The Pass Monster?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Crimestoppers!

I’m not too worried ‘bout the inductors. I recently added 1100 pounds of really big magnet wire to my Really Big Laboratory of Science. It’s from a local custom transformer winding company that is no longer (expired. kaput. pushing up daisies. an ex-company). A couple hundred pounds of it is some snazzy ¼-inch x ¼-inch square stuff. Plus, Magura PM’d with some great tips and even offered to wind ‘em :Present:.

The stall in progress was purely financial on my part. BUT, after many hours of high-powered negotiations, I convinced my CNC dude to do the work at MY preferred price. (Oh yeah, and I will re-calibrate some of his older analog CNC machines for him).

Sooooo, tomorrow I pick up four machined plates and start building power supplies. I’ll post pics as things come together.

Just to re-calibrate everyone, NP :wiz: has graciously provided schematics for everything except the front-end. His design aimed to make use of the major components I had on hand. My role is that of assembler and humble pupil. With GRollins :king: threatening to put a tube front-end on this puppy, I’m quite excited to learn even more than I originally bargained for. Awesome man!

-Casey Walsh

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
SmarmyDog said:
With GRollins :king: threatening to put a tube front-end on this puppy, I’m quite excited to learn even more than I originally bargained for.

Great. I envisioned a number of interesting front ends - the
power supply and output stage are huge but fairly generic,
so that we can modularize the whole project. So that Grey
doesn't feel put upon, there will be a solid stage front end ready,
and I will leave off a tube design so that he can contribute at
his own pace. This way we get many big amplifier designs to
play with.

:cool:

The line stage prototype is off my bench and in the living room system. It has been seen in public and has acquitted itself well. Ugly, but starting to sound fairly decent. At the moment it's housed in an old HP multimeter chassis. Long story there involving making lemonade out of lemons.
Getting that thing off my bench cleared a non-trivial amount of space. I've got the necessary high voltage stuff humming. Need to figure out an alternate filament supply, as my regular one went south. Not to worry, I've got options.
Got two or three circuits in mind, although I favor a fairly straightforward approach for the first stage. I have run up a normal differential cascode and am swapping variations in and out. One thing I'm trying to do is keep tube availibility in mind. There are lots of perfectly wonderful tubes that are either absurdly expensive (now--they weren't always) or difficult to get (ditto). My intention is to get this together with easily found tubes, not something involving the sacrifice of a wombat under a full moon with a glass-bladed knife.
Hopefully I'll have more to report in a few days.

Grey

Attachments

• img_0400_t.jpg
    img_0400_t.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 784
jacco vermeulen said:
looks like the construction of these babies will be a showcase too, Boss Pass will be pleased i think.
Already considering an audio show world tour, Casey ?

We have considered Hauling these babies out to CES for Show.

jh6you said:
All the blue caps for group buyers . . . ? ? ?

jH

Ummmm. all of those caps are going into these amps! 40 cans PER chassis!!!! 240 caps total required to complete 6 channels!!!!

Zc

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Uh . . . my humble amplifier uses nichicon 50V 10,000uF 8/ch. to regulate the rail voltages to +/-11V. I in imaginary fears scale up mine to your size . . . 40/ch . . . awesome . . .

Interested in this monster.
You will successfully build a real cinema soon 6Dly surrounded by nice Pass monster sound.

Regards
jH

SmarmyDog said:
I managed to spend a couple hours today on the project. I de-burred and de-greased the plates and started bolting components to one of them. Here are a couple snapshots and links to higher resolution pictures:

(click here for hi-res photo #1)

(click here for hi-res photo #2)

-Casey Walsh

What in god sake are you going to do with all them caps.. that is so many.. That is just insane..

Insanity is the first step on the long path to wisdom.

Grey

P.S.: Yes, that can be read many ways. Take it as layers of meaning, but remember that I am involved in some way in this project so keep some of the less flattering interpretations to yourself.
Today I pulled some parts to build a new filament supply. With luck I'll have time to assemble them tomorrow. Then I can get back to the circuit.

jleaman said:

What in god sake are you going to do with all them caps.. that is so many.. That is just insane..

THAT, my dear friend is why this thing is called "Tha Pass MONSTER" hahahahahha

We talking 600lbs per amp estimated, each amp will consist of 3 chassis. One to house the transformers and a few caps and all the inrush limiting and cap bank discharging circuits ets. thats what Smarmy Dog is working on now. chassis number 2 will house 20 caps and the 2 monster sized inductors, and chassis 3 will hold another 20 caps and all the magical stuff!!!

Now, if we can get someone with a machine shop to donate 12 pairs of monster sized heatsink plates! we would be in good shape. But 1 we still havent got the exact size of them worked out yet. but we know we need them 28" long and at least 20" wide with a fin height of 2" at least at a guess. we can machine them down to exact size after that.

I am still hunting my surplus sources for something that can be fabbed or modified.

Zc

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.