Resistor Sound Quality?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great résistors than the malteases ! Btw the littliest State (in Rome) of the world than the "Croix de Malte" (which is not the Malte State) ! It's funky they have an ambassad in Malte !

These résistors always sound good for the others :)... everywhere !

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2010
YMMV..:D

Ah Well..

Has anyone tried sealing CC's with epoxy..just asking...
Oh look Audio note like using epoxy..look at the resistors.

https://kondosoundlabs.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/preamp_g70_021.jpg

So here is the question..have they just put epoxy on the resistors or ground away the end caps and soldered silver lead out wires on and covered with epoxy?

Regards
M. Gregg

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2010
Another YMMV..

Here fresh from the snake..

It depends on the position in circuit..Bake your cake and eat it..

I wish I could find some old carbon rod resistors to try in the cathode of the output tubes just for fun of course..

I don't like the pink carbon takmans old carbon film sound better..

Tantalum.. I use them a lot now..however I didn't like them in other circuits...wonder why...probably cap choice oups that snake again..LOL

Takman MF are OK..

I use Kiwame in higher voltage positions...

Grid to ground position MF sound bright..Tants sound better..

I'm not a fan of Holco..another YMMV..:D
Mills I like..a small one in the cathode of the first tube can be interesting..

Regards
M. Gregg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Baking resistors and a few other components in a low temperature oven is a recognised way of aging/stabilising their value. This is especially so in devices that could absorb/adsorb water vapour.

CC resistors fall into this bracket.

It could be that kondosoundlabs have found they are getting better stability by getting a series of CC baked and epoxied to improve their terrible performance.

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
Well,

Looking at the pic the black resistors look like Dales, and the others are either Takman MF or Tantalum..both of which I don't think are CC so whats the epoxy for?

I think they have cut the leads off filed the end flat and soldered silver lead outs direct to the end caps...the reason is look at the position of the lead outs they are not in the middle of the epoxy. Not one in the middle of the resistor!

I have done this in the past with carbon film..its easy to do!

Regards
M. Gregg

Last edited:
I general the grey ones offer a dull and non distinct sound, with a very limited palette ( as in: "in the dark, all cats are gray) , hard to pickup from the background, while blues has a sad but definite emotion implied, related to historical suffering of the slaves in the Plantations in the Southern States.

I general the grey ones offer a dull and non distinct sound, with a very limited palette ( as in: "in the dark, all cats are gray) , hard to pickup from the background, while blues has a sad but definite emotion implied, related to historical suffering of the slaves in the Plantations in the Southern States.

Generally speaking there are helpful and knowledgable people who can help to make the difference between original and fake products.
I have got the answer from one of them.

More specifically speaking you are something else.

:D
Very cynical of you though....
On a more serious note, how much difference would a resistor make, I presume different types would have different levels of distortion, but what levels are we talking?

:D
Very cynical of you though....
On a more serious note, how much difference would a resistor make, I presume different types would have different levels of distortion, but what levels are we talking?

I seem to recall seeing some test info that suggested that the old nasty carbon comp resistors from the 1940's to the 1970s had noise and distortion floors that were like 90 or 100 dB down in typical circuits.

I know that back in the day I upgraded phono preamps I initially built with the old 5% and 10% bakelite-cased carbon comps to the fanciest 1% and better metal film and wirewound resistors from the surplus market (often just about given away) with no measurable or audible results.

Status
Not open for further replies.