TPA3116D2 Amp

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Regarding prefilter snubber, bootstrap snubber. Can somebody tell me how it sounds different and which ampboard they added the snubber?

I did this for the YJ Danzz board as shown in the orginal post describing this mod. The sound quality description is there but I will repeat the essentials here: the sibilance on certain vocals is improved, but most notably, complex percussion like many piano key strikes at once in a crescendo are now resolvable whereas prior, the notes all became for lack of a better word, mushed together, indistinct. I have also done this mod on the Ybdz using SMT parts and found similar improvements, but it was a more noticeable improvement on YJ Danzz board. In recent listening tests using a 108dB sensitive tractrix horn loaded fullrange, I could really resolve vocal microdetails, background sounds (inadvertently recorded) like chairs shifting, footsteps across stage, people talking very softly in the background, etc. This amp with the right speaker will show these type of flaws in recordings. Note that I thought speaker hiss/noise would be a problem with such a sensitive setup but the Ybdz with 26dB proved to be very good in this respect with the snubber and OSCON mods. It can also get crazy loud but clean with just a 19 volt supply.

My prefilter snubber

I did not like the prefilter snubber mod on my blue/black amp so I had it taken off. This is a picture of the parts I was using. Maybe it was a wrong parts selection ?

Attachments

• pre_filter_snubber.jpg
    pre_filter_snubber.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 792
OK YJblue/Danzz board after replacing snubber resistors for 3.3 ohm has better dynamics, that is first thing I noticed. Highs, treble is louder has a bit more bite but is cleaner, easier maybe. Bass has bit more punch, vocals seem cleaner too, easier to hear what lyrics are.

Still the original inductors on my board, and they are at least 10 degrees cooler now after 12 hours power but no signal. Maybe the higher value YJ used is ok for higher impedance speakers, and just too high for my speakers ???

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I did not like the prefilter snubber mod on my blue/black amp so I had it taken off. This is a picture of the parts I was using. Maybe it was a wrong parts selection ?

Parts look good, although are you using wire wound resistors? Those will change inductance of main filter. I use thin film resistors. Also make sure you connect the caps to the correct pins on the bottom side. What about the sound did you not like?

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
OK YJblue/Danzz board after replacing snubber resistors for 3.3 ohm has better dynamics, that is first thing I noticed. Highs, treble is louder has a bit more bite but is cleaner, easier maybe. Bass has bit more punch, vocals seem cleaner too, easier to hear what lyrics are.

Still the original inductors on my board, and they are at least 10 degrees cooler now after 12 hours power but no signal. Maybe the higher value YJ used is ok for higher impedance speakers, and just too high for my speakers ???

What were the resistors that were originally there? It means this value absorbs the RF better and has less reflections which go back into inductor and cause it to heat up. I wonder if this is why YJ board inductors have been running hot all along?

Parts look good, although are you using wire wound resistors? Those will change inductance of main filter. I use thin film resistors. Also make sure you connect the caps to the correct pins on the bottom side. What about the sound did you not like?

I was sure I connected them to the right pins of the caps on the bottom side, I read the pictures posted and verified on the board. Those 10R resistors were what I had on hands, I know they were not film but I don't think they are wire wound.

Anyway, few pages ago, I shared my experience with this mod that it seemed to have reduced the overall volume and over-tamed the sound. Maybe I'll get some films resistors and try again.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I was sure I connected them to the right pins of the caps on the bottom side, I read the pictures posted and verified on the board. Those 10R resistors were what I had on hands, I know they were not film but I don't think they are wire wound.

Anyway, few pages ago, I shared my experience with this mod that it seemed to have reduced the overall volume and over-tamed the sound. Maybe I'll get some films resistors and try again.

After installation check resistance to make sure you did not accidentally short to ground (scratched thru varnish). This happened on mine and I gif reduces volume and degraded sound quality too.

Hi irribeo,
Are you referring to the 330pf +10r snubber resustor?

I have experienced a slight reduction in volume since installing the bootstrap snubber mods too, but all I do is turn the stepped attenuator on my line stage preamp one more notch. The benefits of the improved sound far outweigh the slight decrease in volume.

I sometimes use Remebering Shakti's "Saturday Night in Bombay" as a reference recording because it has so many dynamic passages, and captures the interplay and timing between the musicians so well. I haven't heard any problems with reproduction of the transients, the space around the musicians and the natural reverb of the live performance.

image.jpg

I had a blue/black board blow up a tracing on the ground, just before capacitor....

I can't tell if something touched something, like the ground incoming to an inductor, or if it's related to something else. The boost buck converter went dead at the same time, perhaps current over draw....

It doesn't seem they fail to often though?

I haven't found a good schematic that makes me fully understand the snubber mod yet. I have done all mods except the input transformer mod and the snubber mod. I am still not really pleased with the sound. It is sort of metallic and blunt. I am looking forward to compare it to the passlabs camp amp.

REQUEST: Snubber mod by someone who is good at MS paint.

I haven't found a good schematic that makes me fully understand the snubber mod yet. I have done all mods except the input transformer mod and the snubber mod. I am still not really pleased with the sound. It is sort of metallic and blunt. I am looking forward to compare it to the passlabs camp amp.

REQUEST: Snubber mod by someone who is good at MS paint.
Post 3689 for circuit diagram, post 4484 for pic of mod using SMD on the YJ/blue/black board. There are other pics for non SMD mods.

Rhing,

This is on CD or Vinyl?

CD, but I am looking for this album on vinyl too.

I had a blue/black board blow up a tracing on the ground, just before capacitor....

I can't tell if something touched something, like the ground incoming to an inductor, or if it's related to something else. The boost buck converter went dead at the same time, perhaps current over draw....

It doesn't seem they fail to often though?

Can you provide a photo or show exactly where on the amp, the trace was damaged?

Hi,
I just ordered the TPA3116, red board with volume control.
Now I need to find some kind of PS.
Will this one be ok or is it overkill? It costs some five times the amp:p LPP-100-24 Mean Well | Mouser
What do you guys use to power these amps?

You might want to consider this Mean Well SMPS instead:

http://eu.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Mean-Well/RS-150-24/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtmGYmamoNbnDUoCtu%2b7vNX

The Mean Well RS-150 series SMPS offer a reasonably good cost-performance ratio. Personally, I use an Astron RS-12A regulated linear power supply that is widely used by HAM radio operators in the US. I am not sure what similar linear regulated power supplies are available in Europe. Others have used Astron and similar linear regulated power supplies and have had great results.

Last edited: