Anybody using the new ESS Vout DAC (ES9022)?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I got Euvl´s ES9022 board and had some listen. The sound is very wide band with very good extension in the bass and good extension in the treble. Tonal balance is neutral, this is no smoothed over candy sound and no fake "magic". Image focus is outstanding, so is depth perspective so micro detailing must be very good. What really surprised me is the bass performance especially considering that i used simple 9V blocks to supply it and there are no huge capacitors or regulators on this tiny boards. It goes as deep as i heard it, has slam and power and is precisely structured and rhythmic. After i had digested the first shock i was able to find small remaining problems, namely a little more artifice and less liquidity and naturalness then my 30.000,-€ Forsell rig. This are minor problems and may be solved by buffering the output. The Forsell also has one of my time domain buffers at the output. The Forsell alone without my buffer has a rather soft treble and compared to that the Euvl board is a huge bargain. I call that progress.

Thank you Joachim for the feedback.

We also agree that some form of LP filter like a discrete JFET Sallen Key filter at the output may improve the smoothness slightly.
But these are all very personal.

Glad you like our work.
FYI, Joachim had a ES9022-48MHz module with frequency divider to feed 12MHz to the WM8804 module with the same XO.
The two modules had 4x LT1761 regulators on board, close to the ICs. Identical to the one on the right in Post #219.

Patrick

Last edited:
A new batch of modules ready to go to their new owners.

On the left a standard asynchronous ES9022-50MHz with I2S input.
On the right a WM8804 SPDIF Receiver module, followed by a ES9022-48MHz, with the 1:4 frequency divider which feeds 12MHz to the WM8804 from the same XO as the DAC.

We got tired of etching PCBs, so we have some made for the ES9022.
The next batch of WM8804 will also get factory made PCBs.

Patrick

Are these available?

When you know what you want, and I have time, and you are prepared to wait for a few months, yes.

;)

I takes 4 hours to make and test one set like what Joachim has.
And I don't have much free time.

People have asked for boards. The effort to support those is too much.
And I doubt many can solder 0402 caps at the legs of a TSSOP package (of the WM8804).

So no boards. Sorry.

Patrick

When you know what you want, and I have time, and you are prepared to wait for a few months, yes.

;)

I takes 4 hours to make and test one set like what Joachim has.
And I don't have much free time.

People have asked for boards. The effort to support those is too much.
And I doubt many can solder 0402 caps at the legs of a TSSOP package (of the WM8804).

So no boards. Sorry.

Patrick

How do you solder those tiny little things without burning them up. How much would performance suffer with standard parts?

I would certainly not use an output transformer. It is expensive and clumsy so why make this very small to begin with ?
I have made good experiences with inductive filtering though. The inductor is in series with the signal and i found that more effective then putting a cap to ground that is parallel to the signal. I think it has to do with HF not letting go into the amplification chain. I am certainly not a fan of non oversampled DACs with a lot of aliasing noise.
That inductor is very small. I will make a photo with EUVLs board as size comparison.

Here is a size comparison. The coil is wound on Krupp audio material. We have quite some
cores in stock but that material is not made any more. I am searching for a substitute.

Attachments

• Coil ES9022 size comparison.jpg
    Coil ES9022 size comparison.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 808
I designed a little anti aliasing filter - buffer with inductor. It is a second order flat delay filter with -3dB @ 100kHz, - 12dB @ 200kHz. Group delay is 24usec lowering to 9usec @ 20kHz. Frequency response is down -0.2dB @ 20kHz. I assumed an output impedance of the ES9022 analog output as 20 Ohm. If that is not the case and the output impedance is zero Ohm because of internal feedback then a series resistor of 20 Ohm has to be added. Other wise the 68nF has virtually nothing to do. I use the LME49713 current feedback opamp.
It performs admirably. It is available in SMD but the metal can version sounds better.

Attachments

• ES9022 Filter 68nF 1,3mH 10kOhm 20dB resolution 1.pdf
    8.7 KB · Views: 244
  • ES9022 Filter 68nF 1,3mH 10kOhm 3dB resolution.pdf
    10.3 KB · Views: 120
  • ES9022 Filter Impulse Response.pdf
    6.3 KB · Views: 117
  • ES9022 Filter Group Delay.pdf
    8.8 KB · Views: 116
  • ES9022 Filter Phase Response.pdf
    9.5 KB · Views: 115
  • ES9022 HF Filter.TSC - TINA.pdf
    5.1 KB · Views: 214
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.