Wilmslow Audio - Prestige platinum

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Having never built a loudspeaker I would like to foray into this melee with a proven design - kit.

Has anyone had any experience of the Wilmslow Audio Prestige Platinum ?

PRESTIGE - Platinum

Attachments

• prestige-platinum-940-p.jpg
    prestige-platinum-940-p.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 4,320
Last edited:
KatieandDad, first speaker I ever built was built with my Dad and was from Wilmslow audio! But these were bookshelf two ways and it was 30 years ago.

Apart from Wilmslow IPL ( which I have also built ) are the only UK based firms I know, so if you think the Wilmslow kit fits your requirements, then go for it!

And have fun ( both of you ).

Cheers Nick

I have the Wilmsow K100 kit speakers which are based on the ATC SCM100. The cabinets are top quality, very nicely finished. I had ordered mine without xovers as I am running them active with ATC xover/amps.

For me it was worth it to pay a little extra and have Wilmslow deal with the assembly as I have neither the facilities nor the required tools.

Last edited:
Toppsy also does flat-paks in the UK... most are Frugel Horn Mk3s, something completely different from the Wilmslow 3-way

Apart from the FH3 flat pack kits I also do complete bespoke speaker builds.
KatieandDad If you want to see any of my builds send me a email or PM through this forum and I'll send you details. I can build you any speaker design (as long as plans are available) but I have a speaker 'The Edingdale' that I sell for a lot less money than the Wilmslow Audio offering and probably sounds better too! This speaker in direct A-B comparisons has thrashed a £7K Living Voice speaker and a £3K Yamaha speaker. Both owners of these commercial speakers now are proud owners of my Edingdales and have sold their commercial speakers.

Here is an image of my demo pair of speakers skinned in Cherry veneer.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

In a word NO. I am not aware of any my Edingdale speaker 'clients' have or had those speakers. All I can say is that all who have auditioned these speakers have placed an order for a pair. But that doesn't imply they suit everyone and may not be to everyones listening taste.

So I take it you are now very happy with your B&W speakers and are not looking for any new speakers or replacements?

However, if you are still considering those Wilmslow Audio speakers and wish to do a comparison between my Edingdales and the B&W 801's you are welcome to come over to my place with your speakers and amps. I live in Rossendale, Lancs just north of Manchester if that's reasonably near to you? I for one would certainly be interested in hearing the two side by side.

I'm not sure the efficiency of the B&W's but mine are 93dB and nominal 8-ohm load. They are therefore easily driven by 300b SET amps (5W output into 8-ohm) and the like. I also have a Nelson Pass F5 I use with my speakers.

Volt speakers? Never heard of those. Any good reviews about the Volt line?

Don't know of any reviews but PMC and Quested Audio (two of the most highly regarded manufacturers of studio monitors) use Volt woofers and their mid range unit. The Volt mid range looks VERY much like the famous ATC 3" dome but cost about 50% more.

Personally I use 12" Volt radial woofers and I cannot say a bad thing about them.

Volt Radial

Don't know of any reviews but PMC and Quested Audio (two of the most highly regarded manufacturers of studio monitors) use Volt woofers and their mid range unit. The Volt mid range looks VERY much like the famous ATC 3" dome but cost about 50% more.

Personally I use 12" Volt radial woofers and I cannot say a bad thing about them.

Can you give any details of how you use the Volt Radials? Which other drivers and the cabinet type?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.