10F/8424 & RS225-8 FAST / WAW Ref Monitor

That Satori looks like a beast!

You might be on something there, Byrtt.

I quickly played around importing frd and zma files into REW, moved the 2.5" midtweet over the side of the baffle, and the baffle step filled in the slight broad dip in the middle.

Added that in REW, and it looked nice enough.

Then, in XSim, I added the two woofers and a simple 1st order XO. It gave a sharp peak at 110Hz on the small midtweet which didn't look good, but, inverting drivers replaces the overall FR, but losing the linear phase...

But, we are now moving X's thread to WTW, which is not the design discussed here... I'll see if this needs a separate thread.

Attachments

• WTW design.png
    WTW design.png
    127.3 KB · Views: 572
  • SB25 with baffle step.png
    SB25 with baffle step.png
    56.5 KB · Views: 565
  • XSim of WTW2.jpg
    XSim of WTW2.jpg
    269.8 KB · Views: 2,449
Last edited:
Thanks, X!
It's as simple as it can be. I do believe there's potential.

I think I can improve things a bit by adding a Zobel or two.

Also wondering if the woofers should be in separate sections, or share a common volume.

Still twisting my brain trying to come up with a more elegant solution for the oval woofers... Just looks plain strange to me... but then again, maybe strange is good.

ping cgodecke

I am in Ft. Collins and would like to hear some of your speakers. I have a very large room for listening if you wanted to bring some equipment over. My source and amp are mid grade at best but you might find them ok.

I pmed you but thought you might never see it. I am near Taft and Drake.

David Sundby 970-223-3908 landline thank you

Oh-oh! My next project looks already in concept phase.

There's also a matching passive radiator for the "racetrack" 5x8 driver, just add to the mix. Could make it better to mate a single SB15SFCR39 to an 8Ohm mid-tweet.
I'd say equipping this concept with a passive radiator (or a port for that matter) would rob it of it's Dunlavy spirit.

If you can tolerate speaker grills that would be a simple solution.

I usually don't, but in this case, it might be the easiest solution. Thanks!

Hmmm... Continue the Dunlavy path by surface mounting & adding felt?

I did think about that. Make a wider rebate and fill it with foam or felt... easier to cut to the size of the SB 2.5".

Oh-oh! My next project looks already in concept phase.

There's also a matching passive radiator for the "racetrack" 5x8 driver, just add to the mix. Could make it better to mate a single SB15SFCR39 to an 8Ohm mid-tweet.

Using only one woofer, you'll have to pad down the mid tweet, lowering efficiency. And mostly, losing the wonderful radiation pattern Byrtt showed us earlier.

Learning more about XOs and trying to apply it.

Now, this one has a lot more parts in it, but impedance and especially phase are nicely controlled.

The resulting FR is quite pretty as well.

My best take on an XO so far, I think. Won't be cheap, though!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-12-06 at 6.00.34 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-12-06 at 6.00.34 PM.png
    152 KB · Views: 2,529
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Nice work Perceval. Your complexity is not bad. Price should be reasonable with values you have. On large caps you can save by using non polar electrolytic and bypass with a small value film cap. For example a 50uF NP and 10uF film can work and save a bundle. Sounds quite good too. Coils for woofer can also be ferrite core and save some there as well.

Can you repeat what model of the drivers are for above simulation? It looks like sensitivity is 87dB on average at 1m and 2.83v?

Last edited:
It's the WMW that Byrtt hinted on, showing really good dispersion.

So, a Dunlavy kinda setup, using SBA drivers with two 5x8" SB15SFCR39-8 and a SB65WBAC25-4 2.5" in the middle. C-to-C distance is really low, but it does look kind of funky, so a grill might make it more pleasing visually.

I'm wondering if the woofers should have their own space, or share a single volume.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
It's the WMW that Byrtt hinted on, showing really good dispersion.

So, a Dunlavy kinda setup, using SBA drivers with two 5x8" SB15SFCR39-8 and a SB65WBAC25-4 2.5" in the middle. C-to-C distance is really low, but it does look kind of funky, so a grill might make it more pleasing visually.

I'm wondering if the woofers should have their own space, or share a single volume.

Same volume is actually best as they are acting in unison and any minor differences between woofers will average out better - plus less complex to make. The tweeter will require a setback or some sort of waveguide, What is the distance you are using to get the phase alignment? Circa 3in? So the baffle will have a step or a waveguide which will increas CTC distance.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
You can estimate the acoustic center (AC) by about where the voice coils are. But that’s good there was no additional delay required. This is why sometimes coaxials that have the tweeter as a CD driving through a hole in the voice coil of the woofer automatically have better time alignment. I would guess maybe only 1in or at most 2in is needed then. A lot less drastic than 3in.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I was surprised by how affordable the racetrack woofer is from Madisound is $42ea. My concern is that the 84dB SB65 may not be able to keep up with the two woofers. In parallel as 4ohm load, they have about 92dB sensitivity at 2.83v. If we account for a circa 5dB baffle step loss, that’s 87dB at 2.83v. That would match an 87dB 10F or a B80 much more. But then you don’t get the nice aluminum dome tweeter like top end of the SB65. Maybe a waveguide can buy +3dB and get the needed 2-3in setback?