10F/8424 & RS225-8 FAST / WAW Ref Monitor

Hi Guys,
first time writing here (and, as you will see, not expert in speaker design at all...)
I'm planning to build the monitors with the B80s in a 24lt box (10" baffle) using the specific XO by xrk971, but I would like to get some more bass extension without the Linkwitz transform.
What do you think of a vented design just adding a ~30 Hz tuned port (5x25 cm)? The group delay, also reported at the very beginning of this thread, looks "fairly" ok to me as well as the overall frequency response.
Has anyone tried the vented option? Any suggested substantial changes at the design that should be made/simulated/tested?
Thanks!

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Aatto made a bass reflex version - I think he used SB29 woofer and DSP so design was totally different. But you can make it a bass reflex vented port for more bass extension. The group delay won’t be as tight and you can already put a plug in the port to experiment with it on/off. I don’t see any harm in doing so. Just keep the 10in baffle width and driver CTC spacing the same. Make the volume whatever you need to optimize the tuning.

Hi,
just want to share my progress on the ported design with RS225-8 + RS100-8. The net volume is about 27lt, with ports tuned to ~30Hz. Now I must wait for the last XO parts (the coils) that hopefully will come on Monday. I cannot wait to try them... Happy Xmas!
WhatsApp Image 2021-12-25 at 11.05.57.jpeg

I finished the floor standers and am listening to them now. Trans Siberian Orchestra playing Christmas music. They really do sound great. The RS 225s are still fairly new, only a couple of hours on them, so I'm looking forward to them as the break-in a bit more. I'm running a Fostex FE85. I think I'll eventually go with the 10f/8424, but they sure sound good as is.
Thanks for sharing X!

Merry Christmas to all!!!

Attachments

• PXL_20211225_153229290.jpg
    PXL_20211225_153229290.jpg
    498.9 KB · Views: 209
Reactions: 1 user
Nice work! Looks neat with a port beneath the RS100. What are you using for the rear chamber, a quart plastic soup container? You should cover it with sticky butyl auto sound dampening sheets. Noico etc.

Happy Xmas everyone !
Hi, the rear chamber is a 1.5lt plastic flower vase, with closed cell foam stuffing inside and 4 stripes of adhesive tar sheet outside. I've already used it for dampening purposes with good results, but I'm going to check its effectivness soon (I'm going to procure some Noico anyway).

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I finished the floor standers and am listening to them now. Trans Siberian Orchestra playing Christmas music. They really do sound great. The RS 225s are still fairly new, only a couple of hours on them, so I'm looking forward to them as the break-in a bit more. I'm running a Fostex FE85. I think I'll eventually go with the 10f/8424, but they sure sound good as is.
Thanks for sharing X!

Merry Christmas to all!!!
Awesome news! Those sound great with FE85 I bet. This speaker has a lot of possibilities with different brands of full range drivers. Allows some personalization of the sound signature. I think the PS95-8 is another good one, as is 3FE25-8, FR88EX, RS100-8, FF85WK, even a 2.5in one like TC7FD.
Thanks for sharing and merry Xmas!

Joined 2018
Paid Member
Wow they look super cool....well done.! I'm sorely tempted to try a similar approach. I love my Ref Monitors but they just lack a little something in my room. Maybe the added output from the port might help some reflections to 'liven' up the presentation a bit or I try the wave guided RST28F in place of my PS95s.

Wow they look super cool....well done.! I'm sorely tempted to try a similar approach. I love my Ref Monitors but they just lack a little something in my room. Maybe the added output from the port might help some reflections to 'liven' up the presentation a bit?
I like the extra bass extension a lot, but I had to carefully find the right amount of stuffing. With about 200 gr of polyester pe rspeaker they are now perfect for my room