TPA3116D2 Amp

I am like two mods behind some of you, esp. since people are now using input transformers. I want to try the snubber mod next but had zoned out when most of that discussion was going on. Is there a chance that someone can update the Wiki to show the list of parts and links to those great pictures people posted of the mod?

I have this in my personal notes (that I will some day get around to adding to the Wiki): post #3823 by xrk971 on July 13, 2014 has both the TI eval board circuit and pics of his own implementation of the snubber mod.

Note: exact-post URLs are a little tricky on this forum, because users can adjust how many posts they see per page. I have my settings set to the max (50 per page I believe) where the default is IIRC 10 per page. In my view, this entire thread is only 93 pages long, whereas it's significantly more pages to someone using different post-per-page settings. In short, you may have to track down that post by date and/or post number.

I just received a couple of these little guys. So far I have compared them to the stock YJ red board. I would say they are a pretty good upgrade. :)
Has anyone tried OSCON caps on this board?

Attachments

• $_57.JPG
    $_57.JPG
    91.5 KB · Views: 692
Prezen, I have that amp board. I have done a mini review on this board some pages back with pictures! The original caps are too far from the chip so upgrading them helps only a little. I put in better alu caps which helped to some extent. I suggest you take off the cooler fin and solder oscons directly onto/close to the chip to get true dynamics. Afterwords you could shorten the with of the cooler and glue it back on. I really love the mute function and the good output filter:)

Prezen, I have that amp board. I have done a mini review on this board some pages back with pictures! The original caps are too far from the chip so upgrading them helps only a little. I put in better alu caps which helped to some extent. I suggest you take off the cooler fin and solder oscons directly onto/close to the chip to get true dynamics. Afterwords you could shorten the with of the cooler and glue it back on. I really love the mute function and the good output filter:)

I just read your post. That is a fantastic (and advanced looking) mod!

I think this amp really is a bargain and is easy to modify. I changed out the 10 DC power caps on the left side and replaced them with 470uF 35V Panasonic FM caps, I found it made a difference in clarity and noise reduction.

I tore out a trace on one of the little caps between the heatsink and the red WIMA input caps at the front, and i found it difficult to route around it so I gave up and went to work on other things in the meantime.

Romania has Elfa Distrelec, shipping must be checked but for me small order shipping is around 6 euro, sent from Elfa Sweden warehouse.

(re Ebay: first link #4644 It-tronics SMD cap. Print on this cap is exactly what impuls's 2004 Panasonic FK print should look like according to Panasonic 2004 FK datasheet. Not the letters, but the layout. The linked FK3300 ebay link, and impuls's foto's show a FK3300 looking like Panasonic 2014 FK datasheet, but text says produced 2004. In itself 2004 tells you the FK electrolytic-cap has been shelfed for 90.000 hours, and not to expect datasheet values when measured.)

Regarding prefilter snubber, bootstrap snubber. Can somebody tell me how it sounds different and which ampboard they added the snubber?

I have done the snubber mod to 3 blue/black boards. Unfortunately I made other changes at the same time so cannot say if this was the snubber mod specifically. The other mod was changing the LC filter to values reflecting the speaker impedance.

Anyway the mod appeared to improve the mid/high frequencies in particular, sounded more refined, less grainy.

Do they have normal shipping prices to Serbia? Officially still outside EU I think, that might be problem for shippingscales?

V package is a little different, leadwires are flat and 0.8mm (vs 0.6mm), the hybrids only come like that I believe, haven't had problem mounting them through hole, but when holes aren't clean that could be harder. Had them on YJblue and Sure3110 and Hiampmini without problems.

I have done the snubber mod to 3 blue/black boards. Unfortunately I made other changes at the same time so cannot say if this was the snubber mod specifically. The other mod was changing the LC filter to values reflecting the speaker impedance.

Anyway the mod appeared to improve the mid/high frequencies in particular, sounded more refined, less grainy.

Thxs. I ask because I replaced resistor on output snubber YJblue for 3.3 ohm and wondered if that gave similar result. Others with observations about how sound changed using the prefilter snubber or from changing the outputsnubber resistor into datasheet value??

Thxs. I ask because I replaced resistor on output snubber YJblue for 3.3 ohm and wondered if that gave similar result. Others with observations about how sound changed using the prefilter snubber or from changing the outputsnubber resistor into datasheet value??

You mean the original on the YJ/blue board is not 3.3ohm?

Just looked at a YBDZ board - they definitely are 3.3R.

Last edited:

How about solder the oscon cap on those 2 104 SMD caps?