Simple Killer Amp Constructor Thread

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have just received my SKA kit and instructions.

The C1 in the SKA is an input blocking capacitor in case there is DC coming from your preamp. With an input impedance of 27K you could use a 1uF polyester which would fit in the PCB space or better but larger is polypropylene - like Wima MKP.

But you only need one if you have DC coming from your preamp.

Hi,
careful, this could be bad advice.
But you only need one if you have DC coming from your preamp.

If you choose to run two or more amplifiers from a single source, then all the amps except one MUST have a blocking cap on them to prevent the input bias currents interfering with each other.

If you do plan to run multiple amps off one source then the lowest frequency amp is the ONE to omit the blocking cap from.

I do run multiple amps in a passive bi-amped system and I plan to add a sub-bass to my existing (DC blocked) three amps per channel set-up. I have the option on either the Leach clone or KSA50 Klone to bypass the input DC blocking cap. Problem solved.

SKA: work in progress

A few pics of my SKA

Attachments

• p1010002.jpg
    p1010002.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 1,452
Second listen - GB150D

Just about finished my GB150D - just final bias and put the cover on. So far I'm just blown away by the dynamics and detail. When I first connected up a couple of days ago and turned it on the silence was so uncanny I thought there was some kind of issue. It was a remarkable experience to hear the sound coming out of that silence as I turned up the volume.

The blue led shown in this view is still a bit bright - even after adding a 220R and then a 2k6 resistor so I think I'll try adding one more to try and tone it down before closing up.
rez

Attachments

• front view.jpg
    front view.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 1,597
Rez, That is some mighty fine panel work.

Would you be able to post a pic of the front panel ?
It just looks so good.

What kind of cable is it going from
the input RCA to the input on the PCB?

Have to agree with your impressions of its
qualities as an amp.

KLe : It sounds exceptional .. Ive been looking
for a way of powering Linkwitz Orions.

Ive found it.

Wish I could take credit for the panel work but the chassis is a kit from DesignBuildListen in New Zealand. Although it was a bit tricky to implement I used Belden 89259 on the basis that if it was good for the Jon Risch formula IC it would be good to carry the same wire from the rca to the amp board. Will post another pic when I've finished biasing, tweaking the front LED and covering it up.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.