TPA3116D2 Amp

I followed rhing's lead and built a brand new YJ Blk/Blu board up today using input transformers and poulated the board with Bourns inductors, Oscons, TDK X7R bootstraps, ERO .68uf, the snubber mod, etc…
The Jensens made a huge improvement. Everything is new so it’ll need some breaking in but input transformers are an excellent edition for those who are (like rhing mentioned) using these to replace more expensive amps in a main system.

Next weekend I’ll try a set of transformers on the Sure TPA3116 and see how the two compare. There’s still something really good going on with the Sure that might have something to do with why it runs so hot and needs the massive heatsink.

For what it’s worth rhing, while using the Sure 3116, I turned my variable linear ps down to 13V to mimic the 12V Astron and there’s a very noticeable hit in performance and flatening of the soundstage (at least in my setup) and it runs very cool at this voltage. Whatever Sure is doing in implementing this chip, it really comes alive at around 21-23V when things are cooking and the better the power supply, the better it sounds at these higher voltages. Food for thought if nothing else.

Attachments

• YJ-blk-blu-with Jensens 140824-001.jpg
    YJ-blk-blu-with Jensens 140824-001.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 672
  • YJ-blk-blu-with Jensens 140824-002.jpg
    YJ-blk-blu-with Jensens 140824-002.jpg
    248.6 KB · Views: 873
Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
434893d1408938400-tpa3116d2-amp-yj-blk-blu-jensens-140824-002.jpg

KJA,
That rig of yours is The Bomb! Sweet... :D Those Jensen's are extremely compact. What do those beauties cost?

I never realized that the Sure's run hot on 21v... That is odd and makes me wonder what they are doing - maybe they are running the 1.2MHz carrier switching frequency. This would maybe make the heat go up? This would explain why smaller size inductors work well. Has anyone checked the switching freq setup on the pins of the Sure?

This might explain why it sounds better - the carrier freq is FAR removed from 41 kHz vs 400kHz...

Last edited:
I followed rhing's lead and built a brand new YJ Blk/Blu board up today using input transformers and poulated the board with Bourns inductors, Oscons, TDK X7R bootstraps, ERO .68uf, the snubber mod, etc…
The Jensens made a huge improvement. Everything is new so it’ll need some breaking in but input transformers are an excellent edition for those who are (like rhing mentioned) using these to replace more expensive amps in a main system.

Next weekend I’ll try a set of transformers on the Sure TPA3116 and see how the two compare. There’s still something really good going on with the Sure that might have something to do with why it runs so hot and needs the massive heatsink.

For what it’s worth rhing, while using the Sure 3116, I turned my variable linear ps down to 13V to mimic the 12V Astron and there’s a very noticeable hit in performance and flatening of the soundstage (at least in my setup) and it runs very cool at this voltage. Whatever Sure is doing in implementing this chip, it really comes alive at around 21-23V when things are cooking and the better the power supply, the better it sounds at these higher voltages. Food for thought if nothing else.

Very nice work! It definitely looks cleaner than my Frankenstein amp.

As for the Sure TPA3116 amp, you may be right that the Sure likes the higher voltage. All I have is the Astron RS-12A and a couple SMPSes.

KJA,
That rig of yours is The Bomb! Sweet... :D Those Jensen's are extremely compact. What do those beauties cost?

It's been a while, but I think they were around $65 a piece.... not cheap, but they do sound excellent.

Very nice work! It definitely looks cleaner than my Frankenstein amp.

rhing, I think your amps always look super clean. You made the Coilcrafts look like they totally belong on that board.

As for the Sure TPA3116 amp, you may be right that the Sure likes the higher voltage. All I have is the Astron RS-12A and a couple SMPSes.

I think XRK971 may be on to something about Sure's implementation. Something's different, that's for sure. I've had 3116s running sinkless for a long time and they never got above luke warm. This new Sure has a massive, heavy heatsink and stays toasty.

Upgraded power supply

In the weekend I finished a new power supply using circuit and component recommendation supplied by Destroyer OS. Cost around $70 for parts plus torroid trafo (120va 15v). This is unregulated, resulting voltage is 21v.

This was built for a friends 3116 that I have moded with the usual mods, I did a comparison against my 3116 (almost same mods) which has the same toroid trafo but straight rectifier/cap and LM338 regulator supply, this was the amp the we considered the best in our amp comparison of a week ago.

I used my smaller Frugel Horn speakers with Mark Audio Aplair 7.3. The new PS added another level of refinement especially in the mids and upper frequencies. Detail and clarity without sounding harsh in any way, this PS works really well and definitely worth the cost. I continue to be amazed at the improvements each mod brings and what we are getting from this little chip. The smaller Alpair has incredible detail and air when the amplifier is up to it.

Attachments

• TPA3116.jpg
    TPA3116.jpg
    987.7 KB · Views: 1,107
Last edited:
In my experience a poor constructed tpa3116 with cheap bootstraps and bad psu caps have a tendancy for sounding different/congested at high voltages or when driven hard. A modded amp always sounds the same and runs cool/luke warm.
For psu use I recommend using cheap Panasonic FK 3300uF since they can be had cheap from eBay, and have really low esr in this large value. I have 2 in my amp and they improve the dc ripple from the psu considerably.

I have bought a lot of good components from this german eBayer and he's a lot cheaper. If I read your link right its 7 usd each and my link its 2 usd! He has super fast delivery and he often combine shipping. I prefer buying everything through ebay since its so easy and quick. 10x SMD Elko Kondensator 3300?F 25V 105°C 1EEVFK1E332M 3300uF | eBay

If your not in Norway maybe another official distributor is something to keep in mind. Your ebay-link tells me they sell this part for 0.64, Digikey and Elfa sell it for 2.56, in my currency. That would worry me a little :)

(prices at Digikey and Elfa also exclude VAT, for me 21%, so 0.64 versus 3.10 for same FK)

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Source switched off, amp powered on and then it generates much noise. Too much for me, I have a few of them and they all have the same behavior but I stopped messing with them as my DDA-100 arrrived. I thought it would be nice to try out the newer versions if they behave better.

The YJ blue board also generates much EMI, so much that my DAB+ tuner stopped receiving DAB+ signals. I tamed that with some coils. I can not understand some of the guys that have these amps use unshielded input wiring while the seller gives shielded wire with the amps. They need shielded input wiring especially when it crosses output wiring !

Last edited: