hope these will work. If I drive the 225s in parallel, is it 'simply' a matter of doubling and halving the component values in your crossover design? Nothing's that simple, but would I end up in a position to make relatively small changes in values get to a very good result?

Thanks

Yes that is what I am doing. 2.0mh main coil. 8.8uf and .47+.47 r's in parallel (I wonder if .235 ohms is even audible)
I will be having the full ranger on top in it's own cab and stepped back 3"
I will put the 600hz 6db filter (existing 61uf passively) in front of the amp instead. That way I can sub in many different types of the 600hz-and-up cabs. I was going to say different type of full rangers but some 4"-5"+tweeter systems could be interesting also instead of the full rangers. I have quite a few different options in mind. Possibilities are limitless and this setup will offer easy swapping. But I will be starting with the 8424 (blue Thiel ones). The 2 channels of amplification per channel will provide easy level matching between the RS225's and the 600hz+ cabs.

a) Thanks OM. In my case, I would need to handle the 8 t0 4 ohm shift for the HF unit. I expect that the issues there may be complcated by whatever differences there are between the two 10F units beyond the impedance change.

b) Bvan -- John Busch's Manzanitas (Fast, Fun . . . thread in multiway) are relevant here as the TC9 is close to the 10F in a lot of ways. I tend to think that you lose some quality when the dipole sound is not present for as wide a frequency range as possible. You balance this with getting a smaller speaker needing less midwoofer cone area in your idea. You'll have to be careful if you try to use a 1st degree slope on the 10F -- you would be getting a lot (too much?) power for the driver below the crossover freq.

Thanks for your reply Skip. Could I ask what the difference in power/excursion there would be in OB vs the 10F/8424 & RS225-8 FAST - I wouldn't have thought the enclosure small enough to limit excursion? (still haven't read enough of this thread to work out if the dagger is meant to be a sealed enclosure of its own or whether 10F and RS225 share same air space? Thanks

(still haven't read enough of this thread to work out if the dagger is meant to be a sealed enclosure of its own or whether 10F and RS225 share same air space? Thanks

This is a big question for me as well. In the illustrations on post 1, it doesn't look like the dagger covers the entire 10F, but it might just do so. So the question is: Is the dagger a high frequency back wave killer only, or a sealed volume to limit low frequency over-excursion as well?

Thanks XRK. I'd figured the drivers must be separated as you say. So the dagger itself is not sealed from the rest of the 10F chamber?

Another question if I may - would the SB23 be a drop in for the RS225? I saw your spin-off thread, but you were not using the 10F with that combo. If you were starting over, would you go for SB23 or RS225?

Cheers
B

Speaking of very enjoyable speakers, just for a well-repected reference and a very different design to compare to, I ordered some LS50s, taking advantage of the KEF recent bargain prices.

The thing is, my WAW Reference Monitors have been really singing lately. I settled on an attentuation level for the 10F/8414, returned to 4.0 mH on the RS225, improved my speaker stand situation, went with more toe-in, moved some acoustic treatment around in the room. It is simple hard for me to imagine the KEFs sounding better overall. Different, yes I'm sure of that.

Should be fun!

Should indeed be fun!

What are your initial impressions?

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
It’s the same xo - just adjust the padding resistors to attenuate the higher 91dB sensitivity more.

Make R1 bigger and R2 smaller but keep sum equal to 10ohms.

Maybe circa 6.8R and 2.7R. Or 8.2R and 2.2R? Measurements will show proper setting or your ear will tell you it’s too bright. Don’t do it so much that it gets the life squeezed out of it though.

656203d1515700364-10f-8424-rs225-8-fast-ref-monitor-xrk971-10f-rs225-fast-schematic-jpg

Last edited:
I had previously done a two way with an RS28 and was never completely happy with the sound. I was looking for other RS225 projects when I found your thread. I had never tried a FAST project so I decided to give it a try. I decided to try the 10F when I saw it at Madisound for 1/2 price. I am very happy with the sound. It is one of the clearest sounding speakers I have ever heard. That is what convinced me to try the FR58 project.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
It is one of the clearest sounding speakers I have ever heard. That is what convinced me to try the FR58 project.

Oh I remember now, you are the one who asked about the blue framed 10F. Those were a great deal - are they still on sale?

Thanks for the kind words. This speaker truly is one of the best I have heard. Which is why I still listen to it 4 years later. And now making a full blown PCB for the XO.

Cheers,
X

Btw, we are both waiting for our Parts Express orders to come in to make the microFAST FR58EX with the AC130F1.