UGS adventures

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Manu said:
For more beautiful pics (actualy refering to the old UGS GB but still very usefull as there are only minor changes in the new (Vmoreau's) one)

see Maousse's official UGS building thread here :

http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=171033794#p171033794

Manu
Please, about the french thread, my photos are early photos, and although I tried to keep trace of all the possible errors, some pictures are false (like the picture of the sub-bypass card, that is pictured reversed), because those were for modules I do not use. The explanations in french tell it all, but you have to read french.

There will be another french thread with the new PCB batch and pictures. If you are in a hurry, my first french thread is quite acurate, but take the time to translate my words.

Sorry I do not have the time nor to redo a full walkthough in english, nor to make some other pictures (that would mean building another UGS :p )

PS : forgot : bisou Jacco :clown:

Hi Manu

Need your help here on the LCD display. Crystalfontz LCD displayers have two versions. The old one is based on the Sunplus controller SPLC780D. The new one is based on the Sitronix controller ST7066U.

The main differences between the two versions are the wait time for display instructions and voltage range.

Which version will work best here?

Thanks.

-finney

Hello !

I hope everybody is working hard and having fun with the UGS PCBs, crowling in the maze of UGS adventures
(but it sounds like going well with all the advices of the experimented UGS guys from all over the world, especially in France....)

Would there be a very kind DIYAUDIOer to help me for supplying 2 x Crystalfontz displays ? (the above reference is perfect !)
They are the only parts I'm missing to build my preamps, and are not distributed in France (as far as I know)

I would pay with paypal.
Please send me a PM !

Cheers.

Vincent

(just hoping my request is not out of topic !)

My first reaction when I see all of the pcbs is " Oh no, this will be a nightmare project." It turn out to be a fun project. Soldering smd part is much more fun than I expected. With search from google, a little bit of maditation and just do it, it turn out to a good success. The hardest part (for me) is to acquire all of the parts.

This is what I got so far, power supply, main boards, UGS modules, program module. I am still working on microcontroller board; missing a few parts. I hope the lcd module that I bought can work. The datasheet say it pin compatible and the command seem to be the same.

And I just notice that my notebook don't have parallel port. :headbash: :headbash:

Do any one has the dimension of the real panal. It will be difficult to just measure it and drill.

Attachments

• img_0461.jpg
    img_0461.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 1,301
Many Many thanks Finney!
Indeed I would prefer the Large version if you can.

For the UGS rear panel, Maousse has organised a GB on the French forum this spring, I have asked him the CAD files : I guess this could be very helpfull.

The rear panel has been designes to fit an HIFI2000 case
http://www.hifi2000.it/default.asp?id=102&mnu=102
(model 2U, depth 400mm), but I'm not sure you can find them in the US.
I'll post the file asap.

Cheers

Hello WT

glad to see your pics !

For the //port, you can try to buy an USB to //port converter (few bucks on ebay), however I'm not sure it will work with the programmer. My only experience is with an old HP printer and it works fine.

Missing parts are the daily pain of the common diyer.... Apart from GBs (which is an "infinite" task to organize for the all inclusive, especially worldwide !!), It's also a kind of pleasure to glean some informations here and there and to arrange with other for rare parts or ref changes. (I admit this is also a kind of minor masochism...)

Cheers

Vincent

Joined 2006
Paid Member
help testing first display

tested my first UGS display yesterday ( doing the Slim version with optrex display first before building the tall one ) ....got that sinking feeling that maybe all is not well with the PIC.

Here are some pictures of what i get:

The Standby/on switches and led brightness change is ok.
Select inputs is ok
IR ...have no idea, what remote should be used ?
Volume rotary encoder....nada!...no reaction.
Initial startup is quite long...but no Thanks Nelson Message...in fact no message, goes straight to last selected input.

How do i navigate user preferences menu to adjust...it does save new settings but these are always the same old ones because i cannot adjust anything:(

By the way...this is the latest firmware: ver 1.10

Attachments

• collective copy.jpg
    collective copy.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 1,149
Hi CV,
I've exactly the same hardware. Perfectly working...

Got the right software (ATmega64/V1.10/Optrex) ?
Checked and set the µC fuse bits as described here (page 3) ?

Remote is RC5 only. System address and codes have to be learnt first.
"Menu" button enters the configuration mode, "Bypass" button to escape this mode (one level up)
Navigation through menus is only possible with the encoder active.
So get it working (volume control) before "menuing".

vmoreau said:
Many Many thanks Finney!
Indeed I would prefer the Large version if you can.

For the UGS rear panel, Maousse has organised a GB on the French forum this spring, I have asked him the CAD files : I guess this could be very helpfull.

The rear panel has been designes to fit an HIFI2000 case
http://www.hifi2000.it/default.asp?id=102&mnu=102
(model 2U, depth 400mm), but I'm not sure you can find them in the US.
I'll post the file asap.

Cheers

Ah, little rectification, the depth of the enclosure we need is only 250mm, fairly enough to hold all the hardware, with powersupply external, as designed.
Some folks wanted to put the power supply internal, so they bought a 400mm depth enclosure.