Pin 8 to amp INN

With a balanced source:

Pin 1 to source signal +
Pin 2 to source ground
Pin 4 to source signal -
Pin 5 to amp INP
Pin 7 not connected
Pin 8 to amp INN
Cool, thanks. Yep, I meant 5 and 8 not 5 and 7. Will give this a shot sometime soon.

The source will only see the impedance of the input of the amplifier in series with the impedance of the cap (or parallel cap array) at any give frequency. The relative impedance of the cap and amp input at a given frequency will determine how much voltage exists across each, and this will determine LF roll-off (as frequency reduces and more voltage develops over the cap, less exists over the amp input). Cap ESR is trivial given the far higher series impedances in the system.

As I can't find my original reference on this, perhaps I got it all mixed up... Oh well. :hypno2:

Sorry quote made very long post so deleted. Did you check if the left 104 decouplingcapacitor in your picture is making contact?

Wiring to speakerterminals and pcb silkscreen have a Sure Electronics touch :) PCB silk probably mixed up polarity and then the Positive got soldered to black speakerterminal, which could make it correct again, but better check. Newer boards do not really care about polarity I would say...if components on pcb are not fakes they are good, complicated layout btw with 4th bootstrap cap placed after the inductors

Just to clearify, I meant to say that I will add more input caps in parallel with existing to increase the capacitance. And therefore lowering the corner frequency of the HPF. I am 100% sure its the caps value and not esr that determines the filter. Just a simple example: The caps have probably less that 0.1ohms resistance (pps and smd) and that compared to lets say 15k resistance in the amps input. You see a few ohms won't make a difference. But the capacitance value will have a great impact on the ac signal relative to the resistance (impedance) of the amps input. Those two makes the RC filter. Just type in cap value(C) and impedance(R) in any online RC HPF calculator to verify:)
If you increase gain=> lower impedance=>higher corner frequency.

zman01, adding more caps in paralell will work fine.

Hi,
Here is my system based on tpa3116:
yj board upgraded
raspberrypi + DAC (not usb but i2S to lower the jiter)
custom MPD setup based on raspbian, all musics played from my network at 24bits without loss.
I can change the music, volume, playlist etc... from my android phone
DAC is linked to a chinese buffer (upgrade in progress)
then the buffer is link to the modded tpa3116.

Well, I have no good amplifier to compare for hifi. I just have my DENON home cinema amplifier.
I can say it is very easy to ear the differences between the two, in favor of the TPA 3116.

Here a picture of my ststem (not complete)

Attachments

• 20140824_000747 ter.jpg
    20140824_000747 ter.jpg
    203.3 KB · Views: 771
Last edited:
Hi,
Here is my system based on tpa3116:
yj board upgraded
raspberrypi + DAC (not usb but i2S to lower the jiter)
custom MPD setup based on raspbian, all musics played from my network at 24bits without loss.

Thats a great little setup there, well done!
I'm also using an R-Pi with mpd (just usb dac and tripath), its been a very reliable and quiet running setup for nearly two years as well.

My first built Blue/Black board with Mod

Second built with Sowter input transformaer, no input cap.

The power SMPS power supply for driving all my D-amp testing with 2 330uF 10A choke.

Power from the SMPS will go into the choke first then go to the panasonic FC 4700 x6 before going to the board.

Got another set of 22uf 12A inductor to try on the board later, this is 3 times the size of the original.

The board with the sowter is more open and mids has more body. The SMPS is one of the best I had try , output 24VDC 5A and only cost 10$US, I will buy few more of this SMPS while they still available. The whole thing is coming together quite good.

My first built Blue/Black board with Mod

Second built with Sowter input transformaer, no input cap.

The power SMPS power supply for driving all my D-amp testing with 2 330uF 10A choke.

Power from the SMPS will go into the choke first then go to the panasonic FC 4700 x6 before going to the board.

Got another set of 22uf 12A inductor to try on the board later, this is 3 times the size of the original.

The board with the sowter is more open and mids has more body. The SMPS is one of the best I had try , output 24VDC 5A and only cost 10$US, I will buy few more of this SMPS while they still available. The whole thing is coming together quite good.
Hi, very nice builds, where did you get the smps from?

Syklab, nice builds. I am not surprised that the amp with the Sowter transformers on the inputs sounds more open with a fuller midrange.

I completed the bootstrap snubber mod today. Thanks xrk971 for enlightening us on this filter mod for the bootstrap caps. It really does what you and others have heard once it is implemented--it cleans up any high frequency hash on certain recordings. Strings are cleaner and sweeter sounding now.

image.jpg

This YJ blue amp is sounding like a fine tuned, refined amp now.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Syklab, nice builds. I am not surprised that the amp with the Sowter transformers on the inputs sounds more open with a fuller midrange.

I completed the bootstrap snubber mod today. Thanks xrk971 for enlightening us on this filter mod for the bootstrap caps. It really does what you and others have heard once it is implemented--it cleans up any high frequency hash on certain recordings. Strings are cleaner and sweeter sounding now.

View attachment 434879

This YJ blue amp is sounding like a fine tuned, refined amp now.

Rhing,
You are welcome! Glad it works out for you. Very nice execution of the bootstrap snubber mod there - clean 90 deg lines. I see you have quite a bit of stuff mounted on the bottom. :D