things people say/do on ebay

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...ndexURL=0&photoDisplayType=2#ebayphotohosting

I DONT KNOW ALOT ABOUT THIS AMP, BUT THE PAPER ATTACHED TO IT SAYS THIS.

ADJUSTABLE FILAMENT TRANSFORMER

O-1.5 - 2 - 2.5 - 3.3 - 5 - 6.3 - 75 - 12.5 AND 25 VAC

(OFF AND 9 TAPS ON PRIMARY)

AS FOR THE OTHER THINGS PICTURED, I DONT KNOW IF IT IS FOR THE AMP OR NOT BUT I WILL SEND THEM WITH THIS TO WINNING BIDDER.

SOLD AS IS BECAUSE I DONT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT IT.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

yes one can easily get a bunch of laughs

they like to use the words like rare hard to find great speaker wow excellent sounding speaker

It is funny to see how they try to impress how great the low level components are a great find yeah I guess junkies who want junk would be happy

I do have to admit I have come across some great opportunities through ebay

you have to know what is rare versus what is rare junk LOL

keep the funny ebay messages coming

tomtt said:

was this the cable that smoked solid state amps?

```````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

best one in a long time -

SAVARD STEREO SPEAKERS EXTREMELY RARE!!
ONLY PAIR KNOWN TO EXIST! ENORMOUS SIZE AND SOUND!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...ndexURL=0&photoDisplayType=2#ebayphotohosting

e486_3.JPG

These beautiful vintage Savard Speakers were left to me by my father. They were custom made by the world-renown Savard Speaker Company in Baton Rouge, La. in the late 70's or early 80's. The name "Savard" was synonomous with Pevey, Harmon Kardon and other great speaker manufacturers of that era. To my knowledge, this is the only pair like this in existence! I cannot find a model number anywhere on the speakers, but the serial number on one of the speakers is 20092, which is still on the back of the speaker since it was purchased. The measurements are 52 3/4" tall, 21 1/2" across and 18" wide. They are enormous!! They have a stunning oak veneer covering, which was a Savard trademark, and are in fantastic shape!

Don't miss out on this one of a kind treasure! This pair is sure to give you years of wonderful listening pleasure and be something that truly will be a unique part of stereo equipment history!

This pair would be perfect for a nostalgic set up in a club, stereo room, theater or museum. I have been told by several stereo buffs and enthusiasts that the pair would appraise in the thousands, but not sure of the actual estimated value. This is a no reserve auction, so bid early and often!

Contact me if you have any questions. Remember, the last hour of bidding is usually very hectic, so keep an eye on your bidding at that time! Good luck!

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?hbest&949694379&openflup&13&4#13

"In the late 70's I heard "Savard" speakers. Very efficient, very cheap drivers, very dishonest demo. They sold based on loudness - did not let you adjust volume so a/b was at equal volume levels. The demo'd against Bose 901's WITHOUT the Bose equalizer in the circuit. Otherwise, the Bose killed them. That's right. They were that bad. "

I wish some would understand their own language

a person wrote 20 different picks what I got was 4 times the same piece of 5 different pieces. I gave him a negative feed back for doing that , then later he emails some obscene wording, If you had simple stated the truth of what I was buying I would not have wasted my time buying it and I bet most other people would not buy it either. I hated it people say something that is intentionally incorrect that clearly give a false impression. I am very selective of what I will buy.
Also I hate it when they have real high shipping charges, when I know that the cost is not even close, for they are making their profit more in the shipping.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
If you see outrageous shipping costs on eBay, just report it. (I do) eBay does not look kindly on that sort of thing, even tho it happens all the time.

Once I was going to buy a set of rather large JBL horns on eBay. Price was good, but shipping was very high, like $125. Doing a liltte investigative work I discovered that they must be shipping both horns together in the same box, so UPS was hitting them with a oversize charge.

I explained this to the seller in a polite email and said that if they were shipped seperately the total would be only $45. Got an email back saying "Shipping is $125." That's all.
Needless to say, I did not bid. Did not report them either, as the shipping charge was legit - just stupid. What you gonna do?

I'm sorry to say this, but in my experience this seems to be mainly a thing with some US sellers.

I recently bought some rare parts for an old fishing reel from two different sellers, both US based. Both purchases of similar size and weight, a week apart. First seller charged a couple of bucks, as expected - item arrived in four days, fine and well packed. Next seller wanted $15 postage for an item weighing 50 grams and the size of a few dimes. I pointed out the comparison between the two sellers' postage, and the response was like yours Pano; 'that's the cost, like it or lump it...'.

I've had similar postage gouging attempts from quite a few, not only on eBay.

Cheers

Stuey

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
I just found this listing on eBay

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=220436494384

If these are Peerless I'll eat them without tomato sauce, I have the same speakers in the same packaging, Buy-out from Dick Smith when they became
"just another chain store"

I paid $10- a pair and sold them off on ebay myself at $5- a pair as they were so bad
The tweeters aren't actually bad, but I paid $20- a pair and that's what they are worth

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=220432066566

Check out the sellers name and "Caveat Emptor"

Ted, I have those exact tweeters in my cupboard in the packaging right now. Cost me $9 for the pair from Dick Smith. At that price I thought a pair of speakers for the kids would make them worth buying.

The number on the back even matches. I'm going to send him a message.

Stuey

And the response:

Hi Stuey,
Thanks for your input, and there were a lot of old stock drivers that were cleared out by being off loaded to jaycar and dick smith.
For example the vifa SA130 speaker kits $1300 (which were an exact copy of a discontiued Dali speaker $3500).
I don't know where you were in 1989 when i bought these (to siut my jamo 707) but i had been doing electronics for 8 years at that time and since have dealt directly with Duntech, seas, Peerless, Krell companies to name a few.
I am pretty sure that the Krell amp i paid $6000
for was cleared out 5 years later for $2800 at Len Wallis.
And The philips mylar dome tweeter ($89 through philips) was cleared out at $25 a pair through Jaycar.
The same one Ralph from Richter Speakers used in his award winning Richter Wizards.
Regards....

You be the judge!

I certainly don't think I've lucked onto a pair of Peerless tweeters for $4.50 each...

Stu

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
Stuey the term "Audiofool Wankosia" comes to mind.

The response is right in one aspect, Jaycar did get a lot of close out stock from Vifa at one stage ( that's when i bought my stock of M-11s and P-11s and DN26s )
But to try and pass off cheap Taiwanese as Peerless is fraud of the lowest type.

BTW; those tweeters are a GOOD match for the discontinued Jaycar 5inch polycone, good combination for Rock'n'Roll, just need a woofer with a peaky bottom end to give that late 60's thump

Yeah, I remember comparing the Jaycar Vifas with the real thing and noting that they were a match (visually). That's a bit of a sport of mine - I like to spot where rebranding has been done and bargains hang out in all sorts of wares.

You're right though. This is BS and he didn't say anything which actually supports his claim. I actually expected a 'story' about how he got them from blah blah and they advised that they were blah blah, to support his OEM claim. But he didn't even try...

I got those tweets being the last pair in the shop, in a 'bargain bin'. Nice to see they aren't bad. I might even build a pair of outdoor speakers with them (suitably protected). So they aren't bad then?

Shame my question wasn't attached to the listing like on some, to raise the flag for others.

Stu

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
Well what did you expect? Honesty? with a handle like TrickyDicky?

I actually think that handle should warn people off.

I got 6 pairs of those tweeters myself, used 2 pairs already, "Rock'n'Roll " party boxes in one case; the others are my current listening pair, using Tandy 8inch midrange and a really simple XO.

Use a 2uF 8R? Zobel and LR at 3500.
Take the face plate off and glue on a soft felt pad on the pole piece, the Feltac cheap stick-on stuff is what I used 20mm diametre

Nah, but I expected he'd say 'thanks for that, didn't realise, I'll amend my listing'. Or at least a story which says how he's meant to have gotten these OEM drivers with a different faceplate.

I've now spun him a yarn and replied that I was a designer for a major US speaker maker in '89 (God forbid! I can't imagine the shite 'we'd' be turning out!) and 'we' were a major customer of Peerless blah blah and how he should be careful about what he claims on eBay. I can't resist taking the micky with these BS artists... :devilr:

Stuey

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.