TPA3116D2 Amp

When only hiss, it is gain I guess. Hiss, rattle and hum combined it is lack of shield:) (as experienced with cheap cinch to digital DVR for television set with YJblueblack, "audiobah" I just tried and is a little less loud, but also less gain, both 20dB setting gainresistors tpa3116) TI advises 47nF to gnd and 100R in series on signal in a reference design, "audiobah" uses 47nF and 10k to ground and 1k in series with inputsignal I think. Could try it if you don't already have something like that. EMI I can't compare, but inputsignaltraces YJblue I feel might be to blame.

More humble modifications to my smsl SA-36A PRO TPA3118 powered with an AMB sigma-11 @ 18V.

Did the 2x OSCONs last week. Today it got 8x Panasonic FM 820uF (10x25mm). Fit beautifully in the case with ~5mm clearance at the top. The stock 470uF are shown for comparison. Sounds fine - need more listening time to say more. I suspect that with a really capable PS these capacitor changes make less difference, but I'll take whatever I can get.

Cheap thrills!

edit: Almost forgot to add...very minor turn-off thump stayed about the same over these last two upgrades, maybe a little less after the FMs.

BK

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
More humble modifications to my smsl SA-36A PRO TPA3118 powered with an AMB sigma-11 @ 18V.

Did the 2x OSCONs last week. Today it got 8x Panasonic FM 820uF (10x25mm). Fit beautifully in the case with ~5mm clearance at the top. The stock 470uF are shown for comparison. Sounds fine - need more listening time to say more. I suspect that with a really capable PS these capacitor changes make less difference, but I'll take whatever I can get.

Definitely very nice with the new FMs. Something was a bit "off" after installing the OSCONs. Very sweet now and in a good place. Thanks to rhing for the inspiration!

BK

Destroyer OS, are you going to design a pcb from scratch? If so, do you think its possible to use trough hole so you could put input caps and bootstraps caps on the underside, close to the chip? My experience is that it eliminates a lot of noise. On my best sounding tpa's I use smd film caps which could easily fit on the underside of the pcb.. Putting some of the traces underneath would allow wider pcb traces to output and psu, keeping resistances to a minimum.

Perfectly fair in my opinion - these boards with full mods and quality power supply are able to beat amps in that price bracket in terms of SQ. Of course its not simply a $15-30 board by that stage!

Agreed. I am listening to my modified YJ amp playing Henryk Gorecki's Symphony No. 3 performed ny soprano Dawn Upshaw and the London Sinfonietta conducted by David Zinman. This can be a system killer with Ms. Upshaw's vocal range, the string polyphony and the deep-rooted bass notes, yet the amp solidly holds it's place and conveys the emotions of a Polish mother grieving over the loss of her son in war.

Perfectly fair in my opinion - these boards with full mods and quality power supply are able to beat amps in that price bracket in terms of SQ. Of course its not simply a $15-30 board by that stage!
I was more referring to Jean-Paul's complaints in this post
But hey if you say it's fair, then sure yes - it is. Once you spend days even months on modifications, extra $$$$ for better parts-caps, inductors, chassis, linear power supply,.. and at the end come close to the price of that DDA or whichever well made finished amp.
All that excluding labor, hours or el. power spent on soldering, light and internet costs, of course :D

Last edited:
I was more referring to Jean-Paul's complaints in this post
But hey if you say it's fair, then sure yes - it is. Once you spend days even months on modifications, extra $$$$ for better parts-caps, inductors, chassis, linear power supply,.. and at the end come close to the price of that DDA or whichever well made finished amp.
All that excluding labor, hours or el. power spent on soldering and light, of course :D

Sorry to disagree but I have compared to 2 high quality amps I have built in the past costing 4 or 5 times the cost of a fully moded TPA3116 and taken far more hours to build. The TPA amp beats them both. In my opinion these TPA3116 amps would never come close in cost to a commercial amp of comparable sound quality.

But what I am really saying is don't let the low cost make you think these amps don't cut it with the competition even in much higher price brackets.

Sorry to disagree but I have compared to 2 high quality amps I have built in the past costing 4 or 5 times the cost of a fully moded TPA3116 and taken far more hours to build. The TPA amp beats them both. In my opinion these TPA3116 amps would never come close in cost to a commercial amp of comparable sound quality.

But what I am really saying is don't let the low cost make you think these amps don't cut it with the competition even in much higher price brackets.
I never said that. I have my YJ black modified at the cost of about $5 for two Dc caps, gratis samples of Coilcraft inductors, $15 for power supply + few $$ for connectors, box, and that's it (labor excluded :D )! It is my main amplifier now! Sounds great, so much that I'm thinking what to do with the rest of my three tube amps.
Hope it's clearer now ;)

I am like two mods behind some of you, esp. since people are now using input transformers. I want to try the snubber mod next but had zoned out when most of that discussion was going on. Is there a chance that someone can update the Wiki to show the list of parts and links to those great pictures people posted of the mod?

I am like two mods behind some of you, esp. since people are now using input transformers. I want to try the snubber mod next but had zoned out when most of that discussion was going on. Is there a chance that someone can update the Wiki to show the list of parts and links to those great pictures people posted of the mod?

See TI 3116evm, 330pF and 10R.