Anybody using the new ESS Vout DAC (ES9022)? - Page 13 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th April 2011, 11:05 PM   #121
EUVL is offline EUVL  Europe
diyAudio Member

The ES9022 is a real steal.

Even if it were just on par with the ES9008, it is already tremendous value for money at 1/10 of the cost and complexity.
And we have here an example with no fancy power supplies, no discrete IV stage, no start-up P and cofiguration, ....

Those who have not try really don't know what they are missing.
You only need to order one (or GB a few) from a dealer, get a SOIC to DIP adapator PCB, 2x LiFePo4 batteries, an XO and off you go.

Patrick
Old 24th April 2011, 11:31 PM   #122
jkeny is offline jkeny  Ireland
Banned

I agree, Patrick but this has an in-built op-amp output, oh the horror & the specs are not stellar - so not enough scope for endless arguing about IV stages, power supplies, etc. On the other hand, for people that want to listen to great audio, sit back & enjoy their music collection, maybe this is just the ticket?

Have you listened to this DAC driving headphones directly? What's your evaluation?
Old 24th April 2011, 11:50 PM   #123
leo is offline leo  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Also currently playing about with the ES9022, thanks John,Patrick etc for getting the interest up to try one of these. Mines just basic tbh, soldered onto a small adapter board, all decoupling caps same value as in datasheet but Epcos MKT , supply ran from a single A123 battery. I2S and MCLK straight from modded QA550 (Tent XO fitted in QA550). Sound is bloody good for what it is, better than any of the old TDA1543 based NOS dacs I tried. I've tried all three Buffalo dacs but only have a modded BII here at the moment with Legato. Be fun comparing after I've tidied things up with the ES9022

You guys using the output filter same as in datasheet?
Old 25th April 2011, 01:06 AM   #124
Banned

Great, Leo, I knew you were trying this - last we spoke about it was on Rockgrotto in June last year. Yes, interested in your comparison with the Buffalo - let us know when you've compared the two.

I don't use any RF filter on the outputs!

PS you should also try running the Tent XO from a LiFePo4 battery

PPS. slightly disappointed in the inmates here - I sent out 5 of these ES9022 DACs mounted & working - free with some of my modified Hiface units & not one person has bothered posting about it!

Last edited by jkeny; 25th April 2011 at 01:12 AM.
Old 25th April 2011, 01:29 AM   #125
pidesd is offline pidesd  Canada
diyAudio Member

i got one of jkeny s unit and it thought it sounded very relaxed. But it s only when i ve seperated the supplies that it really shined. i also have acko s board but im having some noise issues with it. however i did noticed more detail than with jkeny s unit. the only difference is that acko s unit got a crytek XO.

i was planning to get an es9018 with the D1 but i m wondering if it s really worth it.

Last edited by pidesd; 25th April 2011 at 01:37 AM.
Old 25th April 2011, 01:35 AM   #126
Banned

Hi pidesd,
Thanks for the reply! You mean you have an Acko ES9022 board with on-board Crystek XO? Are you sure that detail is actually on the recording? I found that sound less relaxed & more digital when running the ES9022 in asynchronous mode which is what Acko's board is doing. I also think the Crystek XO on that board might be a mistake in other ways!

Maybe Patrick can say what he found was the sonic difference between asynch & synch clocking of the ES9022?

Pidesd, last we spoke was in January when I suggested some different configuration to the one you were using i.e battery without cap - did you try this?

Last edited by jkeny; 25th April 2011 at 01:43 AM.
Old 25th April 2011, 03:04 AM   #127
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeny View Post
Maybe Patrick can say what he found was the sonic difference between asynch & synch clocking of the ES9022?
For those interested in such arcane aspects of DAC design, here's a source which might carry a bit of weight:
http://www.resonessencelabs.com/invi...erGuideILB.pdf

On this company's website:
Our design engineers and Investors are industry audio experts at DAC and ADC design, and were front and center in the design of the ESS Audio DAC and ADC.

In that document (its long so I've extracted the relevant details) they say:

The clock (timing
source) is critical.
Although the Sabre
DAC has on-chip
re-synchronization
to its master clock,
higher performance
can be achieved by
controlling the
relative phase of the
system and the DAC
clocks.

Bear in mind they're talking here about the ESS9018, but I think the point is clear - sync is better, coming from the horse's mouth so to speak.
Old 25th April 2011, 03:10 AM   #128
Banned

Thanks Abrax,
Just shows you - never trust datasheets or evaluation boards as being the epitome of the best design for a device - no matter what anybody tells you
Old 25th April 2011, 04:59 AM   #129
pidesd is offline pidesd  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeny View Post
Hi pidesd,
Thanks for the reply! You mean you have an Acko ES9022 board with on-board Crystek XO? Are you sure that detail is actually on the recording?

using i.e battery without cap - did you try this?

i did not do a side by side comparison but i m pretty confident that the acko dac was better to my ears. i m suppose to receive the new es9023 dac from acko so ill compare again when i get it.

yes i ve tried batteries without caps and did not found any significant differences.
Old 25th April 2011, 05:54 AM   #130
EUVL is offline EUVL  Europe
diyAudio Member

I do use an output filter. Value is a matter of taste. Datasheet value is OK.
I do not use datasheet values for the other caps.

To use the QA550 with the ES9022 to the max, you should use a local clock to the 9022 at 45.1584MHz, divide by 4 using two FFs, and feed that 11.28MHz signal back to the QA550 (with TCXO removed). This is what jonners is currently using.

I can only repeat my statement :
Even if it were just on par with the ES9008, it is already tremendous value for money at 1/10 of the cost and complexity.

If I would bother with IVs, I would use R2R and not delta-sigma DACs, any day.

Hope many more will try this bargain chip for themselves.
Who cares about TDA1543 (yes, I have one here for the QA550 as well, as posted before).

QA-550 SD card 16/44.1 WAV transport

Patrick

Last edited by EUVL; 25th April 2011 at 05:57 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!