The Pass Monster?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
imix500 said:
jealman, I have had good luck with www.cameltraders.com/ They're sort of a supply house for the entertainment industry. Good prices too. But just about any Theatrical or Concert lighting shop will sell them. Btw, Cam Locks do come in two sizes, a smaller version rated for 100A and the larger more common size rated at 400A.http://www.cameltraders.com

are you talking to me ?

it jleaman : O )

Nelson Pass said:
Apparently there are only a couple of factories in the world
making the big cans, and it is likely that there is little difference
between Mallory, Philips, et al.

You guys are nuts!....now.....where do I sign?

'Tis my understanding that the Mallory caps are 'subbed out' to a 'local to Toronto' Canadian Firm. They will entertain making anything you want. Now if I can only remember what that company is. Once upon a time, I made some phone calls about custom design..and this is the info I came up with.

Custom design orders came in at a 500 lot minimum, but anything that they can stuff into their biggest can size is available, for a fee.

Maybe one of the guys on the forum here, from the Toronto area can come up with the name of the company. I mean, Nelson, why go through Mallory, (that is - - - if you use Mallory) when you can be buying from the guys that make the Mallory caps? (Classe uses the same source point) Send me an email via my company (www) profile, and I'll put in the few hours (thinking and checking) to once again track down the name of that company. It's always nice to cut costs while the MSRP remains the same....and the quality goes up. I mean, it's going to hell everywhere else these days with the chinese buying up all the raw materials....may as well get -some- of the costs down.

Oh..it's a coming back to me... I think...

If you call the Canadian Mallory phone numbers (I have their catalogs around here somewhere) you are talking directly to the company involved. Yeah..that's it. Due to this revelation, methinks there may be little or no price advantage. Oh well. Who knows? phone calls don't hurt. big-*** invoices do.

Imagine, if you will... 4"x9"... 100V... 20kuf equivalents to the Mallory "Viper" caps...Oooooooo....

Monster amp connectors.

Smarmy Dog, I will look and see if I have enough to make six pairs. I am sure I have the plugs, the sockets may need a few purchased to complete the sets. These came off of a large power system from Ma Bell. I have not given up, I am in process of building a big amp for subwoofer use. My son is doing a fundraiser for his youth group and He is the D.J.
This may go along with the monster idea, I was trying to figure a way to reproduce the "woofer" in the Back To The Future movie. Half of a semi truck innertube for surround? Hmmmm.......

Speaker terminals for the monster.

ZC, Smarmy,
I did some digging and came up with six pairs of the big connectors. They are rated 600 volts, 250 amps. They are still being sold and they are $90 for a matched plug and socket. I have just enough sockets for six pair. Not sure if this is obvious but the socket front is all that is seen from the outside of the panel they get mounted in. The sockets have 1/2 inch studs and the plugs have a .78 inch hole in the end with a 1/4-20 gold plated bolt for wire terminal. I have quite a few extra plugs if anybody is interested in buying/trading for a set. I have the spec sheet and mechanical drawings for them on my computer. If anybody wants a copy, email me and I will send it to you.
Regards, Steve

I think I'll go and visit them. see exactly how these things are made,and see what I can do to improve them. I'm sure I can finda few mods to their process to enhance quality specifically for audio. I'm specifically looking to increase current throughput, transient draw linearity(time and linearity through the draw time period..I'm describing it that way for a specific reason...a bizzare take on why tube amps sound good), and frequency range..ie, eddy currnet and associated phenomena.

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I stumbled onto some big chokes at Apex Jr. Maybe they could even be big enough to help with your project.

One is a Stancor Model # C-2692 EI core that weighs about 35-40 lbs ea. 39.95 ea. + $8 shipping. He has 6
I guess it has multiple windings so its specs are:

In series
24 mH @ 20 amps and .10 Ohm DCR

In parallel:
6 mH @ 40 amps and .0250 Ohm DCR
(I may have this wrong-you would think it would be 80 Amps - maybe it is.)

I am ordering some of these-which is why I called him:

http://www.apexjr.com/images/AVEMCOMAGNETICS.jpg
They are toroid chokes 8mH 16 amps He says they are 8uH in his writeup but the label is probably right.

They are $20 each and are in his "new arrivals" catagory

I got 4 - 2 for each channel of my SOZ . He has like 24 more coming.

I have no connection to Apex Jr - just like those chokes!!

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
This whole thread has become fixated on the inductors, which
are not that important. Realistically, you don't need that much
inductance (1 mH is more than enough) and the actual
continuous current will never be all that high, assuming that
we are playing music with this thing.

:cool:

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I don't really see that much similarity. The two principals are doing the work, and sebsequentally becoming fixated on the various parts they need to address in order to put the thing together. I doubt very much if the comments by others here are impeding their progress, as the bystanders have no power over them. I mentioned the inductors because it appeared that THEY were fixated and stuck on getting the right inductors, and I thought that this might allow them to get ahead.

They really have to focus on a few things at a time, before the inductors it was the caps, and as they tried to figure that out, the bystanders got into cap discussions. Not a lot of harm in that I'd think.

I think Nelson's comment was addressing the danger of focusing on one issue that is causing problems, while there are plenty of others to address. Often people become discouraged when one thing isn't working out and the whole project stagnates.

On the other hand, part of the point of this amp is show biz. We are all being entertained by this project mainly because it is so over the top. Otherwise it wouldn't continue to be a sold out thread!

We on the perimeter can't really do much, and I hope these discussions show the builders that we are interested, and give them some support

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.