Resistor Sound Quality?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find the clamping style is necessary, especially for the smaller parts.
Yes, that is usually the case. What is unusual about the original TRIM tweezers is that they were so beautifually machined from stiff steel that they will grip anything, with the lightest of touches. Unlike all the modern tweezers I've found, where the ends don't meet one another evenly, so you have to squeeze them hard, but then they try to bend in on themselves and the object you're trying to hold pings off into the distance... It's one of those "how can a tool be this good? They're just tweezers for Pete's sake, how different can they be?!"

What is unusual about the original TRIM tweezers is that they were so beautifually machined from stiff steel that they will grip anything, with the lightest of touches. It's one of those "how can a tool be this good? They're just tweezers for Pete's sake, how different can they be?!"

I think most here would agree that a good tool is a joy to use. Keeps your blood pressure down, too.

I tweeze, grab, bend and cut with Erem Swiss made stuff, available from RS. Expensive only at the moment you buy, will last forever.

On soldering smd, it helps to lightly pre solder one of the solder pads, and then just slide the part into its location. With one side fixed, the other side is a breeze.

terrences said:
Enjoy your sycophancy marce, you and DF96 should review the studies on stockholm syndrome.
As far as I am aware I have never been taken hostage. People who know me will know that I have an unfortunate habit of questioning 'authorities' - it sometimes gets me into trouble. It is a refreshing change to be accused of sycophancy. Thank you!

Please can we talk about resistors?

I broke down and bought a used Hakko hot air rework station and keep a tube of Chip Quik in the fridge. Makes the job orders of magnitude easier.

I don't have shaky hands, but with hot air component placement isn't critical as the surface tension of the solder will move the component in to place. When I used an iron the part just wanted to stick to the tip unless I held it down, which was a PITA.

Last edited:
I tweeze, grab, bend and cut with Erem Swiss made stuff, available from RS. Expensive only at the moment you buy, will last forever.

On soldering smd, it helps to lightly pre solder one of the solder pads, and then just slide the part into its location. With one side fixed, the other side is a breeze.

Actually I broke a pair of their diagonal cutters. The screw nut on the screw holding them together broke! Sent them back under warranty and 8 months later got my replacement pair.

Erem and Wiha are my tool makers of choice although I like the Czech made wood chisels.

Its a good paper and worth linking twice:)
Now here is an example of what is coming in resistor size, 008004, currently some caps are available but I do know one resistor manufacturer is looking at resistors... they will be for specific applications such as digital termination next to the BGA balls and underneath the BGA device etc....:D
Obviously these wont be suitable for analogue, but will be perfect for digital termination, I should imagine power rating is going to be rather small, but as digital signal voltages keep decreasing so devices can swing from 0 to full voltage fast enough it wont be a problem.
Oh that's the 0.5/0.4mm and smaller pitch BGA's not the HUGE 1mm pitch devices...one our guys has drawn a short straw and has a board with 8,000 components and 19,000 connections!!!!!!!!
Oh the other devices are 0201's and 0402s'

Attachments

• 008004_CAPS.png
    008004_CAPS.png
    7.1 KB · Views: 250
Last edited:
Wurth do embedded passives, where the actual devices are sandwiched in the laminates, and embedded ICs bump mounted in milled slots with conductive epoxy for the connection...very very expensive, but useful in devices that pull high G-forces and quite severe vibration (shelf life is not an issue as the PCBs are use once, and not recoverable after use).

I have only used 0201s regularly and the next size down on a development board or two, assembly even by machine is a pain and re-work impossible, so the realy small devices get used in small handheld throw away devices...

Last edited:
In some cases the relevant period might not be zero crossing times but signal envelope times. If a tiny feedback resistor heated up too much during loud passages then the gain could vary. Avoiding this is just engineering.

The result would be compression or expansion (changing the dynamics) not more THD, and difficult to measure. Probably similar to voice coil heating dynamic effects. Not a wanted effect (although if the time constants right an increase in dynamics may sound better on all the over compressed music out there). All said I still believe these effects are inaudible exept in extreme cases.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Wurth do embedded passives, where the actual devices are sandwiched in the laminates, and embedded ICs bump mounted in milled slots with conductive epoxy for the connection...very very expensive, but useful in devices that pull high G-forces and quite severe vibration (shelf life is not an issue as the PCBs are use once, and not recoverable after use).

I have only used 0201s regularly and the next size down on a development board or two, assembly even by machine is a pain and re-work impossible, so the realy small devices get used in small handheld throw away devices...

I used to work for a company that did small handheld as well as large stuff at the other end of the radio link. Ten years ago when we parted company they were seriously looking at embedded passives for some of the monster DSP boards that were 16 odd layers. Not followed what has happened since then so had assumed the tech was now mainstream. Clearly not.

I've been using Optivizors for years. The newer Versions also has a fold-Down extra loupe.
Takes a while to get used to for some, but it is by far my most important tool these days.
At work I also have an inspection microscope that I can also use for soldering the very smallest part....

It will be interesting as the technology advances, in time we will have inkjet printers with conductive ink, dielectric in another tank and resistive material in yet another.

We already do. I know of several companies offering this stuff commercially, and one division of the company I currently work for specializes in using it for things like RFID and security systems.

Of course, that's where I've seen it on printed RFID tags. As I said its not an area I do PCB design in, just normal multi layer rigid and flex. I would appreciate any links to info you could PM me please, as I have been working on some flexible aerials, and flex circuits are causing us some problems getting the correct impedance, keeping costs down and actually flexing in both x and y dimensions (thin rectangles, that have to form quite complex curves and flex, longevity is not a problem).

Status
Not open for further replies.