100W Ultimate Fidelity Amplifier

No worries. My statement was more in response to another person's need to use my name to express how many amps he claims to have built. I really couldn't care less. I will ignore any further claims or opinions he has to offer.

I'm simply here to report on what I have actually experienced and to learn from honest people. Looking forward to Mile's next creation.

Blessings, Terry

No worries. My statement was more in response to another person's need to use my name to express how many amps he claims to have built. I really couldn't care less. I will ignore any further claims or opinions he has to offer.

I'm simply here to report on what I have actually experienced and to learn from honest people. Looking forward to Mile's next creation.

Blessings, Terry

Attachments

• thumbs-up-icon-blue-md.png
    thumbs-up-icon-blue-md.png
    6.1 KB · Views: 1,103
Now, I was bored today so I built a few more of the little SSR protection boards that use the MAC97a. I built a few before and struggled to get it to trip off with less than about 6vdc on the speaker out. Today I swapped the 4k7 resistors with 1k6 and now they will trip with less than +-3vdc. I also checked by playing very loud music through them to make sure that the AC output wouldn't trip them. So I just wanted to share for those who may have built them of are planning to.

Blessings, Terry

Hi Terry,
Could you point me to the post number of sch and layout for the SSR unit that you built? I got confused, as there are many revisions in my PC and not able to locate latest:D!.
reg
Prasi

I just want to state that this is not a competition for me. I couldn't care less how many amps someone else has built. I do this for my enjoyment and to learn. The fact that Mile is so generous as to provide so many different designs for us to build is a dream come true for a guy like me. OS and Valery are in the same league.

Now, I was bored today so I built a few more of the little SSR protection boards that use the MAC97a. I built a few before and struggled to get it to trip off with less than about 6vdc on the speaker out. Today I swapped the 4k7 resistors with 1k6 and now they will trip with less than +-3vdc. I also checked by playing very loud music through them to make sure that the AC output wouldn't trip them. So I just wanted to share for those who may have built them of are planning to.

Blessings, Terry
I hear hum when testing this protection board .
The hum stop when separate power supply used.
Is it ok using separate power supply?
The latest version posted by Mile but no one make a pcb;)
I will try to find this and report again.:)
It seems that i found it

Attachments

• APEX SST Protect f .JPG
    APEX SST Protect f .JPG
    267.6 KB · Views: 1,100
Last edited:
Have shrunk the board only slightly. There is a price break @ 5.0cmX5.0cm for some Fab houses. I can continue to try, I guess, but it's possible that it can't be done within the design assumptions. Other stuff: the 5X5 limitation is for production boards - the current design constraints are for home-brew PCBs. Alternatively, I was thinking of moving all of the big caps off of the board and wiring them in. That approach can be tested with the current design.

BF

benz2 gave me idea to fit FX8 into 50mm X 50mm pcb. 22uf decoupling capacitor used instead of 47uf. I don't have keltron 47uf/ 40v or 50v capacitor to measure all of my 47uf are 63v.

22uf capacitor used on layout has 6.5mm diameter.

Regards
Sonal Kunal

Attachments

• FX8.png
    FX8.png
    298.6 KB · Views: 2,176
Hi Terry,
Could you point me to the post number of sch and layout for the SSR unit that you built? I got confused, as there are many revisions in my PC and not able to locate latest:D!.
reg
Prasi

Hi Prasi,

It is in post 5592. I built three different layouts and they all work but my favorite one in in post #5597.

I hear hum when testing this protection board .
The hum stop when separate power supply used.
Is it ok using separate power supply?
The latest version posted by Mile but no one make a pcb
I will try to find this and report again.
It seems that i found it
Hi Thimios,

I had hum the first time I hooked one up but then I found that if I only hooked the ground up at the main ground lug and ran one wire from one side of the transformer's secondary it is hum free.

Hi Juan,

Yes, I have been using some of them. Thanks!

benz2 gave me idea to fit FX8 into 50mm X 50mm pcb. 22uf decoupling capacitor used instead of 47uf. I don't have keltron 47uf/ 40v or 50v capacitor to measure all of my 47uf are 63v.

22uf capacitor used on layout has 6.5mm diameter.

Regards
Sonal Kunal

Beautiful piece of work!. soild state amp in 50mmx50mm. One thing, Mr.Miles had told me to use heat sink for VAS( http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/soli...imate-fidelity-amplifier-618.html#post4605320 ). Will it be possible to fit a small To126 Heatsink on your PCB(like the one's Rick had used)?
reg
prasi

Attachments

• FX8 KACHHAP.jpg
    FX8 KACHHAP.jpg
    314.6 KB · Views: 1,210
Hi Thimios

I tested again and your are correct. There is no hum with only one channel connected but with both connected, I get a ground loop through the input ground. I will try some things and see if I can find a solution.

Hi Thimis,

After further testing I found that as long as I feed the ground on the SSR from the Star ground, there is no hum. Previously I had it hooked up to the ground lug on one of the channels. Feeding from the star solved it.

Terry,
i see that the 100pf above the BD140 & the C. of the BD140 on your new layout is NOT connected to the 1n4148 & 1k trimmer. is this an error.? Otherwise Looks Good.

Rick

Good catch, thanks. To be honest, I don't think the zeners and 1N4148s are necessary with the laterals. Built in to the devices.

Attachments

• FX8 KACHHAP.jpg
    FX8 KACHHAP.jpg
    312.1 KB · Views: 1,094
Last edited:
Hi Thimis,

After further testing I found that as long as I feed the ground on the SSR from the Star ground, there is no hum. Previously I had it hooked up to the ground lug on one of the channels. Feeding from the star solved it.
Hi Terry,my test was with one channel only and star ground as ground position.
Hum was clearly heard. Tested amplifier was Shaan PeeCeeBee.
I believe that a separate power supply is necessary. You can have the main power supply under control using an opto isolator.
Mile, can you modify the circuit in this way?:):)

Last edited: