Resistor Sound Quality?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So are thick film hybrids due to make a bit of a comeback?

http://www.acoustica.org.uk/DPA/images/50pre_opamps.jpg are currently in my phono stage.

Many modules such as Picor active filters and some linear SMPS modules are effectively hybrid designs in a case, do quite a few of these. And BGAs are also a hybrid of sorts, generally a chip on a PCB interposter with the odd capacitor. The next few weeks I am at Flight Refuelling where I will be doing various modules and PCBs, quite a few modules are done for space and near space environments, die bonding etc, but also a lot of small SMD devices easier and better than trying to screen ink on a module for the resistors these days, all sealed in a hermetic can with through hole legs.

There is not such a thing as the best sounding resistor. Depends on the design. Keep away from magnetic resistors.

True !! But in a highly resolving system, you can easily hear their "sound" signature. Still, some resistors are generally better sounding in various positions (as in wider choices) than others BUT that's not because one sounds best in a given position/design that it guarantees it will be the best choice somewhere else.

You have to try and listen to determine what's best per position/design/gear/system...tastes!

And, yes, magnetic resistors tend to have a splashy high mids/treble (coloration) when compared to their non-magnetic counterparts.

Regards
Scorpion

And, yes, magnetic resistors tend to have a splashy high mids/treble (coloration) when compared to their non-magnetic counterparts.

You're not understanding the superb refulgence that they add to a circuit. Removing the magnetic component tends to orient the sound to an obsequious muddle. That's the secret to the magic of tubes- they are highly magnetic, so the wonderful refulgence can burst forth and caress the ears of the listener.

Cruel, I am still trying to catch up with the other thread regarding Ange and other French bands from the 70's (Magma, Gong)... If I could have been born anywhere it would have been France, but as look took its toll I had to settle for Furjana.

"I had to settle in Furjana" : sorry my bad english but didn't understand this part of the sentence ! Furjana, Malta aera ? English expression ?

Ah, I asked my older brother, unfornatully he has not Ange LP (vynils from this blessed times) left ! But feel free to ask me for some good other french LP.

Did you try french youtube and soft to catch and convert in mp3, they have Ange LP,sure not in FLAC or wave ? Can help you if you want : you need the Fox explorer and a free soft to catch the audio stream! Let me know by PM !

on Topic : I swapped a takman 150 ohms in serie on the output of a dac just after the buffer by an Allen Bradley to follow the advices of the designer who is a famous one about TDA1541.

Well I didn't believe a 150 ohms could be hearable but clearly it was and not jut a little : here the takman add a bad dull signature and the Allen Bradley gave just the good tonal balance without any other problem (it was more transparent for the ears !) !

SO despite the carbon composition and Johnson noise etc... the Allen Bradley was the good choice in this particular place and circuit...

Last edited:
Eldam said:
SO despite the carbon composition and Johnson noise etc... the Allen Bradley was the good choice in this particular place and circuit...
Of course it is not possible that the excess noise and non-linearity of a CC resistor was the reason for it being preferred here?

Johnson noise for a CC resistor is precisely the same as for a metal film resistor, or carbon film, or wirewound (or chicken's entrails) at the same temperature. It is excess noise which varies for resistor type, and CC is one of the worst.

"I had to settle in Furjana" : sorry my bad english but didn't understand this part of the sentence ! Furjana, Malta aera ? English expression ?

Ah, I asked my older brother, unfornatully he has not Ange LP (vynils from this blessed times) left ! But feel free to ask me for some good other french LP.

Did you try french youtube and soft to catch and convert in mp3, they have Ange LP,sure not in FLAC or wave ? Can help you if you want : you need the Fox explorer and a free soft to catch the audio stream! Let me know by PM !

on Topic : I swapped a takman 150 ohms in serie on the output of a dac just after the buffer by an Allen Bradley to follow the advices of the designer who is a famous one about TDA1541.

Well I didn't believe a 150 ohms could be hearable but clearly it was and not jut a little : here the takman add a bad dull signature and the Allen Bradley gave just the good tonal balance without any other problem (it was more transparent for the ears !) !

I was born in Malta, Floriana (Furjana in Maltease)...

Status
Not open for further replies.