Toshiba sa-400

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I didn't see any tantalum on the board. However I was curious of what these clear things with capacitance markings were. The only thing I saw similar online were some pictures of similar ones that were supposedly glass...
"Use new organic membrane as the medium; The aluminium foil is the electrode; There are sensing types that are coiled; Envelopment of transparent resin; Copper plated CP outgoing line. The wide, insulation resistance of range of capacity is large, good electrical performance.

Suitable for generally filtering, the signal couples and low pulse circuit."

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
They are plain old polystrenes, very common and sometimes might be referred to as 'Suflex' types.

Leave them be :D Tuner remember... even moving them could alter the alignment of the RF stages as you change the stray capacitance and inductance as they relate to other nearby parts.

so at this point im not sure what to do other than start putting the old junk green caps back in and set the new ones aside
all the electrolytics have been changed with same value nichicons
and before i knew to leave the tuner alone, all the little green plastic film caps were replaced with nichicon qyx series

Attachments

• QYX SERIES.jpg
    QYX SERIES.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 188
Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
You mean you've broken it :eek:

The diagram you posted at the start is all you need. A full manual wont tell you any more beyond alignment procedures.

There is a pre/main switch with jumpers and sockets so if the switch was set incorrectly/and/or jumpers missing there would be no output. Check that, then check the basics. Begin with the why there is 1 volt acorss the speaker outputs. Check the rails as a first step.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Ripple current rating is (one) of the important factors when choosing replacement caps for a PSU. Modern caps are much smaller than those of yesteryear but it pays to be sure.

A soldered fuse is infinitely preferable to a holder... if you worked in a service dept you would be amazed at the number of faults/intermittent faults directly attributable to holders that had weakened and were causing an intermittent or high resistance connection.

I was also able to locate someone online who reproduces the service manuals!
Parts list, test points, adjustments, actual specs. Neat stuff!
According to this document. The original specs are.
0.8% distortion at rated power output
RMS power;
22w 4ohm
30w 8ohm
18w 16ohm

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.