MOSFET follower headphone amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Gordy,
Tell him to do another one with the Taylored input and create a bit more room inside and replace those 220uF electros with about 10 - 80uF of film cap (those Russian K73-16 63v ones are just fine here, just a bit big! - remarkable improvement in everything! [Maybe even try those Tant caps...]

.... and while he's in the mood, see about beefing up the power supplies - C multipliers are fine, but again replace/bipass the electros with film caps - Siemens also have some more reasonably sized ones known as B32524 (and are 334-883 in the R/S catalogue) - some of the PP film are a bit dull here (ie. passive Xover caps)

The cost of some of these is a bit of a surprise (hence the K73s) but maybe loan some caps to try.

Using Salas's basic Shunt Regs for this amp is another step up again and it'll be interesting to add the Cavalli valve buffer to the input, when it's finally finished (I like high quality valve "colour" in the sound!) - getting into never-never land now (bigger effort for smaller improvements), but this seems to be one of those simple ccts that are just right for what is required.

Yeah Patrick,
The smaller size caps are so much easier to manage - I actually prefer the sound of the Nichicon 100uF KZ to the Black Gates here (only tried the 100uf, 220uF F, K and 680uF NX ones)
I'm still avoiding the Oscons and Tantalums caps - a habit now.

What do these new miniature size surface mount caps sound like?

Thanks Patrick,

as I don't know too much about this stuff I have more (stupid) questions. ;)

Could the output impedance reduced further?
It looks like this thing needs a "beefy" power suppy. Does the follower also work with lower voltages, think of batteries, i.e. a scaled down version?

i built this one quite a few years ago, it worked fine, but in comparison to tube headphone amp it was nothing special
http://headwize.com/projects/showfile.php?file=szeke1_prj.htm

I built the updated design (using a three terminal adjustable voltage regulator (LM317T) as a constant current source). I used an off board 13.8v regulated PSU, and an Alps Blue 50k dual log/47k metal fim shunt resistor as a passive attenuator for the input source. It sounds surprisingly detailed and uncoloured.

Hola a todos!. Soy nuevo en este foro. Soy de Marcos Juárez, Córdoba, Argentina. Quiero compartir con ustedes un circuito de mi propiedad que diseñé hace un tiempo y que tiene un desempeño ejemplar. Es un buffer basado en mosfet (drain común) trabajando en clase A pura y es single ended. Puede desarrollar una potencia máxima de hasta 1,26 W rms sobre 6 ohmios. Actualmente lo utilizo conectado a la salida de un CD player con voltaje de salida de hasta 2V rms, con lo que logro potencias de hasta 0,66W rms sobre 6 ohmios. Dispongo toda sus especificaciones técnicas para quien desée construirlo.

Saludos y disculpen mi idioma.

Attachments

• 100_04912.jpg
    100_04912.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 1,498
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hello everyone!. I'm new to this forum. I'm Marcos Juárez, Córdoba, Argentina. I would like to share with you a circuit of my property that I designed some time ago and has an exemplary performance. It is a buffer based on mosfet (common drain) working in pure class and is single ended. You can develop a maximum power of up to 1.26 W rms on 6 ohms. Currently I use connected to the output of a CD player with output to 2V rms voltage, which accomplishment powers up 0, 66W rms on 6 ohms. I have all the technical specifications for whom wish build it.

Greetings and sorry for my language.

210766d1298241896t-mosfet-follower-headphone-amplifier-100_04912.jpg

Joined 2009
Paid Member
diego, english please

I translated your other post, with a note to post in english
maybe you did not read

I know your text is fine
but I cannot continue to translate all your posts

next non english post will be removed

:cop:
moderation

tinitus if you want when diego post in spanish send me a pm or e-mail & I will translate for the forum.

Cheers

Felipe

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.