UGS adventures

joho said:

Hi cheff,

It's a long time ago on this forum isn't it?

Yes, for the moment i use 2 trimmers for the display. I forgot to order the integrated circuit. In fact when i put the contrast regulation almost to ground it looks good but you can see the square blocks behind the characters. So i add a negative supply to make the contrast regulation a little negative. But as i've sad, there is a very small "soft spot".

:D
B.t.w. i download you're latest software version for the optrex variant. When i turn the controller off there is some message in a strange language. What does it mean?

Gr.
Johan
Hi Johan,
Yes, long time :)

Can't comment on the white version of the Optrex, but for the blue one, the square blocks are still present. Very faint, but present. I "cured" the problem using a slightly smoked window filter in front of the display...

And the "off" message is gaelic indeed (thanks Manu), saying "What a pity ! Bye and see you soon" :D

BTW, very nice work, with fast soldering ;) Did you manage your way through the configuration menus? Is something unclear ?

Greets

CheffDeGaar said:

Hi Johan,
Yes, long time :)

Can't comment on the white version of the Optrex, but for the blue one, the square blocks are still present. Very faint, but present. I "cured" the problem using a slightly smoked window filter in front of the display...

And the "off" message is gaelic indeed (thanks Manu), saying "What a pity ! Bye and see you soon" :D

BTW, very nice work, with fast soldering ;) Did you manage your way through the configuration menus? Is something unclear ?

Greets

Hi cheff,

Gaelic for someone from France? or has it something to do with Asterix,Obelix and...Idefix???
As you said, the blocks are faint. Good idea such an extra optic filter. I need some extra protection. Ordered at Farnell?

I saw the configuration menu's but didn't play with it. First i must mount the ir receiver and i'm not sure about the pin arangement
. The datasheet doesn't show pin one. So i must check your fotographs first.

Hi Manu,

I think you're right with that positive or negathive mode but i ordered the display at RS with your number as showed below.

"Salut,

j'ai pris le mien chez rs (ref 620-4400) lettres noires sur fond blanc - looks

optrex lcd C 51505NFQJ-LW-ALN "

So you should have the same one.

Gr.
Johan

joho said:
Hi cheff,

Gaelic for someone from France? or has it something to do with Asterix,Obelix and...Idefix???
Just wrong birthplace :D

As you said, the blocks are faint. Good idea such an extra optic filter. I need some extra protection. Ordered at Farnell?

Yes : http://fr.farnell.com/177145/optoelectronique/product.us0?sku=visualux-2711xg-1-0

I saw the configuration menu's but didn't play with it. First i must mount the ir receiver and i'm not sure about the pin arangement
. The datasheet doesn't show pin one. So i must check your fotographs first.

Look here, it should help (if it's a TSOP2236) :
http://psykok.homelinux.org/diy/preamp_ugs/Atours/Cablage.pdf

Cheers

Manu said:

C'est dingue, les dutchies parlent tous français... :)

Manu,

The Netherlands is a very international(and multi cultural) country.
At school we must learn Dutch,English,German and French for 3-4 years minimum. Depends a bit which type of education.
:smash:

Cheff,

Thanx for the info. Sometimes life can be so easy!

It's a wonderfull project. thanx a lot.
:)

Johan

joho said:

Manu,

The Netherlands is a very international(and multi cultural) country.
At school we must learn Dutch,English,German and French for 3-4 years minimum. Depends a bit which type of education.
:smash:
Johan

Thats great.
Unfortunately in France one only learns Frutch, frenglish, frallmand ....
:D

Did you get my pm about display ?

Manu

Attachments

• ugs0011_new.jpg
    ugs0011_new.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 1,192
Hepl with BOM and Group Buy

Hello Chaps,

My brain is really starting to hurt on this uC board. I am still trying to get together a BOM for the whole project, because there appears to be some omissions and changes in Cheffs Menu of the Courses, and I have to get this right because nearly everything I need will come by mail to my little town, and anything I forget to order will cost unnecessary postage and packing charges for extra orders.

Could someone please photograph the top and bottom of the uC board with the connectors in place but WITHOUT the LCD in place so I can see what sort of connectors I need. All the photos I have found have the LCD screen attached, and there are no pictures of the bottom of the board ... where all the connectors are. For example, I have the Group Buy board with an ?extra? LCD connector along the top edge 1 row of 16 holes, and I am not sure which connectors go into all the other "connector" pads.

Also:

1. Is the AD8402AR10 needed for both types of LCD display?
2. Are the button switches momentary or on/off? Do I need 6 or 10 for the whole project?
3. Do we need 20 or 12 of "100nf ceram 805 Farnell 9406387"?
4. The BOM lists 10 * J113. Are they now 4 * 2N5461 for the power supply only?

(And I just saw the SMD capacitors - more of the little horrors! :eek: )

With thanks,
George.

1. Yes
2. Momentary, Farnell ref 9471685 and 6 pieces for the board. For the "on-off" main switch you can take the same so 7 for the full UGS. :clown: Otherwise buy only 6 and another very nice momentary "NO" switch to switch on you jewel.
3. 12
4. yes, 4 pieces but NOT FAIRCHILD !!!! The On-Semi are SDG and the Fairchild are DSG so not pin compatible... But as Cheff said, if you cannot find these Jfet, put a 10k resistor !;) I just have to find where to put these resistor...:cool:

Cheers !:D