Simple Killer Amp Constructor Thread

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
No noise...at last!!!

Finally, the amp is "dead quiet"!!! There is no noise and yes...it's the quietest amp I've ever built, and all these thanks to Greg's advices. I posted some photos of my final construction. The wiring was correct from the first time, so I guess there's something got to do with my previous layout. I want to thank Greg for his constant support...and the most amazing thing of all, is that he found what was wrong by only looking to a photo that I sent to him!!!
I strongly recommend the GB150D!!! Just built it and take a listen to it...this is one of the best amps I've ever heard;Greg is a great guy, he'd never got tired answering to my emails( and believe me, they were so many...more than 50)

Thanasis.

Attachments

• inside.jpg
    inside.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 1,552
Re: No noise...at last!!!

msamkl said:
Finally, the amp is "dead quiet"!!! There is no noise and yes...it's the quietest amp I've ever built, and all these thanks to Greg's advices. I posted some photos of my final construction. The wiring was correct from the first time, so I guess there's something got to do with my previous layout. I want to thank Greg for his constant support...and the most amazing thing of all, is that he found what was wrong by only looking to a photo that I sent to him!!!
I strongly recommend the GB150D!!! Just built it and take a listen to it...this is one of the best amps I've ever heard;Greg is a great guy, he'd never got tired answering to my emails( and believe me, they were so many...more than 50)
Thanasis.

Hi msamkl
Excellent news :cool: Very nice layout :cool: What was the problem :att'n:

You are absolutely correct :D This is one excellent amp and I keep telling people how good it is, but, they don't seem to believe me :cubehead: You know the old saying ... You can bring a horse to water, but, you can't make it drink:drink:

Also, it would be nice if they allowed Greg back onto the forum. That would be a nice gesture, wouldn't it :2c:
:cheers:

I'm not sure...

AndrewT said:
Hi Msamkl,
tell the cure/change that brought about silence.

I'm not sure, but I think that since the ground wiring was correct all the time, it had something to do with the distance between the amp's modules and the psus(in my previous layout, the psus were closer to the amp's modules). Also, I had the power supply wires from psu connected under the amp's modules. Greg, advised me to take the psus away from the amp's modules and connect the power supply wires on the upper side of the amp's modules. If you take a look to my first picture of the layout (post #135),you'll notice the differencies.

Re: Re: No noise...at last!!!

KLe said:

Hi msamkl
Excellent news :cool: Very nice layout :cool: What was the problem :att'n:

You are absolutely correct :D This is one excellent amp and I keep telling people how good it is, but, they don't seem to believe me :cubehead: You know the old saying ... You can bring a horse to water, but, you can't make it drink:drink:

Also, it would be nice if they allowed Greg back onto the forum. That would be a nice gesture, wouldn't it :2c:
:cheers:

Hi KLe, I have nothing but to agree with you! The GB150D is great, so is Greg too.

Thanasis.

Re: No noise...at last!!!

msamkl said:

Thanasis.

msamkl said:

Nice rig msamkl! :cool:

I like the power trannies in their own compartment.

Cheers,

Terry

softstart

I just ordered my GB150D from Greg. Planning a dual mono setup, and I have 2 300VA transformers lying around - do I need a soft-start for this, or can I just use a slow-blow fuse?

There's a provision to put in an LED (R25 I think) - what voltage/current specs is suitable?

I remember reading one of the posts where Greg mentioned a few resistors and capacitors which we can change to 'better' components - I can't seem to find it now. Anyone can help with that?

Thanks!

Hello There!

I just got my GB300 kit. Soldering should not a problem, however, picking the correct components for the PS worries me. I would appreciate any suggestions for the following:

* transformer. I would like to go the single transformer route. Should I get the 500VA or the 800VA - the price differennce is only 10USD. More importantly, what should the secondaries rating should it have?

* PS caps - what minimum voltage rating shold they have?

* Is the "68A 600V IXYS FRED Bridge Rectifier" a good choice ?

Thanks in advance,

Y.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Transformer secondary rating - I would go for 40-42V, then you can do with electrolytes at 63V ( 2x22.000uF) - you wont get the highest possible power, but in return you better current rating , and MAYBE better sound

500watt should be sufficient - at 800watt you may need a "softstart", but this higher power might introduce more noise

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.