• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

VSSA Lateral MosFet Amplifier

Output bias tested, at room temp starts at 220 mA, 5 W dissipation (without heatsinks) heats the outputs to 90 deg at stable 240 mA bias. Looks promissing without the need of any tempco regulation. :yes:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    421.5 KB · Views: 652
The amps was singing yesterday night with 4 ohms KEF speakers. :D
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The background noise is very clean even stick to speakers hard to hear and seperation is very good with 2 smps. Overall sound is warm, details and musical. Soundstage is still tight especially on the high. I think this will be improved after more burn in. Thanks LC for this amp.

James :)

The amps was singing yesterday night with 4 ohms KEF speakers. :D
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The background noise is very clean even stick to speakers hard to hear and seperation is very good with 2 smps. Overall sound is warm, details and musical. Soundstage is still tight especially on the high. I think this will be improved after more burn in. Thanks LC for this amp.

James :)

Congratulations James :up:

You're one of the first complete VSSA builders, very nice case and as recommended with SMPS PSU. Yes, burn in period is funny since different elcos act very differently soundwise. All I can say enjoy in music. :cheers:

This VSSA official case is made out of the best Aluminum material possibly find around here because of the final brushing finish. All plates are fine brushed so the material needs to be very homogeneous. Plates thickness is 5 mm, they're pre-drilled with threads where needed and the case is adjusted to zero gap, plates tightly touches each other. :cool:

Regarding SQ (sound quality) I can tell that it is much better than my demo wooden "case" since the grounding is perfect so the lowest level signals are not lost in any kind of noise. No interferences from outside, all Aluminium material meaning no amplified magnetic fields formed in plate material. :cool:

Darn! Where can I get one of these cases?!

Nice one James! :D Congratulations for your success!
Is that a custom case?

Thanks metallicus69! :D
The case I order from China Taobao website through local agent.

Congratulations James :up:

You're one of the first complete VSSA builders, very nice case and as recommended with SMPS PSU. Yes, burn in period is funny since different elcos act very differently soundwise. All I can say enjoy in music. :cheers:

Thanks LC for your kind words! This is the amp let me start to enjoy in music ... :cheers:

James,

Is it only me or do I see a electrolytic capacitor (green in colour) in place of film cap?

Edit: ok, my bad. It is 2200uF, 6.3V cap. I see the film cap now.

Thanks

Yes, it is Matsushita 2200uF electrolytic cap.

Cheers,
James:)

One channel is not stable :( There was a noise in the speaker and I measured 0,5V DC on it. When I checked the channel it sometimes got 0,5V DC on the output (and correct input bias) and sometimes switched to 0mV on output and no input bias between TP1 and TP2 :( On second TPs there were about twice the input bias then. When it's 0,5V DC then both biases are ok. Gonna replace one VAS and see what's happening...

I intend using 200mm with 40mm fins (includes 9mm back- plate. Fins are well tapered and corrugated. What do you suggest is a safe minimum height. (I have 200mm each available, but can cut down. The box will be from 7mm alloy panels)
Hi Brian :wave:

Look for your's heatsink efficiency data of °K/W at height of 100 mm. Than calculate the height according to desired 0,5°K/W end result. ;)

Is a soft start advisable with Hypex dual mono PS?

NTC on each SMPS400A180 PCB has to be shorted. Than connect them according Soft Start schematic.

Sequence starts by powering the switch, inrush current controled by CL90 NTC, after 2,5 s relay shorts the NTC enabling live phase direct connection to both SMPS-s. :up:

Attachments

• VSSA SMPS400 Soft Start.jpg
    VSSA SMPS400 Soft Start.jpg
    343.6 KB · Views: 442