10F/8424 & RS225-8 FAST / WAW Ref Monitor

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Nice work, Sadik. It would have been better to go with odd number of walls to reduce symmetric bell mode - but that’s ok as round cone seems to work too. Dagger should be sealed at end to prevent woofer from pressurizing it. Although if you tapered it and vented to outside via penetration on back wall, that would work too. I found no advantage to this though when Dagger was outside. I tried vented actually.

Nice work, Sadik. It would have been better to go with odd number of walls to reduce symmetric bell mode - but that’s ok as round cone seems to work too. Dagger should be sealed at end to prevent woofer from pressurizing it. Although if you tapered it and vented to outside via penetration on back wall, that would work too. I found no advantage to this though when Dagger was outside. I tried vented actually.

does the venting out of tapered end means the enclosure becomes aperiodic?

Slowly but surely the boxes are coming together. Had a few problems with dimensional accuracy of my cuts. Turns out 0.5mm is not good enough for really nice joints. Another lesson learned - do driver mounting holes before routing rebates and chamfers

Attachments

• IMG_20181126_183422.jpg
    IMG_20181126_183422.jpg
    635.5 KB · Views: 494
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Nice work Wxn! Don’t forget to add a good ball of fiberglass inside the cabinet. Put some around the crevices around Dagger too. You can of course, add that through driver cutout. I would add a piece of that padding on back wall where terminal cup is. That will ensure that back wave is absorbed substantially. And if you have more, add another on at least 1 sidewall. 3 walls will ensure no resonant modes are supported.

XPS Dagger

sorry from the pinkish color (at least on my old monitor) i thought the material was an xps foam!

I too thought it was foam, and cut so beautifully! Really seems like an ideal material for this application - easy to cut and glue, and should be easier to seal properly to the baffle compared to the sports cones currently in use. I think pentagonal pyramids will fit better in the tight spaces in my short cabinets.

Will use some black 3/16" Elmer's board for this attempt. The Black Daggers. And soon they will enclose a pair of 10f/8414g on order from Madisound.

Cam