Wilmslow Audio - Prestige platinum

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So my Wilmslow Prestiges are now cured. I have tweaked the standard crossovers slightly but the main improvements have been wrought in order of magnitude by:
1. Changing the standard WA capacitors for Jantzen cross caps
2. Swapping the WA inductors for Jantzen C Core and Air Core. Wimslow had installed 1 x 0.5mh and 1x 1mh in pace of 2 x 0.47mhs!
3. Swapping the series caps for Jantzen superior

They now sound amazing!

So was there nothing wrong with the crossover design in the end?
As I said all along. :eek:

juancho, your crossover looked basically alright to me. But you are right the mid should be positive polarity, and the tweeter negative. That's all.
This post was exactly on the money too, for this, the greatest saga since "Gone with the Wind". :D
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/210627-wilmslow-audio-prestige-platinum-72.html#post4326410

Ah well.

And how does the great know-it-all diyaudio.com community come out of it all? :rolleyes:

Well, you failed to fix KateandDad's £2500 dream speaker. In fact you "took it off his hands" for £500. And used a DSP solution on the goodish drivers instead of a passive crossover.

juancho's contribution was extremely interesting, and led to a solution, alas too late for KatieandDad. I'd consider tweeter phase a bit suck it and see, because it's hard to judge at the best of times by ear.

But there was a huge amount of misinformation in this thread, not least about the crossover frequencies.

82 pages that led nowhere really. Except a lot of ungracious slagging off in all directions IMO. For sure Wilmslow slipped up on the original speaker supplied to KatieandDad, though he could have helped himself more by being more exact in description of the fault and persevering more. Help was at hand. And the lesson is: NEVER, EVER, give up! :)

Dunno whether your nasty comments are directed at me system7. He sold it, I bought it.

As said from my first post I bought them to use active crossovers from the start. I don't know if your hostility towards me is some jealousy at getting a bargain on them or what. But in saying I 'failed to fix them' you have entirely misunderstood my intentions from the beginning.

I have two other systems with active crossovers, one using scan speak drivers throughout. I believe active is better for loads of reasons. If they had been fully built and fully working I would still have ripped out the crossovers and made them active as I said from my first post in this thread.

I beleive they are now working better than they ever could have with a passive crossover (see my measurements for the corrections required to freq responses of the drivers). Soon they will have new cabinets too.

With regards to the thread prior to me joining I can't comment as I was not involved. I did however feel like I was battling hostility perhaps carried over from earlier in the thread, particularly when I made it clear I didn't want to use passive crossovers.

In hindsight, I wish I had never posted on this thread. I only did to afford some measurements for people to see what was really wrong with the crossovers. There were mulitple offers to buy the speakers from pm and openly. I made sure he was certain a number of times before buying them.

I would finish by commenting that most of your comments recently have only added to the 'ungracious slagging off' of this thread.

It is a shame he didn't have the patience to make it work, he was at it for years. But I took it on, and completed the project in an entirely different and successful way using the knowledge and skills found here at diyaudio, is that not what this place is all about?

juancho's contribution was extremely interesting, and led to a solution, alas too late for KatieandDad. I'd consider tweeter phase a bit suck it and see, because it's hard to judge at the best of times by ear.

In retrospect i realised I had not done the tweeter phase reversal test with the correct, replaced, better and tighter toleranced components I had installed. I had only done the test with Wilmslow's poor caps and non matching inductors.

I can confirm it does sound better with the tweeter phase reversed with the better and correct components so Steve was right.........

The sound is more airy, natural and atmospheric. it now sounds right and more integrated
David

I can solder brilliantly, and work with metal but anything I touch that is wooden looks like it's been in the chain gun massacre.

Also life is in stasis at the moment and I don't have anywhere to make a real mess.

Well, if you can learn to use a router with a circle cutter you could use a pre-fab cabinet from Dayton.

Otherwise, I'm happy to recommend Taylor Speakers as a great place to get speaker cabinets, with several cabinets fitting kits from Madisound. I don't have any personal experience, but read good comments about kits from Selah Audio as well. I think they have some very high quality kits with ribbon tweeters that can be made in Dayton cabinets.

I would also consider your listening environment. 3 or more way speakers can be impressive to think about, but a high quality 2 way may sound better in your room.

In addition, if this is a learning experience for you, consider starting small and less expensive. If on the other hand this is a money saving exercise, there's lots of high quality 2 way kits, even with custom cabinets from Taylor, you'll still be well within your budget and be producing giant killers for cheap. :)

Best,

Erik

Last edited:
Hi,

I'm using the VM752 with a DSP (DLCP) and am very pleased with the end result. I'm glad that I bought the DSP this gave me the flexibility to play with cross over frequency and I could easily have a play with LR2 versus LR4.

Attachments

• 2016-12-30 17.51.55.png
    2016-12-30 17.51.55.png
    449.1 KB · Views: 306
  • 2016-11-13 09.31.08.jpg
    2016-11-13 09.31.08.jpg
    753.5 KB · Views: 300
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.